News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

GW Presents - 'Let's sell more flyers'

Started by Cammerz, February 16, 2013, 01:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man They Call Jayne

Wait, the Stormtalon DIDN'T have a Hover mode? That's news to me.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Paradoxrifts

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on February 16, 2013, 11:16:41 PM
Just did the math and when I started at the dawn of 5th edition, I got a BRB, Tau dex, battle force and an extra box of firewarriors for £115 ish. Today that exact same set up would cost £166. What justifies an extra £50? Ok the 6th ed rulebook is thicker and better quality, so I will allow maybe an extra tenner on that, but has the cost of plastic really risen so much that they can charge and extra £40? Not to mention that the EXACT same codex costs £20 now, when it was £12 at the time. Why has this happened?

Is, that a rhetorical question?

The market reached saturation point a while ago. It started way back when they began concentrating on selling models, the rules for which were designed around allowing existing armies to do things that they'd traditionally not been able to do. After that stopped working they then released Apocalypse to try and encourage players to buy even more models to play even larger games. And when that stopped working they started releasing all those terrain kits. They've also been invalidating units occasionally like when 1st Company Veterans were replaced by Sternguard and Vanguard. And not to mention slowly but surely inflating the points prices of everything in the game to further encourage existing players to add a new unit or two to an already existing army. There are essentially too many people who can play WH40K but not nearly enough people who want to play WH40K, so the only acceptable solution from Games Workshop's point of view since they clearly don't want to change their business model is to try and milk the people who can play WH40K for as long as they can.

Think of it this way. When their consumers collectively give Games Workshop their money they're not paying solely for the products they want to walk away with, they're also paying for whatever it takes for the business to keep it's doors open and turn a profit for the company's shareholders.

Whether you think you're getting a good deal or not, well, ultimately that's your call.

InsaneTD

They have started planing to close stores too. There are two stores here in adelaide that will be closing this year. One store will soon only have one staff member, which will probably when it will close. The other one, admittly has been replaced with a
bigger with cheaper rental. We can't see the (currently) 4th store staying open for more then a year. The rental on most of their stores here are horribly high.

Matt1785

Grey Knights and Blood Angels still have access to the Stormraven.. it's in their books.  As the FAQ states, you can only take vehicles in your army list section.  Space Marines and BTs are the exception because it is NOT in their list sections.

knightperson

Quote from: Begel Dverl on February 16, 2013, 08:19:36 PM
Whoa! Look what I found!

http://onlyterriblethings.blogspot.com/2013/02/crash-and-burn.html#!/2013/02/crash-and-burn.html

I'm across the lake from Wisconsin so their deal isn't much good to me, but I did send them a "Get 'im Boss" email of encouragement.
Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.

Will's on Fire

Quote from: Matt1785 on February 17, 2013, 06:55:25 PM
Grey Knights and Blood Angels still have access to the Stormraven.. it's in their books.  As the FAQ states, you can only take vehicles in your army list section.  Space Marines and BTs are the exception because it is NOT in their list sections.

Yeah, that's rules as intended. It's not what it says though. :P

I would play it as intended, would be interested to see someone argue it in a tournament.

- Will