News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

That awesome moment...

Started by Waaaghpower, December 28, 2012, 11:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEF Knight

Quote from: Linn Scarlett on January 04, 2013, 01:06:27 AM
Well, I can only opt from my own art perspective to that - drawing a convincing, good looking but not cheesetastic female character is really, really difficult. Drawing men is much easier. Admittedly, I vastly prefer sketching men, because I prefer staring at them for over 20+ hours than I do staring at women for that long. As a result, I have more practise at drawing men. This might very well be the same for GWS' sculpters, who so far have created a range that is all but entirely male. Presuming, of course, they only sculpt for GWS...

That, and I think we're all more quickly inclined to stamp a female model as 'weird'/'boobish'/too nude/'not nude enough' or anything such than we do a male model, because movies and magazines so kindly tell us what females are 'supposed' to look like. And like it or not, it imprints an expectation, and when the model does't meet that.... crash comes the critique for 'the model suxxxxx?1?!!' :)

And they don't tell us what males are supposed to be like? There's a lot of issues there, but ultimately Warhammer lends itself very much to male sculpts over female sculpts, sadly, and not just in terms of societal bias.

Not only is there what you mentioned Scarlett, but theres the inverse where hulking, grim, silent, emotionless stereotypical men fit in very nicely to the setting, let alone technical art issues. Rendering women is about limiting detail as opposed to men, which doesnt work well for sculpts where the objective is ridiculous levels of detail. All Warhammer models are incredibly deformed (in ways that exaggerate male proportions) to help read on the table top. The bulky nature of all of the armour would occlude any female proportioning... The list goes on. I'd love to see more female models, but in a way I'm kind of surprised how many there are already given all of that.

LinnScarlett

Still, there is non-GWS model suppliers on this scale that do a quite good job at creating female models without making them look cheesetastic.

I personally would welcome some minor gender variety in all my armies (safe my Catachan :P), for every so often the pure sausage parade gets mildly irritating. But then, that is mostly the models, as the universe beyond has a quite reasonable share of female figures doing awesome stuff. Having to always cross-branch kit-bash my female heroines gets lame after a while though. ::)

T'is a strange thing though, this randomly recurring want for female models I have. For example, I got quite irritated the other day with Deus Ex, for foisting a male-only avatar on me (again). Yet on the flip side, I have a happy blast of a time playing GoW as Fenix or Baird, even after some female Gears got thrust in for flavour...  ???
I need more time to do the Emperor's work!

You can read my stuff on 2S's Fluff and Stories.

Or, you can come visit my author page on Archive of Our Own. WARNING: NC-17