News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Tau/Eldar vs. Daemons in "50 Shades of Grey" (1500, 5/4)

Started by BigToof, May 04, 2013, 11:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

Tau/Eldar vs. Daemons in "50 Shades of Grey" (1500, 5/4)
--------------------------------

Hi All,
You asked for it, and here it is:
Tau and Eldar vs Daemons
The Greater Good and Craftworld's finest against the embodiments of Chaos itself.
And what a battle it was...
Oh, and there's fluff as well.  :)

Enjoy!

Best,
-BT

------------
The Lists
-----------

Tau/Eldar Alliance 1500pts: 56 Infantry, 1 MC, 1 Fort; 12/13 VPs
Sept Tau'n
-Shas'O Sha'shiva w/MPodsx2, IArmor, PChip, TL, MSS, VRT
-Ethereal Aun'ui
-Shas'vre Kor'va (Riptide w/Ion Accelerator, TL-Fusion Blaster, Early Warning Override)
-Crisis Suitsx2 w/Fusion Blastersx2, Target Lock
-Krootx16 w/Kroot Hound
-Fire Warriorsx12
-Pathfindersx6
-Broadsidesx2 w/TL-HYMPods, SMS, Velocity Trackers
-Sniper Drone Team (Fire Sightsx3, Sniper Dronesx4)
Eldar "Allies"
-Farseer Lorilune w/Runes of Warding, Spirit Stones, Guide, Mindwar, Jetbike
-Fire Dragonsx5 w/Exarch, Tank Hunter, Crack Shot
-Guardian Jetbikesx3
Ageis Defense Line w/Quadgun

Feathers and Tentacles Daemons (1500): 50 Infantry, 1 MC, 1 Walker; 9 VPs
Lord of Change w/Mastery 3, FNP (4+??), Re-roll invul saves (!)
Tzeench Herald w/ Mastery 3, Locus of Conjuration, Book of True Names
Tzeench Herald w/ Mastery 3, Locus of Conjuration, Portal Glyph
Slaaneshi Herald w/Etherblade, Locus of Beguilement, Steed
Slaaneshi Herald w/Etherblade, Locus of Beguilement, Steed
Pink Horrorsx11
Pink Horrorsx11
Seekersx12
Seekersx12
Soul Grinder w/MoTzeench
------------------------------
Chapter 5: 50 Shades of Grey
------------------------------

"Greetings, Aun'ui."

Ethereal Aun'ui of the Sept Tau'n bowed deeply to the assembled holograms in front of him.  The High Council seemed most intrigued regarding the status of his mission.  Aun'ui wasn't surprised.  He would be curious as well.

"Greetings, honored brethren.  I come to make my most humble report."

The Ethereals shifted slightly.  They were no doubt nervous.  Much talk had gone on regarding many subjects.

"Yes, we are most interested in your report.  What have the Earth Caste discovered of this book?"

Aun'ui nodded, "Sadly, not much has been gleaned.  All studies show that the book contains indecipherable text, even using the most advanced cryptographic interfaces."

"What has the Eldar said of the book?" asked one of the holo-Ethereals.

"The Eldar shows great trepidation regarding the book.  It is not clear if this is a tactic on their end to distract us, or if there is genuine danger to the artifact.  The only thing that she insists upon, is that one of us carry it at all times."

The assembled council nodded.  All present knew that the Eldar played strange games on a scale that was nigh-inconceivable.  If there was some danger hidden within the pages of this strange book, then even the most advanced technology might not discover the hazard until it was too late.

"But worry not, my brothers," continued Aun'ui, "I have my most highly trained warriors ensuring the safety of the book.  Their diligence is unyielding.  Nothing of note will come to pass while they yet draw breath."

----------------

Shas'vre Kor'va fought to scratch off his formal suit.  He looked around at the mostly empty courtyard.  It had taken some doing to get a private spot on the flagship, but more than one favor had traded hands, and now here he was.  Waiting for some time.  He checked his chronometer.  He was sure of the time he had sent her.  He knew it.  He tapped his holo-message for the umpteenth time to confirm.  As he sat, unbidden thoughts started to run through his mind.

Did he have the address correct?  Did she know how to use the MessageNet?  Would she understand how to navigate around the ship?  Maybe he should have met her at her room.  No, no, he thought, that would be too forward.

He bit his lip as he looked around.  More thoughts started to creep their way in.  Maybe she's sick.  Maybe she changed her mind.  Maybe she forgot?  Maybe... Maybe she's just playing with me.  Kor'va rocked in his seat.  Yeah, he thought, that must be it.  She's far out of my league.  I can't even get a Tau girl to even consider going out for drinks.  What was I thinking that I could go for the big prize?  Stupid, stupid, stupid.  But you only have yourself to blame and...

"I take it this is the place we're dining?"

Kor'va swiveled his head over and gasped as he saw her.

Farseer Lorilune stood wearing an elegant crimson Eldar dress, high-collared with sweeping, almost iridescent filigree that seemed invitingly exotic.  There was a pause, and some time passed before Lorilune coughed to get Bang's attention.

"Oh, uh, sorry."  He stood up and pulled out a chair for the Farseer who sat down.  By the Tau'va, Kor'va thought, she even smells amazing.

"I take it, that my appearance is sufficient for this meeting?" asked Lorilune with a wry smile.

"Y... Y...  You're gorgeous," said Kor'va.

"As opposed to how I normally am?"

"Uh...  Uh..." he stammered as conflicting options ran into each other in his head.

Lorilune let off a chuckle hidden behind an raised hand, "Oh, dear, I seem to have made you speechless.  I dare say I'm doing the impossible today."  Which I better have, she thought, given all of the trouble I went through to get this outfit. 

Much in the way of favors and credits had traded hands before she managed to get a suitable looking outfit from a respectable artisan, and the results were halfway decent.

Kor'va nodded spasmodically and then paused again as Lorilune snickered again.  He felt the blood rush to his face.  At least she was laughing.  That was more than he ever had gotten out of Shiva.  Shiva.  Why was he thinking about her now?  No doubt she wasn't thinking about him.  He tried not to think about being passed up again for command, but the Ethereals were always right.  Shiva always looked at the big picture, and there was no way she'd be spending her time and effort on a single dinner.  No, bigger things were undoubtedly running through her mind...

----------------------

"Keep the camera steady!"

"Y...  Yes, Shas'O."

Shas'O Sha'shiva glowered in her chair, peering at the somewhat grainy image.  It had taken her some time to assemble all of the security forces, but the matters were of utmost urgency.  And, of course, it was Bang's fault again.  What was he thinking, having dinner with the Eldar?  Didn't he know that they weren't to be trusted?  They were cunning masters of deception to the utmost degree and there was nothing that they wouldn't do to get what they wanted.  No doubt she was there just to pump classified information out of him and...

There was a giggling sound from the Eldar on the holo in front of her.  Shiva raised an eyebrow.  That was the fakest giggle she had ever heard.  Kor'va didn't make you giggle or even smile.  His jokes were trite and his stories were boring.  He had hit on every female in the entire Cadre and had been shot down faster than a Pirhana coasting in front of a Missile Battery.  Nobody could ever show any interest in him.  It had to be some kind of tactic or something.

A whisper brought her attention to the side where a pair of Earth Caste girls were looking on with full attention.  It didn't take any kind of Eldar mysticism to figure out what was going through their minds.  How was Bang suddenly getting new looks?  It wasn't as if he had changed after all.  He was the same goofy idiot that she yelled at a few days ago for itching his armpit with a smart missile.  There was nothing about him that was in any way attractive.  Nothing at all.  And yet... there was...

"Shas'O?"

Sha'shiva looked up to see the holo of one of the Fireknives she had stationed hidden in the catwalks above the dining duo.

"Yes, Shas'la?"

"Begging your pardon, Shas'O, but shouldn't we be keeping some forces for standard security protocols?  What if something happens?"

Sha'shiva leaned back in her chair.  "Nothing is going to happen, Shas'la, and I have the Kroot running patrols for a few hours until this.. this nonsense reigns in.  Nothing will happen, trust me."

--------------------

There it was again. Has'ur of the Kroot crept down the hallway, trying to find the strange noise that he had heard.  It sounded almost like a voice.  But that was absurd.  Why would someone be calling him?  He looked around, wondering where he was.  He had never been to this part of the ship before, and things looked different.  More shiny.  He walked over to a strange, big door that had one of those funny button pads that the Tau always played with.  He was about to turn away when a string of numbers popped into his head.  Funny, that.  He thought for a moment as to what to do, and then decided to try pushing them on the pad.  Why not?  After all, what were the chances that anything would...

There was a humming sound, and the door opened, revealing a long hallway and then a number of large containers.  Maybe it was a storage locker of some kind.  Has'ur crept in.  It was kind of nice inside, and certainly at least more interesting than just doing patrols.  Maybe he'd even find something to eat.  And there was that sound again.  He knelt down and looked at a very large box with more pads.  They looked like fun.  He tried guessing their numbers again, and on the first try, they popped open.  Maybe this was a game room or something.  Has'ur peered in the box and found a book nestled inside.  Maybe this was the prize.  He reached inside and took out the book, and was a bit surprised when he noticed how warm it felt.  Maybe it was one of those warming machines made up to look like a book.  But, there was only one way to know for sure.  All he had to do was open it.  What was the worst that could happen?
-----------------
Pre-Game Thoughts: Double Seekers is bad.  Very bad.  Heavy Tzeench that relies heavily on Psyker might not be too bad of a matchup as long as Lorilune stays up.  If he does get super psychic powers on me through the Runes, then it could go downhill, especially linked with the Book.  The LoC is especially resilient with the potential to get 3++ re-rollable with 4+FNP (book combos are evil) and with re-rollable hits and wounds... it's going to be a bad day for the Tau.

And I have Sniper Drones to help out and give more markerlight, but things could be bad.  Very bad.
----------------
Setup: Dawn of War (Night Fight: ON)
Mission: The Scouring (6 random objectives and Fast Attack scores/earns VPs; oh... no...)
Warlord: Shiva: Re-roll 1's one time per game; LoC: Deep Strikers don't scatter close to Warlord
Psychic: Lorilune: Prescience, Invisibility (again?  cool.);
LoC: Tzeench Primaris, Perfect Timing, Precognition;
Book Herald: Tzeench Primaris, Prescience, Forewarning (ick!);
Portal Herald: Tzeench Primaris, Perfect Timing, Prescience
---------------------
To Be Continued!
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

The Man They Call Jayne

Silly Kroot, never listen to the voices!

I have no idea how Deamons really work, other than they are nasty. Hopefully all those missiles should do some damage though. Always makes me think of 300.

"Our missiles will blot out the sun, and you will die in the shade!"
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Cammerz

A great start to the report BT, the fluff was brilliant with plenty of nice character development.

As for the lists, I'm looking forward to seeing how well the Sniper Drones perform.
Your opponent's list lacks numbers so hopefully you won't find it too difficult to deal with, as long as the seeker squads are taken out early, and jump the fusion suits in behind the Soul Grinder and it'll be gone no problem.

Looking forward to reading more.

Arguleon-veq

I think besides the Lord of Change and Grinder it should all be easy to shoot down in pretty short order, runes of warding will be a killer. Without it and if he went first then he would have a good chance of putting a serious dent in your firepower with his psychic shooting. You never know though, ive been getting lucky with getting powers off against runes of warding lately so it can happen.

I really like sniper drones when they are near an ethereal, 3 shots at 24'' is brutal for what they cost. Does the soul grinder have the battlecannon[equivelant] upgrade?
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chicop76

Runes of warding is going to really hurt that daemon list. They both really shooty, but the ward will shut down majority of the daemon shooting.

My guess is he will focus the crap out of your farseer unless he like's killing himself. This is why I hope for warding to be toned down with the Eldar update.

I think it's interesting that both builds come out almost the same. Grant it you are giving more vps than the daemon player.

I haven't done a 1500 point game in awhile, but both model counts on both armies seem low and specialized. It is 350 less points than what I am us to so it does make a differance. Although I do play 1k games a lot and my numbers on both armies come close to both at 1k.

I personally think this is a very uphill battle for the daemon list. It would be interesting to see how many diviation powers he took on his Tzeentch guys. Rerolling hits will pan out rather nice.

I'm surprised no powers on his slaanesh. Powers like invisibility, puppet master, and hallucination I have found to be worth taking. Puppet Master vs Tau is like a wet dream. 36 rapid fire shots on himself is soo awesome. Although invisibilty really wouldn't help against Tau though.

Looking at the daemon list it looks very fragile. Interesting enough it loks like the Tau list is more durable than the Daemon one.

I think the only problems is the +5 re rolling, +4 feel no pain chicken bird. Well a possible +3 re rollable with +4 feel no pain. If the daemon player goes first and gets a +3 or +2 relloable on the chicken it can easily weather what you throw at him at turn 1. When turn 2 comes up he can be in your face eating a farseer that is re rolling on a 4+ invulnerable, oh no fortune so take that back.

Anyway most of your stuff is wounding his entire army, but two models on 3s and 4s. His seekers are good, but with my experance with them die rather easy to over watch and regular fire power. The hearlds however can be very nasty for what they do. I have mine with 7 strength 5 attacks.

Taking two seeker squads might work, especally if one has a +3 invulnerable save. That being said I think they will get blasted to death.

The portal is helpful, but true names on such a small squad isn't a good ideal. Aginst normal armies you can gtg in +3 area terrain and use your tome to your hearts content while re rolling ones. The problem vs Tau is you can't count on that to work due to marker lights.

The grinder can possibly do ok, but it depends on if it has the large pie plate of doom, which makes suits go splat. It will be cool to +3 this grinder due to re rolling on ones. The grinder would do really well in combat vs the riptide, honestly against any Tau model.

The abundance of melta weapons is a problem for his 2 only threats. The chicken have to weather a lot of skyfire shots which I think it can even without true names.

The daemon player will have to go first to do well with what he has. If he goes first it allows him to open up with his shooting attacks and use his diviation powers. If he is lucky he can take down the farseer in that turn and it would become an interesting game, I still think the daemon playes is playing an uphill battle, but with the farseer gone he will have a better chance of holding his own.

I was hoping for hounds. I've just got some space marine wolves and been using them as hounds. Speaking to my opponents and to others they seem awesome. In use they get blown away. After a few games I decided a herald with them is just a bad ideal. Anyway I am looking at how tau deals with deamons over all any way. That way I can either stomp Tau or blast Daemons away.

BigToof

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on May 05, 2013, 09:11:23 AM
Silly Kroot, never listen to the voices!

I have no idea how Deamons really work, other than they are nasty. Hopefully all those missiles should do some damage though. Always makes me think of 300.

"Our missiles will blot out the sun, and you will die in the shade!"

Hi Jayne,
Yes, the Kroot.  Always the Kroot.  Mother always said to clean up after yourselves or the Kroot will be on your doorstep, moving in and asking if you're going to eat all of that.

Daemons were nasty in some ways, but Tau firepower is epic in and of itself!

Quote from: Cammerz on May 05, 2013, 11:04:00 AM
A great start to the report BT, the fluff was brilliant with plenty of nice character development.

As for the lists, I'm looking forward to seeing how well the Sniper Drones perform.
Your opponent's list lacks numbers so hopefully you won't find it too difficult to deal with, as long as the seeker squads are taken out early, and jump the fusion suits in behind the Soul Grinder and it'll be gone no problem.

Looking forward to reading more.

Thanks for the reply Cammerz,
There's more new fluff, and let me know if you like the direction.
The Sniper Drones were great fun, but not sure if they are better than Pathfinders.  I do a bit of a review in post-game thoughts.  Let me know how they work for you.  I'm kind of a "whichever slot you have available" sort of guy on them at the moment...

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on May 05, 2013, 11:29:07 AM
I think besides the Lord of Change and Grinder it should all be easy to shoot down in pretty short order, runes of warding will be a killer. Without it and if he went first then he would have a good chance of putting a serious dent in your firepower with his psychic shooting. You never know though, ive been getting lucky with getting powers off against runes of warding lately so it can happen.

I really like sniper drones when they are near an ethereal, 3 shots at 24'' is brutal for what they cost. Does the soul grinder have the battlecannon[equivelant] upgrade?

Hi Arguleon-veq,
Runes did make a major difference and it was also just the reluctance for the Tzeench daemons to do anything when they were low on wounds.
The Sniper Drones were pretty good, but just icing on the cake in terms of Markerlights (which is what I really took the squad for).
Sadly enough, the Grinder did NOT take the big plate.  I think he may have had the S10 single shot, but not sure as well...  Just take a look at the rep :)

Quote from: Chicop76 on May 06, 2013, 12:30:43 PM
Runes of warding is going to really hurt that daemon list. They both really shooty, but the ward will shut down majority of the daemon shooting.

My guess is he will focus the crap out of your farseer unless he like's killing himself. This is why I hope for warding to be toned down with the Eldar update.

I think it's interesting that both builds come out almost the same. Grant it you are giving more vps than the daemon player.

I haven't done a 1500 point game in awhile, but both model counts on both armies seem low and specialized. It is 350 less points than what I am us to so it does make a differance. Although I do play 1k games a lot and my numbers on both armies come close to both at 1k.

I personally think this is a very uphill battle for the daemon list. It would be interesting to see how many diviation powers he took on his Tzeentch guys. Rerolling hits will pan out rather nice.

I'm surprised no powers on his slaanesh. Powers like invisibility, puppet master, and hallucination I have found to be worth taking. Puppet Master vs Tau is like a wet dream. 36 rapid fire shots on himself is soo awesome. Although invisibilty really wouldn't help against Tau though.

Looking at the daemon list it looks very fragile. Interesting enough it loks like the Tau list is more durable than the Daemon one.

I think the only problems is the +5 re rolling, +4 feel no pain chicken bird. Well a possible +3 re rollable with +4 feel no pain. If the daemon player goes first and gets a +3 or +2 relloable on the chicken it can easily weather what you throw at him at turn 1. When turn 2 comes up he can be in your face eating a farseer that is re rolling on a 4+ invulnerable, oh no fortune so take that back.

Anyway most of your stuff is wounding his entire army, but two models on 3s and 4s. His seekers are good, but with my experance with them die rather easy to over watch and regular fire power. The hearlds however can be very nasty for what they do. I have mine with 7 strength 5 attacks.

Taking two seeker squads might work, especally if one has a +3 invulnerable save. That being said I think they will get blasted to death.

The portal is helpful, but true names on such a small squad isn't a good ideal. Aginst normal armies you can gtg in +3 area terrain and use your tome to your hearts content while re rolling ones. The problem vs Tau is you can't count on that to work due to marker lights.

The grinder can possibly do ok, but it depends on if it has the large pie plate of doom, which makes suits go splat. It will be cool to +3 this grinder due to re rolling on ones. The grinder would do really well in combat vs the riptide, honestly against any Tau model.

The abundance of melta weapons is a problem for his 2 only threats. The chicken have to weather a lot of skyfire shots which I think it can even without true names.

The daemon player will have to go first to do well with what he has. If he goes first it allows him to open up with his shooting attacks and use his diviation powers. If he is lucky he can take down the farseer in that turn and it would become an interesting game, I still think the daemon playes is playing an uphill battle, but with the farseer gone he will have a better chance of holding his own.

I was hoping for hounds. I've just got some space marine wolves and been using them as hounds. Speaking to my opponents and to others they seem awesome. In use they get blown away. After a few games I decided a herald with them is just a bad ideal. Anyway I am looking at how tau deals with deamons over all any way. That way I can either stomp Tau or blast Daemons away.

Spot on for most everything Chicop!

Please let me know how you think of the rep and also ideas for how things could have/should have been run differently.

I feel that something was missed by the Daemons player, but I don't play Daemons so I can't really evaluate things that well...

-------------------

And here's the rest of the rep!

------------------

Setup: Well, since I have the only ADL again, I have to put down first.  Although troubling to get anywhere near those Seekers, I decide to put my ADL in the center, lining the 12" of my deployment zone and the sides.  Ruins go down in the corners with (naturally) more on his side with a few scattered small bits of area terrain in the center.  Objectives go down with mine more centrally, hugging the 6" limit from the rear of my board, while my opponent spreads his out to the far corners and one centrally.  The values flip up with mine as 2, 4, 2 and his as 3, 1, 3.  That's... a bit oddly similar, but it does put the objectives more on my half (by a little), so he'll have to play aggressive this game (as if he wasn't going to...).

We roll to see who deploys first.  I win choice and decide to go first, putting my Broadsides and Shas'O in the center, Pathfinders to the left, Sniper Drones to the right, rear to the Fire Warriors and Ethereal and the Kroot in front with the Fire Dragons manning the ADL.  I also manage to squeeze in the Riptide and Lorilune to the rear left, but it leaves us pretty packed in.

My opponent puts his Lord of Change in the far rear corner, measuring out 48" from my Quadgun to insure a "safe" zone.  He also puts one of his Horrors and the Seekers in the ruins to the left and slightly more central, measuring 36" from my Broadsides to limit my first turn shooting.  A Herald goes with each of his units, with the Book Herald starting on the board and the Portal Herald in reserve.  The last group of Horrors and the Soul Grinder go in reserves.
Well, this is going to be interesting...

As I'm pondering whether or not I should advance and try snap shooting with my Broadsides, he steals the initiative!

Picture Caption: Huh, I get a feeling those Seekers are going to be a LOT closer a LOT sooner than I want them to be...
----------------------

"Oh, that really is absolutely interesting.  I never thought I would have this much fun with casual conversation."

Shas'vre Kor'va smiled.  Things were going well.  The Farseer was talking more.  Maybe it was the bottle of Eldar wine he had managed to pry away from a Gue'la trader, but she was clearly acting different.

Farseer Lorilune sniffed the bottom of her glass.

"Oh this is fabulous, absolutely fabulous.  I can't tell you the last time I've had a decent wine.  I didn't know that the Tau had refined taste.  But, who am I to judge?  So tell me... hmm... What was your name again?"

"Kor... Kor'va.  My friends call me Bang."

Lorilune laughed.  Bang smiled.  Her laughter sounded like wind chimes in the rain.

"Bang indeed.  I see.  I see...  You know I'm not supposed to be doing this?  The Exarch...  He said that you'd try to pry information out of me.  Perhaps even take advantage of me."

She leaned forwards, making Bang swallow nervously as her dress threatened to show him more than it should.

"Oh, are you thinking about that?  I mean, I am rather older.  But then again, I suppose you knew that."

Kor'va bobbed his head, and said, "But, I mean...  I like you.  I mean that.  In you."  By the Tau'va, he thought, when did words get so complicated?

Lorilune snickered again, pouring herself another glass, "Oh, yes, yes indeed.  But that's not much of a surprise.  Or is it?  You know, we Craftworlders aren't supposed to be thinking about things like that.  Oh, no.  Asceticism all the way.  No excess, no extremes.  Just safe, safe complacency.  Everything stays the same as our race circles the drain of life.  Living is good enough."

Bang started to say something when Lorilune sniffled and then started crying.  Before he could say anything, she started talking again.

"All I wanted is to be treated as more than just a Farseer.  It's always 'Farseer, what's the future like?', 'Farseer, what's the best approach?', 'Farseer, I can't think for myself, tell me what to do.'  Even the fething Orks had something resembling drive and ambition.  Am I not supposed to have drive?  Am I not supposed to have ambition?  All...  All I want is for someone, anyone, to look past the big, fething helmet and see the girl inside.  Is it too much to ask to be a Pretty Little Princess once in a while?"

Bang paused and said, "Uh...  You're really pretty and..."

"Really?" said Lorilune, leaning in closer, "You're not just saying that?  I mean, it's hard to say with you Tau sometimes.  It's... infuriating, really.  You seem to know so little, but I can't just unwrap your mind like the others.  It's a mystery.  A simple mystery that probably isn't rewarding in any way, but... but..."

Lorilune took another drink, and then smirked, "How would you like to unwrap me?"

Bang tried not to fall out of his seat as his mind tried to recover from the shock to say anything intelligible.

But he had little chance, when the Farseer stood up and grabbed her head in pain.

Bang raced to her side, but then his comm barked to life, "ALL FIRE WARRIORS, REPORT TO SECURE CARGO BAY 43.  THIS IS NOT A DRILL.  EMERGENCY OPERATIONS PROCEDURE CODE WHITE 88."

Well then, Bang though, There were worse ways to end a date...

---------------------------

"Get the perimeter ready!  Why is the XV-104 just standing there?  Where is Kor'va?!"

Shas'O Sha'shiva bellowed her orders to the Fire Warriors around her who were struggling to keep their wits about them.  Cargo Bay 43 had become a beacon of insanity.  Sensors were going haywire trying to make sense of the interior, which suddenly seemed much larger than it should be.  Large crystalline growths appeared from nowhere and seemed to have an eerie energy pattern that fluctuated every time you looked at them.  They needed to have support for their push.  Whatever was gong on,they needed to be organized and ready.  Which meant that she needed Bang and the Farseer.  Where were they?

A high-pitched howling sound followed by a slightly lower scream brought her attention to a spiraling Eldar Jetbike that turned a sharp corner, leveled out, and nearly took her head off before it shuddered to a stop next to the Riptide.  Shiva frowned when she saw Bang nestled up to the Farseer on a crimson Jetbike.  The Eldar had a grin from ear to ear and Bang was clutching her in a way that made Shiva's insides churn.

"Shas'vre Kor'va!  What are you doing?"

Bang tried to get to his feet, but stumbled and landed in a heap.

"Uh... Shiva!  Sorry!  I... uh...  Dizzy..."

Shiva was about to lay into him again, when Lorilune spoke.

"Oh, do behave you pompous little bint.  It's not his fault that all of your little corridors look the same.  Now please be a dear and tell my associates to fetch my armor."

Shiva opened and closed her mouth a few times in shock and surprise, and felt a sudden fury grip her.  Just as she was about to reply, she felt a soft touch on her shoulder, and saw Ethereal Aun'ui looking at her.  She quickly bowed respectfully and the Ethereal spoke in calm tones.

"Ah, thank you, Farseer Lorilune, for your delivery of our Shas'vre.  Your assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated."

"Of course," Lorilune said as the Guardians were attaching her armor, "I wouldn't dare let you little ones take on the forces of Chaos alone.  After all, you did interrupt a fine evening and I'd hate for it to end on a sour note due to your Commander's incompetent tomfoolery."

Shiva bristled and spoke up, "Tomfoolery?  Greatest apologies, great Ethereal, but we do not need the Eldar.  They will only distract us from what needs to be done."

Lorilune laughed, walking up to the duo, "Distract?  Me?  Seriously, now.  You think that anything you can do will stop this incursion?  Chaos is a destructive force beyond your comprehension.  What are you going to do?  Embargo it?  Maybe send in a diplomat or two?  That might be good for a laugh."

Shiva was about to send a scathing rejoinder in the Eldar's face, when Bang said, "Uh, sorry, ladies, but...  I think they're...  attacking us.  Like...  Now."
BigToof Points:

BigToof

Turn 1: Daemons
-----------------
Reality rent itself asunder as Lord of Chang Ithaqua soared into the Material Realm.  It looked around, watching the shimmering crystals spread quickly, stabilizing the area for the moment.  Only by sheer luck did the Grimore of True Names fall into the hands of a gullible mortal, but then again, Ithaqua had learned that nothing was entirely luck.  For the Great Game was far more intricate than even a being as he could understand.

He growled a bit as he noticed that Slaaneshi creatures had exited before him, but no matter.  They showed some deference towards him until another Greater Daemon appeared, and it was simple enough to bind them to his will.  A motion from his staff brought his attention to the bickering mortals on the border between the spread of unreality.  How amusing, he thought, that the Changer of Ways' influence had spread so delicately even here.  Best not to squander it then.
---------------------
Oh, as a side note, we did roll for Warp Storms, but nothing really happened of note all game.

Well, first things first, as he gets Forewarning through my wards (!), and now that flying LoC has a re-rollable 4++.  Which means that he has a 4++/4++/4+ FNP.  That's not so good.

The Seekers advance, losing one of the Seekers in the ruins.
The Book Herald uses its grimore on the further of the two Seeker units, but rolls a 2 (!), meaning that the closer of the two units (who is currently hanging out in the open) is now at 6++...

My opponent then does a rather amusing shuffle of the Seekers in the shooting phase, as the closer ones run up to the front and the ones formerly in front scamper behind their fellows.  This takes a bit of time as they measure out to make sure that they stay out of 15" range from the Fire Warriors.

The LoC is just within range of the Riptide, and summons its mighty Tzeench magic and... it fizzles, putting a wound on the big monster (thanks wards!)

Picture Caption: Watching the Seekers makes me feel like playing Yakkity Sax...

Turn 1: Tau/Eldar
------------------
"Shas'O, those things are moving like lightning!"

Shiva frowned as she heard the frantic voices of her troops fill the holo-comms.  Unless she did something soon, panic was going to take over the entire Cadre.

"Lightning, Shas'la?  Perhaps.  But let's see how they play in the shade.  All missiles at the ready!  Let them feel the might of the Tau!"
------------------

Well, time to see how good Tau shooting really is.
The Ethereal puts up Storm of Fire (i.e. the extra rapid fire shot buff) and I announce that I will use Shiva's Warlord Trait to re-roll 1's (it's go big or go home time).
Lorilune pops Prescience on the Pathfinders.
There's a bit of shuffling on my part to get the Kroot a bit more within range, but not much else.

I start with the Sniper Drones, and they all hit with everything (thanks to re-roll 1's) on the 6++ Seeker squad with 12 shots!  They take their cover saves, and lose some, but more importantly I now have 3 markerlight tokens on the squad.  I shoot with the Broadside unit next, using two markerlights to remove saves, and one to boost their BS by 1.  The resulting Missile Barrage (HYMP/MP/SMS extravaganza) is shocking as it wipes out the rest of the 6++ seekers (wow... that's... massive).

The Pathfinders roll less than stellar the first time, but make up for it on re-rolls, getting me a total of 5 (!) markerlights.  The Fire Warriors use 4, 2 for cover, 2 to make them BS5 (!).  They hit with all of the shots, gouging out a big chunk of the Seekers.  The Kroot use the last markerlight, and their shots, combined with the Fire Dragons, wipe out the last of the Seekers.

Picture Caption: That... is a lot of firepower.  Feels like Crecy all over again, just you know, without knights and archers and all.

Turn 2: Daemons
------------------
Ithaqua shook his head. He should have expected that anything made by the Dark Prince would be all appearance and no substance.  But, still, matters must be taken into hand.  He nodded to the Herald who spoke the words of power, and Ithaqua felt a tremble as his might increased ten-fold.  Taking his time, he flew forwards, ignoring the beams of energy and missiles that pattered off his aura like so much rain.

How sad it was, to watch the mortals try to harm him.  They might as well be trying to turn back the hands of time.
-------------------

Kind of shocked that he's lost all of his Seekers (and I now have First Blood and two bonus VPs), he decides to go all in.
The last unit of Horrors comes in, as does his Soul Grinder.

The Horrors go out to the right, and the Soul Grinder goes down center.  The Horrors deploy their Portal Glyph, which does not create any units.

The Book goes off successfully this turn, making the LoC 3++.  The Horror Herald tries to use its Forewarning, but perils, knocking it down to a single wound!

The LoC stops swooping and moves out more centrally.  Hmm... I sense an assault coming on.  The LoC also tries its luck with a shooting attack, but fails on perils again (ouch).

The Soul Grinder at least manages a hit with its Harvester Gun (no upgrade?  Huh...), but I make my save.

The LoC then girds itself for an assault, and I learn just how tough a T6 3++/3++/4+FNP monster is, as it takes a silly amount of overwatch from basically my entire army with boosted markerlights and Ethereal shots, and gets away with a a single wound!

He makes it in, and then declares Smash on the Kroot (eh?).  My Kroot fail to do anything to the big bird, and he only downs two Kroot.  As my Kroot have less than spectacular leadership, I flip an 8 and am about to have them fall back, but my opponent points out that they're close to the Ethereal so they have Ld10.  So... he's stuck in now and is... contesting my objective.

I have new found respect for Daemons.

Picture Caption: PLAN B!  Tell me we have a Plan B!

Turn 2: Tau/Eldar
------------------
Sha'shiva swore as she watched the enormous beast slam into the line of Kroot.  The stubborn creatures wouldn't retreat for some reason, and now she had to count the moments until the entire backfield was torn asunder.  Nothing was going to help.  They were doomed.  That is, unless, she did something that was distasteful but for the Greater Good.
Swallowing, she opened her comm to the Farseer.

"Eldar?  I have... need of you."

"Oh, really, I wish the feeling was mutual."

Shiva growled under her breath, "Why must Eldar be so..."

"Lorilune."

"Wha... What?"

"My name.  If we're going to work together, I'd rather you act as if I'm not my entire species.  The answer to your unanswered question is that the state of entire affairs here rests on the shoulders of the keeper of that book that I believe I STRONGLY told you to keep hold of.  Given the appearance of things, it'd be somewhere over on the left."

Shiva frowned.  That was... almost cordial.  For an Eldar.

"Uh...  Thank you."

"Indeed, now, shall we get on with saving our lives?"

----------------------------------

Well, now that my base is screwed, I decide to go for a base trade (so to speak).
The Ethereal switches to Stubborn, as I hope the Kroot will hold out for a bit longer.
Invisibility goes on Bang and Lorilune.

I get the Crisis Suits and the bikes.  The Suits deep strike within striking distance of the Soul Grinder.
I separate Lorilune from Bang, and put her with the Jetbikes.  Bang goes with Shiva and they start moving down the left side.

With that done, I markerlight up the Soul Grinder and the Crisis Suits fusion-blast it six ways to Sunday.  The suits bounce over to threaten the Horrors on the right and their Portal.

The Fire Dragons use their Quadgun to shave off a few Horrors on the left, but not much else.
The LoC munches down on a few more Kroot, but the now stubborn Ld10 mercs hold their ground.

Picture Caption: Huh... now what?

Turn 3: Daemons
--------------------
The Horrors shift around to try and do something.
The Book Herald successfully uses the Book on its own unit as the LoC is now too far away.
The LoC tries to pop its re-roll everything power, but perils itself down to a single wound!
Despite my best encouragement, the Book Herald declines to cast any powers, as its sitting on one wound.  The now-portal-less Herald does get off Prescience.

A single Horror wanders out of the Portal, wondering if it made a wrong turn at Alberquerque...

The Horrors on the left have two dice of shooty now that they're down below 10, but no wounds get through Bang's massive 2+ save.  The Crisis Suits on the left fare not too well, as the Horrors peril, but the Herald does not.  He zaps one down, and the lone Horror tries its luck but perils, popping it back to the Warp in the shortest trip yet recorded in Daemon history...

The LoC continues to try to cut through the Kroot, but still can't seem to put much of a dent in the blob.

Picture Caption: That would be Peril #6... I think the Runes made their cost back in spades.

Turn 3: Tau/Eldar
----------------
"Are you sure she's going to be alright?"

Shiva sighed.  It was the umpteenth time Bang had asked her since they began their assault.

"Yes, Kor'va, she'll be fine.  She's an Eldar.  They're good at keeping their skin intact."

The large Battlesuit stopped, and Kor'va spun around.

"Don't do that."

Shiva paused.  That was the first time that Bang had ever taken that tone with her.  They had arguments before, but not like this.

"Like... what, Bang?"

"Like she's just one of a whole.  Do we say that?  Do we say that all Tau are like each other?  That there's no exception to the rules?  If so, I think we should rethink our whole approach.  Maybe take a more Imperial stance on things.  After all, if they're all the same, why bother with negotiations?!"

Shiva put her hands up, "I...  I....  I'm sorry, Bang.  I...  I didn't know, that..."

"You should, Shiva, by the Tau'va, you're a Shas'O.  Now start acting like one."

Before she could say anything, Bang was already hopping forwards.  Shiva followed afterwards, not saying anything as thoughts not entirely battle-oriented went through her mind.

---------------------------

Shiva and Bang move up on the left.  Lorilune and her Jetbikes boost out to the right.  The Sniper Drones move out to the right as well.

The Quadgun snipes out a few more Horrors, but not really anything significant.  Bang and Shiva lay some fire into the Horrors on the left, but they go to ground, not really losing anything.  It DOES, however, keep them in place for a turn 4 assault.

And the LoC continues on his quest to chop through the Kroot, but I still have quite of few of the guys left.

Picture Caption: Get ready for assault!

Turn 4: Daemons
-----------------
The Daemons on the left use the book to go to 3++.  They fire at the incoming Tau, but it's just not enough.
The Horrors on the right fire shots into the last Crisis Suit and manage to take it out.
The LoC has ALMOST taken down the last of the Kroot, but there's still a half dozen or so left.

Picture Caption: Here we go!

Turn 4: Tau/Eldar
---------------
The Tau cometh!
Lorilune pops up Invisibility again.
I move Bang and Shiva out to the left.  Lorilune and the Bikes move up on the right.
Pathfinders move onto the objective to the left.

The Quadgun and the Eldar work on the Horrors to the right, forcing them to go to ground.
Bang and Shiva fire some shots and then assault in.

As odd as it seems, the Horrors have no overwatch, so just have to take it.
They mash up a few Horrors and a few more go pop.  More importantly, it pulls them off their objective.
More Kroot die, but the last few still hold!

Picture Caption: Assault.  The Way Farsight would have done it.

Turn 5: Daemons
----------------
The last of the Horrors move onto their objective.
Bang and Shiva stomp out the last of the Horrors.
The LoC finally chews apart the last of the Kroot.

Picture Caption: Well... this is going to be interesting.

Turn 5: Tau/Eldar
------------------
Lorilune and Bikes with Quadgun help finish off the last of the Horrors.

I put enough Markerlights on the LoC to make a Christmas tree, and take him out with mass shooty from the entire army.

And with no more Daemons, the game ends.

Result: Tau/Eldar Victory!

---------------------

Post-Game Thoughts:

Overwhelming.  Firepower.

The Tau are just so massive in shooting, I don't know what to think sometimes.  Just annihilating all of the Seekers in a single turn was amazing, although I must admit that part of the epic-ness was the Book failing on turn 1.

The Runes were also a MASSIVE help, as I think there were half a dozen or so perils around the board, and also kept the Book Herald from doing too much, and kept the LoC down to something resembling reasonable levels.  Actually, now that I think about it, I only put two wounds on the LoC with actual shooting.  Perils did the rest...  The Fire Dragons also put in solid work as usual, and the fast moving Jetbikes were great for late-game harassment.

I liked the Sniper Drones, but am still somewhat ambivalent, as they were helpful with their 4 shots each, but they don't have the high-end output that you can get with Pathfinders.  That said, they are awesome to have, and I think I'll keep a unit as they seem more durable than Pathfinders, and can act independently without needing Markerlight or re-roll support.

The Tau assault was also hella fun, although if it wasn't versus Horrors, I might have been more worried.

The unsung heroes of the game have to be the Kroot as they just did their best Ork Boy impression and just absorbed so many wounds it wasn't funny.  The combination of Ethereal and Kroots is very, very powerful if done right.

My opponent was just shell-shocked by the end of the first turn, and I feel that's the power of the Tau.  If done right, you can just overwhelm units with wounds and make it hard for your opponent to climb back up.  Coupled with Eldar, they have a lot of their vulnerabilities covered (i.e. lack of re-roll support and psychic defense).
I am tempted to take out the Fire Dragons, as the Broadsides and Commander are putting in such strong work, but it's just so hard as they are so potent.

Hmm...  So... any suggestions for something to try out next?
--------------------------

Ithaqua slapped away the last of the birdlike aliens.  There were so many, and although the Warp was strong here, there was something holding back his power.  Wards.  Eldar.  He twisted over to see a pack of Horrors being shot at by... nothing.

A simple, childish trick.

The Lord of Change twisted a claw, and suddenly, a quartet of Eldar popped into view.  The Eldar seemed more than a bit surprised.  Ithaqua raised his staff, summoning in the might of Tzeench.  He was about to release it, when he heard a coughing sound from beneath him.

Dozens of barrels were pointed at his head.

Ithaqua swore to the Great Changer of Ways as he tried to put up a shield, but to no avail as the fusillade of firepower bit into him, knocking him around.  When it finally let up, he could feel himself fading.  Looking around, he spotted the book in the hands of the large Tau battlesuit, being read by the Eldar, who had a devilish grin on her face.

"Oh, how cute.  Ithaqua.  Sounds almost imaginative.  Now.  BEGONE."
-----------------------------

Sha'shiva shook her head in the cafeteria galleria.  It had been days since the entire event, and she still didn't understand it.  The energy had faded and all signs of the strange happenings had disappeared.  As if it were a dream.  Or a nightmare.  At least now things were back to normal.

"Excuse me, but are these seats taken?"

Shiva was about to say that they weren't, and then almost fell off her chair when she saw Bang and the Farseer.  They had trays of food.  Before she could say anything, they sat and looked at each other with a look that seemed familiar and yet somehow...  Oh, no, she thought.  No, no.  How...

"I dare say that we've shocked her into silence, Kor'va."

Bang smirked, "Yeah, that doesn't happen that often.  Might as well enjoy it."

Shiva glowered, "So is this the part where you both come and gloat?  Fine.  You were right.  I was wrong.  But, I still don't understand how..."

Lorilune laughed, pointing an eating stick in Shiva's direction, "That is the fundamental problem.  You seek an easy explanation to a problem that is anything but simple.  Now, my dear Commander, let us talk about what is really going on..."

-------------------------
BigToof Points:

Mabbz

I laughed. A lot. Bang x Lorilune OTP.

I just impressed that the kroot lasted... 7 rounds of combat. That has to be a record.

Cammerz

I agree with Mabbz, hilarious. This is the sort of fluff that I don't really want to see all the time but every now and again it makes a great change.

As for the battle, the opening round of shooting really made the game for you and proves that if you throw enough shots at things they will die. I'd dread to think what'd happen if they'd managed to charge in on turn 2.

The sniper drones look like they did their job, some highly accurate shooting with additional marker hits early on, I'd keep them around if I were you, if anything just so you can try them out against some other enemies, don't just test a unit once and presume that they're always like that (he said having dropped his kroot after a single 6th edition game).
And as for the Fire Dragons, you could drop them, but remember how good they are against flyers, especially with the exarch on the quad gun. If you do decide to get rid of them, I'd add in another Broadside, or maybe even a Sky Ray, something that's very good at anti-air.

So, a great report with some really funny fluff, I look forward to reading more, perhaps this SW/IG battle that you've mentionned at on the 'Forces and Allies of the Imperium' board?

Job's a good un!

Chicop76

I am on my cell phone and can't see where your Farseer is located. I ask simply to see if he could had assaulted the farseer if possible.

Well Biggy I really don't see what you could had done differently. Re rolling to hit pathfinders are always awesome. If you can fire overwatch at full bs that would had been icing on the cake with re rolling to hit via pathfinders.

If anything I would say you shouldn't bunch your army the way you did, but since he didn't take pheglm on his grinder, and didn't take a skull cannon. You really didn't have to worry about pie plates raining upon your guys. Reason why I take two skullcannons and a grinder.

For the most part the Loc can impact your armies shooting since you can't shoot through combat. If you spread out a bit than such problems won't block los to your army.

However such bunching up does allow you to overwatch with everyone. On the pluse side if he decides to assault the eldar models you can still overwatch with your Tau :facepalm001:.

I thought the lone Tzentch guy blowing himself up was the highlight of the game for me. Had me cracking up. Roll a one and the poor guy pops into our dimension and as soon as he gets in perils kills him.

I personally think perils shouldn't effect daemons the way it does,but oh we'll.

The Daemon player I don't know what to say. After the 5th peril roll I would think he would stop trying to use powers. If he didn't use his powers at all with his LoC it could have done more to your army.

The seekers getting a 6+ invulnerable had to hurt.

Also why in the heck did he smash kroot. That made no sense.

I would say my 9 year old kid would had played better, he plays dark angels. He would take forever, but he would had done much better. The kid beat me twice out of 4 games and I wasn't really letting him win.

I can go on and on what the daemon player did wrong, but I can go into sme suggestions the daemon player can do to enhance his list.

It looks like it's a Slaneesh/ Tzeentch lish.

1. Take Fateweaver. Fateweaver will help with true names working more often and will help make the warp storm table work for you. His powers would had been shut down, but you could had vector strike the farseer to death. With truenames you will have a 2+ re rollable invulnerable save if you are worried about durability. However I would avoid combat.

2. You need a sponge unit to distract from the seekers from getting shot at. The best choice the deamon player's thyme would be to take some screamers. The screamers will get a +4 cover save quite easy. The multiwounds and higher toughness makes them harder to kill. The fact they can move 36" across the board makes them a target to blast away. They will die, but it will help your seekers survive to get to point a to point b.

3. Take a grinder with the battle cannon shot. 

4. Don't use your powers if it's killing you off as much as your opponent.

5. Deep stiking half you list may had been helpful. You need your seekers to survive so you could had ds off them.

To be honest the daemon player went up against a list that is very hard to cope with. If the farseer died to the warp storm table early it would had helped. The farseer shut down the daemon player hard. Another reason why mono tzeentch is not a great ideal. Also space wolves and nids can be just as equally hard to get powers off.

BigToof

Quote from: Mabbz on May 12, 2013, 09:09:27 AM
I laughed. A lot. Bang x Lorilune OTP.

I just impressed that the kroot lasted... 7 rounds of combat. That has to be a record.

Thanks Mabbz!

I was worried that Lorilune was going to be a bit OTT, but the words just kind of came out naturally, so I guess that'll work for her showing her more sensitive (yet totally selfish) side that well... kind of works still :)

The Kroot were the true heroes in some way.  The LoC actually isn't all THAT killy as it has 4-5 attacks.  I've seen it go nuts if it can get one or more of it's re-roll buffs, but thanks to the Wards, that wasn't coming out.  My opponent joked that the Kroot-Ethereal buff should be called "Triple Your Pay!"

I'm looking forward to writing more Bang and Lorilune.  They seem like a good couple that could help each other evolve well.  Or you know, crash in flames horribly :)

Quote from: Cammerz on May 12, 2013, 11:14:14 AM
I agree with Mabbz, hilarious. This is the sort of fluff that I don't really want to see all the time but every now and again it makes a great change.

As for the battle, the opening round of shooting really made the game for you and proves that if you throw enough shots at things they will die. I'd dread to think what'd happen if they'd managed to charge in on turn 2.

The sniper drones look like they did their job, some highly accurate shooting with additional marker hits early on, I'd keep them around if I were you, if anything just so you can try them out against some other enemies, don't just test a unit once and presume that they're always like that (he said having dropped his kroot after a single 6th edition game).
And as for the Fire Dragons, you could drop them, but remember how good they are against flyers, especially with the exarch on the quad gun. If you do decide to get rid of them, I'd add in another Broadside, or maybe even a Sky Ray, something that's very good at anti-air.

So, a great report with some really funny fluff, I look forward to reading more, perhaps this SW/IG battle that you've mentionned at on the 'Forces and Allies of the Imperium' board?

Job's a good un!

Thanks Cammerz!

So it's official that the fluff worked.  Glad you didn't mind Lorilune and Bang.  I do like writing them, they are a pair, especially with Shiva as a foil.  I'm considering adding another character, just don't know what kind yet, depends on what the list solidifies out to be, I suppose.

As for the Fire Dragons...  I know what you mean.  Part of me goes, that's a LOT of points that doesn't do much.
Then part of me realizes that I've got FIVE Meltaguns that don't run easily, have 3+ cover and are awesome on a Quadgun.
So... yeah...  hard to get rid of them.  Sometimes I think about putting Shiva on the Quadgun, and having her fire it and a Missile Pod, but then again...  MELTAGUNS.  Kind of wish I had a character like Glory (from the DE/Eldar reps) for them, but that might be too derivative.

And you'd like to see that debacle of a SW rep?  Gah.

Well, I guess I might as well, although the events might not be AS much of a surprise as the others :)

Jenna and the Wolves take their first real beating.  I'm not sure it's AS bad as the wholesale slaughter that Vasily vs Lady D'ysperax often had, but it was pretty nasty.

Quote from: Chicop76 on May 12, 2013, 03:51:47 PM
I am on my cell phone and can't see where your Farseer is located. I ask simply to see if he could had assaulted the farseer if possible.

Well Biggy I really don't see what you could had done differently. Re rolling to hit pathfinders are always awesome. If you can fire overwatch at full bs that would had been icing on the cake with re rolling to hit via pathfinders.

If anything I would say you shouldn't bunch your army the way you did, but since he didn't take pheglm on his grinder, and didn't take a skull cannon. You really didn't have to worry about pie plates raining upon your guys. Reason why I take two skullcannons and a grinder.

For the most part the Loc can impact your armies shooting since you can't shoot through combat. If you spread out a bit than such problems won't block los to your army.

However such bunching up does allow you to overwatch with everyone. On the pluse side if he decides to assault the eldar models you can still overwatch with your Tau :facepalm001:.

I thought the lone Tzentch guy blowing himself up was the highlight of the game for me. Had me cracking up. Roll a one and the poor guy pops into our dimension and as soon as he gets in perils kills him.

I personally think perils shouldn't effect daemons the way it does,but oh we'll.

The Daemon player I don't know what to say. After the 5th peril roll I would think he would stop trying to use powers. If he didn't use his powers at all with his LoC it could have done more to your army.

The seekers getting a 6+ invulnerable had to hurt.

Also why in the heck did he smash kroot. That made no sense.

I would say my 9 year old kid would had played better, he plays dark angels. He would take forever, but he would had done much better. The kid beat me twice out of 4 games and I wasn't really letting him win.

I can go on and on what the daemon player did wrong, but I can go into sme suggestions the daemon player can do to enhance his list.

It looks like it's a Slaneesh/ Tzeentch lish.

1. Take Fateweaver. Fateweaver will help with true names working more often and will help make the warp storm table work for you. His powers would had been shut down, but you could had vector strike the farseer to death. With truenames you will have a 2+ re rollable invulnerable save if you are worried about durability. However I would avoid combat.

2. You need a sponge unit to distract from the seekers from getting shot at. The best choice the deamon player's thyme would be to take some screamers. The screamers will get a +4 cover save quite easy. The multiwounds and higher toughness makes them harder to kill. The fact they can move 36" across the board makes them a target to blast away. They will die, but it will help your seekers survive to get to point a to point b.

3. Take a grinder with the battle cannon shot. 

4. Don't use your powers if it's killing you off as much as your opponent.

5. Deep stiking half you list may had been helpful. You need your seekers to survive so you could had ds off them.

To be honest the daemon player went up against a list that is very hard to cope with. If the farseer died to the warp storm table early it would had helped. The farseer shut down the daemon player hard. Another reason why mono tzeentch is not a great ideal. Also space wolves and nids can be just as equally hard to get powers off.

Hi Chicop,
Yeah, I agree that the Farseer was pretty much the thing that shut down the Daemons.  It's one of their real problems I think is that the Horrors just aren't reliable in a lot of situations.  And not having blasts anywhere meant that I didn't care about squeezing all of my mates together.
Daemons seem to me to be a real "hot-cold" army that either rolls you or gets rolled depending on how the dice roll.
I kept the Farseer very well protected, so I think my opponent was torn between trying to fly away, but he wanted to try and roll me up using that smash trick to limit his first turn kills so he could get stuck in.
I don't think he knew about the Ethereal's aura, otherwise he might have tried something else.  (Not sure what, but at least it would have kept the LoC more active...)

Thanks for the comments all!

Love to read them and it makes it all so rewarding!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

The Man They Call Jayne

I do love the interaction with Bang and Lorilune. Look forward to seeing where that goes.

I was kinda reminded of the Operative from Serenity:

"Target the Reavers. Target the Reavers! Target everyone, somebody fire! "

and Nero from Star Trek:

"What is he doing. . .FIRE EVERYTHING!"

So much dakka it is almost unfair!

I am still torn on Snipers myself, they do have some big plusses. . .but, I just cant give up a Heavy Support slot for them unless it is a much lower point game.

BigToof

Thanks for the kind words Jayne,
I think Tau may be affecting the meta around here, as there's a lot of attempts to mitigate gunlines (i.e. more pie-plates) than usual.

I think...  I may have even seen a Whirlwind.

I know, shocking :)

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Chicop76

Quote from: BigToof on May 17, 2013, 12:20:06 AM
Thanks for the kind words Jayne,
I think Tau may be affecting the meta around here, as there's a lot of attempts to mitigate gunlines (i.e. more pie-plates) than usual.

I think...  I may have even seen a Whirlwind.

I know, shocking :)

Best,
-BT

whirlwinds are poping up a bit lol. Kill dem pathfinders.

The Man They Call Jayne

A Whirl. . wind? I do not believe I have encountered that mythical beast before :P