News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Imperial Guard Ideal?

Started by Chicop76, December 22, 2012, 01:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicop76

Well it's an old ideal I have never done, but semi-used.

First off I would like to start off saying I seen the grenade launcher rarely used and the flamer/ melta/ and plasma seems like the better choice.

I have in the past ran grenade launching special teams behind my chimeras which have done decent in the past. The weapon can hit at str 6 at decent range or drop str 3 blast shots on targets. The problem with special teams is poor bs.

In the future I will still take special teams, but run them with flamers since the flamer is so much better now, but the reason I am bring this up is that I am covering the grenade launcher.

Well I never took veterans cause for 2 points more I am paying for better bs and leadership. I wanted to run a female vetetran squad for the longest and wonder how should I gear them out. Give them armour, let them be skimpy, or have them in cloaks. Well I came across the female grenade launcher model which I happen to own, but don't use. Than a light bulb flickered in my head.

Has any one seen this set up.
10 veterans: 3x grenade launchers auto cannon in chimera with multi and heavy bolter.

With no extra gear that set up is 150 points. That is 5 rapid fire strength 3 shots, a strength 3 pistol, three strength 6 shots, two strength 7 shots, three more strength 6, and three strngth 5 shots. That is eleven shots that is five and higher which half is at bs 4. I know I can run plasma instead thanks to the rule change, but that is 30 points extraa with like a 1/6 chance of my guy dying.

I never thought about that set up, or how viable it is. If I throw in harker that is 3 more strength 5 shots. For 14 strength 5 or higher shots with a possible 11 strength 3 shots. 20-25 shots is not really a bad deal.

Instead of running a chimera I can give them cloaks which would make them like marines in cover. If in +4 cover.

I am also thinking of doing the same with my hqs which whould be 2 grenade and one auto cnnon.

What y'all think. Is it viable? Should I run with it?

I am now thinking of doing a female version of Harker. I am thinking some cybernetics and may a heavy bolter arm, ( servitors have that). I might run with the cyborg arm.

The armoured ladies I have no problem doing and still be mostly gw. The unarmoured look would be hard and still be gw. Dark Eldar comes to mind. The problem is I need combat boots, but I might can work something out. Other options I've seen for gw revolves metal and old models I really do not like, or not even run gw models at all. Anyway opinions would be helpful.

Relooking at the book I am thinking a bit differantly on the harker unit. I didn't realize they can get a +2 cover save. I might run an extra empty chimera while they sit in terrain. However I am thinking they can make a good sniper unit. 3 sniper rifles, auto cannon, and heavy bolter with a +2 or +3 save in cover is really nice. I am not a fan of the sniper rifle, but it has range over the lancher. I think I will test out both and see how it works out.

Sniper vs Grenade Launcher

1. Vs vehicles they both can hit at 12, but you need a 6 to wound with sniper rifle to do anything against armour, while the grenade launcher can hurt armour 10-11 with out rolling a six. So against armour 12the same and against 10-11 the grenade launcher is better.

2. Against toughness 4 and lower models. Sniper rifles always wound on a 4 while the launcher would wound on 2s and instant killing some models. The ap of the rifle can be 2 with the roll of a 6 while the launcher can kill anything worst than marine armor. I say launcher is better for more wounds.

3. Against toughness 7 or higher the rifle becomes better than the launcher and against some t6 models which have a marine save or better the rifle turns to be better. Overall T7 and T8 models are rare with t6 being more common. Even t6 armies is not something you face all the time, so I would say launcher is better.

The problem is the 24" range vs the 36" range. However I can infiltrate which means I can be within 24" of a target at the start of the game.

Narric

The squad sounds good one paper. My last game was against IG, and the guy fielded Grenade Launchers. They were in his Inf Squad, and they were set-up as the front of his army. His heavy weapons stayed in a heavy weapon squad.

I persnally think it would be good, as the Grenade Launcher is a useful light vehicle diterent. The unit will struggle against armour 12 to 14 vehicles.

The Cloaks idea is cool, and would definately help them in high cover/terrain boards. Maybe you could moel them with cloaks, but field them with a Chimera as and when you need it.

Now about the modeling. Again, I say go for it. So long as you don't just put huge breasts on every model, I'll be cool.

Something you could try is modding the models so that you can swap between the Sniper and the Grenade. I know its possible to get the right sized magnets for the conversion. You will just have to be careful with the Sniper Rifle arms.

Chicop76

Mad Donna

I wonder why they do not have this model any more. It is actually a decent female model that can be easily used with 40k.

One of my options might just go with the Metal house esher models from necromunda. I can probably use Mad Donna as Harker if I can find the model.

Female cadians with cloaks I have no problem doing. I am weapon wise and body wise goin with Elysian drop troops from forge world. I am not doing my whole army like that. Just 20-30 models at the most.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Elysian_Drop_Troops/ELYSIAN_WEAPON_PACK.html

I was gonna use these weapons and go from there. Also I have a ton of grenade launchers and weapons.

The problem I am running into is trying to do catachan models. The is one I already own, and I seen excellant models I can use as female catachans which all I have to do is replace the weapons. The problem is staying 40k and making them look decent. My solution so far is to look through the dark eldar model range. I may have to green stuff boots for example. I am thininking of trying what some call grey stuff which is supposed to be better. I have use green stuff, but it is to sticky and either I get my finger prints on it or when I use a tool the green stuff want to stick to the tool.

This is an old project I been wanting to do. The good part is I have more options now than before. I might say screw GW and go with the female catachans I see else where. Although I am willing to trying the dark eldar ideal.

Narric

Good lord, that thing is scary O_o

That Elysian Weapon pack looks like an excellent set for what you're doing.
The Esher Gang models look fairly cool, though I can't help but think you should redo the more.... Gravity defying hair.

I doupt the problem is really "Staying 40k." The problem is making sure other people would recognise them for what they are. Have you considered anything from the Fantasy range?

Didn't you link some Female Guard Torsos before? So long as they don't stand out like a sore thumb, they may be a good option for you.

Chicop76

This is the Gaunts ghost model. If it wasn't for the skirt I would use it

The last pick is similar to what I am doing. The differance is I'm probably will use a differant torso and won't chop off my esher heads. If I have extras I might change my mind.

The female Tanith model. Unlike the otherb two I have no clue if GW still sells it or not. The Mad Donna model I've found on E-bay, but can't get it right now :( with 3 days left.

That is the other female guard bits I have no clue how to get. I only want the torso and the heads. Theses look better than what I posted on the female marine board.

I already have this model. Although it would be a pain to ulter it since it is metal, same situituation with the Escher and Mad Donna as well.

Quote from: Narric of 4th Sphere on December 22, 2012, 12:55:27 PM
Good lord, that thing is scary O_o

That Elysian Weapon pack looks like an excellent set for what you're doing.
The Esher Gang models look fairly cool, though I can't help but think you should redo the more.... Gravity defying hair.

I doupt the problem is really "Staying 40k." The problem is making sure other people would recognise them for what they are. Have you considered anything from the Fantasy range?

Didn't you link some Female Guard Torsos before? So long as they don't stand out like a sore thumb, they may be a good option for you.

I did. After looking long and hard I've found there are two torsos out there. The linked ones come out to be 40 dollars and the other ones I can do a whole model. I will show the pics which I was too lazy to do. Supposdly there are catachan ones.

I came arcoss some escher models that actually looked like they would make decent catachans with minor snips here and there. I seen some chopped in half with guard legs added, which looked ok since they have baggy legs. I also saw what I wanted to do except I wanted a female torso. Looking at the result the model seemed like the way I want to go now.

Arguleon-veq

I really like Vets with cloaks. They are very effective thanks to durability and a great rate of fire. Im really not sold on the grenade launcher though, the blast function for its ok but then you are pretty much wasting that extra BS skill. Thats why they are probably bettr on special weapon teams if anything or your usual guys if your short on points although as you have said, flamers are usually better.

I like to run 10 Vets with cloaks with 3 Plasma then either a Lascannon or an Autocannon.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chicop76

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on December 22, 2012, 09:00:10 PM
I really like Vets with cloaks. They are very effective thanks to durability and a great rate of fire. Im really not sold on the grenade launcher though, the blast function for its ok but then you are pretty much wasting that extra BS skill. Thats why they are probably bettr on special weapon teams if anything or your usual guys if your short on points although as you have said, flamers are usually better.

I like to run 10 Vets with cloaks with 3 Plasma then either a Lascannon or an Autocannon.

I done Vets with Plasma before. Like I said before that is like 30 points extra. Not saying I will not take plamsa. I probably will still go with plasma and med pack in my command squad. I want a shooty squad that can deal with light vehicles and infantry. I done the grenade launcher and mortoars and find it effective against toughness 3 models.

The problem with adding plasma it puts a big red target on them to be killed. Also I would wantto try to get in rapid fire range to get more bang for my buck. However 5 strngth 7 shots at bs 4 is not bad or 8 strength 7 shots.

Grenade launchers are very inexpensive and does decent damage. For the ost of one plasma riffle I can run 3 grenade launchers. 6 plasma or 18 launchers is another way to look at it as well. I never took advantage of the bs4 with the launchers. I normally add the launchers to my regular gurd squads and special teams. Since flamers are much better I'm sticking flamers in my squads now.

I will play test it to see how it pans out. The launcher used to be much better since it can be shot while moving. Now that plasma does the same I agree that plasma is not a bad choice either. I have taken out several vehicles out with them in the past. I do like the option to switch to blast if I need to. The only thing that bothers me is the darn +3 save or better which more than half the armies out there have. Three launchers would be hard pressed to kill a marine, while 3 plasma would kill 2 marines easy unless they are getting a cover save which makes the weapon slightly better killing marines for 30 points more.

My +4 save veterans I will run 3 plasma in a chimera, so I will have some plama love. The catachan squan is my static squad which I want to dish out a decent amount of fire power and remain static. I might still take a chimera, so the squad can hop in and fire while the chimera speeds them to safety. However the chimera might be a death trap for them and may not be the best thing to use for them to get away.