News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Grey Knights Terminators

Started by GreaterGoodNewZealand, April 09, 2013, 10:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreaterGoodNewZealand

Hey guys. I'm looking at getting into Grey Knights, specifically doing a terminator force with 2 squads of 5 terminators with psycannons, a brother captain and a dreadnought with dual twin linked autocannons. This would be a 1000 point army, and I wanted to know what would be the best way to go about it? I've got one squad of terminators already which are equipped with halberds. So what's good to have in a Grey Knights terminator force? Is there anything I need to avoid?
I wrote a tabletop war game! It can be found here  http://thatkiwiguy.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/5/ -  if people wish to read the rules. Still working on some of the factions and most of the background.

Saulus

I too have been interested in starting Grey Knights. Here is a thread of a recent brief conversation on terminator loadouts.

http://secondsphere.org/index.php?topic=1112.0
No fear. No mercy. No matter what.

Arguleon-veq

Ideally, you want your GK termies in big squads of 10.

Your best bet for equipment on them are Psycannons, Psybolt Ammo and a mix of Hammerd and Swords. As you already have Halberds just swap those in for some Swords. Brotherhood Banners are also great.

The Dread is a nice choice so long as you give him Psybolts.

Really not sure on the Brother Captain though in order to keep the Termie theme you could take a Demonhunter Inquisitor in Termie Armour, Demonhammer, Psycannon and make him a Lvl1 Psyker. This will give you Prescience from Divination which will let a Termie unit re roll misses and he adds some extra Thunder Hammer attacks to the unit. The other good thing about him as that he is easy to make, just use a normal GK Termie with the above loadout and paint him red.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

GreaterGoodNewZealand

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on April 10, 2013, 06:07:03 PM
Ideally, you want your GK termies in big squads of 10.

Your best bet for equipment on them are Psycannons, Psybolt Ammo and a mix of Hammerd and Swords. As you already have Halberds just swap those in for some Swords. Brotherhood Banners are also great.

The Dread is a nice choice so long as you give him Psybolts.

Really not sure on the Brother Captain though in order to keep the Termie theme you could take a Demonhunter Inquisitor in Termie Armour, Demonhammer, Psycannon and make him a Lvl1 Psyker. This will give you Prescience from Divination which will let a Termie unit re roll misses and he adds some extra Thunder Hammer attacks to the unit. The other good thing about him as that he is easy to make, just use a normal GK Termie with the above loadout and paint him red.

Thanks for the reply! Well, I glued the halberds on because I thought they looked really cool and own no magnets. But my idea thus far has been squads of only 5, but your suggestion of 10 is much better. So a squad of 10 with swords, a brotherhood banner and however many psycannons you're allowed per squad, and however many hammers, and then add psybolts if I have points left over would be good?
Sadly I don't have the codex yet, and am going off what I remember from the last time I really read it last year. That is why I didn't put up a list.

The dread was always going to get psybolts. At a 1000 points I know I'll be up against armour so I need whatever I can get to fight back against it while keeping to the terminator theme.

I'm liking the terminator inquisitor idea. Ideally, my terminator force would have been a grey knight specific commander, which is why I had the brother captain, an inquisitor done to represent an Ordo Hereticus inquisitor and a 500 point allied detachment of Sisters of Battle. However, I will definitely consider that other inquisitor.

And I wanted to know if paladins would work at this level? I like the idea of them and want to field them if I can. Although I'm thinking I should scrap that idea unless I somehow wind up with a lot of points left over.
I wrote a tabletop war game! It can be found here  http://thatkiwiguy.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/5/ -  if people wish to read the rules. Still working on some of the factions and most of the background.

Chicop76

I have to look at my codex, but I believe it's one psycannon per 5 terminators.

With the hammers it's a swap out if I remember correctly, so you can have 10 hammers I believe.

A note on the swords is they give +1 attack and very expensive, and not +2 attack. The halbreds allow you to go before or at the same time with most models.

Archon Sharrek

Yep, 1 Psycannon per 5 Terminators. Hammers are indeed a swap out (for Free!), so you can have as many as you like.

Chicop you're thinking of falchions, Swords buff your Invul by +1 in CC, so good to have on Terminators, especially those who can't get Storm Shields.

Now, for my main reason for posting, Paladins in a low points game. They rock, mostly because few people expect them at that level (like Tank Spam). I usually run them with a mix of Hammers and Halberds to go before the enemy, to reduce the incoming attacks due to the low numbers of Paladins in the unit (I used to add an Apoth for the same reason, but lately FnP just hasn't been doing it for me), and the Hammers to bring the pain to everything (including sneaky tanks, friend of mine loves bringing an Armoured Company even at low points). Sometimes, if I want a bodyguard unit for my Bro-Cap I'll take 'em with Swords and a Apoth and watch everything bounce off. But yes, they get expensive really quickly, so if you're worried about them you're better off leaving them at home in the long run.

And everything Arguleon has said is excellent advice.
Taking the theme of Tau and Dark Eldar allies, and having fun with it.

"That's EVIL EMPEROR ZURGIE-BABY, TO YOU!" - Evil Emperor Zurg

"Jim-cracking Dandy!" - Evil Emperor Zurg

Chicop76

My bad. The swords is not a bad choice. Although a mix of swords, halbreds and hammers would be a good way to go.

Personally if you want to use the brother champlain if my memory serves me correctly you can do this.

1. Make your dreadnought scoring
2. Have scout moves
3. Or re roll ones I believe

Also you can take rad grenades. With this character I like to used the +2 invulnrable save option. It's great for challenges and helps keep your rad grenade bearer alive.

The inquisitor is what I usually go for. I use the xeno inquisitor I think. The Ordo Inquisitor is the terminator Inquisitor. If you decide to go this route I reconmend getting the forge worldmodel. It looks soooooooooo awesome
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Grey-Knights/INQUISITOR-LORD-HECTOR-REX-AND-RETINUE.html

Alcibiates

Hammers are unlimited for Terminators (And for all units, AFAIK) however, it becomes an issue that they're so hard to get... You get one hammer per box of GK power armor or terminator armor. When you can find them as bits, they sell for about $5 each.

I would opt for an Inquisitor in terminator armor with a psycannon--bringing your unit total to three. Unfortunately, the last interpretation of the rules that I saw meant that you could not take prescience with your run of the mill inquisitor because they are assigned a power and do not roll for them, so you're stuck with hammerhand. That being said, double hammerhand in your paladin/terminator squad means you wound just about everything on twos, and means you don't need to fuss with the hammers, IMO. Maybe one or two for those odd moments, but swords and halberds will win out, typically.

Chicop76

Quote from: Alcibiates on April 11, 2013, 05:22:19 PM
Hammers are unlimited for Terminators (And for all units, AFAIK) however, it becomes an issue that they're so hard to get... You get one hammer per box of GK power armor or terminator armor. When you can find them as bits, they sell for about $5 each.

I would opt for an Inquisitor in terminator armor with a psycannon--bringing your unit total to three. Unfortunately, the last interpretation of the rules that I saw meant that you could not take prescience with your run of the mill inquisitor because they are assigned a power and do not roll for them, so you're stuck with hammerhand. That being said, double hammerhand in your paladin/terminator squad means you wound just about everything on twos, and means you don't need to fuss with the hammers, IMO. Maybe one or two for those odd moments, but swords and halberds will win out, typically.

My bloodthirster laughs and says no hammers please. Anyway you can buy thunder hamer bits and storm shields from gw. You have to take the storm shields with the hammers, but you can always use te shields for crusaders.

Arguleon-veq

The Inquisitors can take rulebook lores but for some reason brother captains, grand masters etc cant, not sure why they FAQ'd it like that.

Hammers are mainly for the AP2 whilst the Swords are to take the early hits in combat thanks to the +1 to your invul save.

I personally dont rate Paladins at this points level, they dont score without Draigo [who is too much at this level] and if somebody brings along lascannons or demolisher cannons they are going to die just as easy as a normal termie but without scoring and costing more points. I think you need Draigo to make Paladins really worthwhile because he can take hits on his stormshield at the front of the unit when people are putting S8+ AP2 weapons at them.

X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chicop76

If he takes the brother chap he can make his paladins score nd don't have to use draigo.

GreaterGoodNewZealand

Thanks for all your help, guys. I'll write up a 1000 point list for your critique later, and I'll get myself a copy of the codex today. I'll go with the 2 squads of 10 terminators with swords, halberds, 2 hammers and 2 psycannons in each, and a rifleman dreadnought. Beyond that, I'll talk to the guys at my local GW about it and see what they say. And if I have enough points I might throw in a couple of paladins who may or may not end up with incinerators. Slightly hung over from my 21st last night, so if this doesn't make sense, tell me.