News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

The Mounted Guard [Army Concept & List][1850pts]

Started by Narric, February 03, 2013, 08:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

This idea came to me randomly. I can't really explain it. I guess the opporunity to add character to my models through a large amount of conversion work is what made this appeal to me.

The idea is to use the under-used "Rough Riders." Now, checking the GW store, they're very expensive for just their starting numbers.

Mabbz

I've just looked through the archive and found the 5th ed rough rider tactica. Here: http://secondsphere.org/labs/index.php?topic=239.msg0#new

Trouble is, rough rider lances are now only Ap3. As such they're no longer useful for killing terminators which is basically all I ever used mine for.

Narric

If I'm going to go TEq hunting, I'll equip either Plasma Guns or Meltaguns to my RRs. They're coming in at S5 and I5 on the first charge, and now have Hammer of Wrath, so you get an extra S3 attack to make up numbers. I reckon a full unit of ten Rough Riders, with a Power Axe Sergeant, toting Plasma Guns, would easily make short work of a Terminator squad. Krak Grenades will make short work of most medium vehicles and the Sergeants Meltabombs can take out a Land Raider. Oh, and even with Plasma Guns, you're unit is only 160pts at most. Choose the right targets, and they'll easily kill their points back.

My only concern is their survivablilty. With no way to upgrade to Flak armour, they're easy pickings to most armies iirc.

Mogul Kamir would certainly be a fluffy upgrade, and only raises a single unit to 200pts. Furious Charge is great for those secondarycharges, and Rage will definately make the enemy feel the pain.

Chicop76

Quote from: Narric of 4th Sphere on February 05, 2013, 05:38:28 PM
If I'm going to go TEq hunting, I'll equip either Plasma Guns or Meltaguns to my RRs. They're coming in at S5 and I5 on the first charge, and now have Hammer of Wrath, so you get an extra S3 attack to make up numbers. I reckon a full unit of ten Rough Riders, with a Power Axe Sergeant, toting Plasma Guns, would easily make short work of a Terminator squad. Krak Grenades will make short work of most medium vehicles and the Sergeants Meltabombs can take out a Land Raider. Oh, and even with Plasma Guns, you're unit is only 160pts at most. Choose the right targets, and they'll easily kill their points back.

My only concern is their survivablilty. With no way to upgrade to Flak armour, they're easy pickings to most armies iirc.

Mogul Kamir would certainly be a fluffy upgrade, and only raises a single unit to 200pts. Furious Charge is great for those secondarycharges, and Rage will definately make the enemy feel the pain.

Keep us informed. I very much so wanted to do this a long time ago and thanx to the 5th edition codex which put sentinels as a fast choice killed me doing so. Also guard being so op and with the leaf blower I stopped playing my guard mostly.

I did have a concept for doing centaurs. It works well since some horses you have to glue on the heads and you can put a guards man torso in place of the head. I was thinking of Cadian armour for the project and was still figuring what type of horse body to work with to give it a more armoured look.

The centaur ideal would work well with the likes of hobbits and ogres already in the army.