News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Codex Adepta Sororitas - Preview from BoW (and Related Rumours Thread)

Started by Narric, October 10, 2013, 05:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

What should really bother me is that in Australia those 10 sisters = $135 (AUD)...

I don't see this as definitive evidence of phasing out though. It doesn't look good for sisters players who want new models any time soon but at least they will have up-to-date rules to play with. I wouldn't use the points that we can see to judge the playability of the new rules either, not until we get the whole picture or at the very least see how acts of faith will work.

Narric

I think thats part of the problem Tom, only existing SoB/Sororitas players will get any use out of this book, which will undoubtably not be enough in terms of sales to make GW even consider a physical release of the codex, let alone anything re-done for the miniatures.

They're phasing Sisters out, clear and simple.

The Allfather

Quote from: Matt1785 on October 14, 2013, 11:12:46 PM
Wait a minute, $33 bothers you?  That's what all the books cost, what SHOULD bother you is 10 sisters (Randomly selected FOR you) for $80.  Yeah, they're phasing them out, and in a couple of years they will be all but a memory.

Well, I didn't really look at those prices, since I have way more than enough battle sisters already so I won't be buying any new ones.

GreaterGoodNewZealand

What bothers me is that they cost so much for 10 metal sisters it's not funny (NZ$159 for their 1 click sisters squad) plus the e-book which most likely costs at least NZ$50, probably even more than that (but at least it's not hardback.....). With prices like that, is it any wonder that their sales aren't that high? They're phasing them out, plain and simple. I'd love to play them and was really excited about the sisters getting a new codex, but not any more. They've killed them and now they're phasing them out entirely.

Sorry. The stress of an army I want to play being phased out seems to be getting to me. It shouldn't but it is.
I wrote a tabletop war game! It can be found here  http://thatkiwiguy.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/5/ -  if people wish to read the rules. Still working on some of the factions and most of the background.

Tom

Quote from: Narric on October 15, 2013, 08:36:44 AM
I think thats part of the problem Tom, only existing SoB/Sororitas players will get any use out of this book, which will undoubtably not be enough in terms of sales to make GW even consider a physical release of the codex, let alone anything re-done for the miniatures.

They're phasing Sisters out, clear and simple.

I think you might be right but I'm still hopeful that a model release will happen in the future. That's probably very optimistic but that's better than despairing right? At least I'm sure we can all agree that if Sisters only got a couple of nice plastic kits they'd soon be a real option again.

Can anyone remember how long it was between Dark Eldar updates? I remember when I started 40k they were already old and outdated and I couldn't imagine anyone starting a new army with their weird metal models. I'll concede that metal kits weren't so expensive and they did have plastic troops but I would have thought their sales would have suffered. Then when they got a Phil Kelly codex and an excellent set of new plastic kits and suddenly they were a really attractive army.

I'm going to be hopeful for as long as I can that something similar happens to sisters one day and a digital codex says to me that GW is keeping that kit upgrade a future option.

salamut2202

The thing is that if they gave them the Dark Eldar treatment I can assure they would have the demand in no time. I know it can get very circular from there.

Narric

A quick query. Assuming some one here has bought all the recent codex releases, has there been much mention of Sisters of Battle? I'm about to have a look through the Chaos Codex, but I'm curious what the Tau, Dark Angel, and Eldar Codexi have on the girls.

[edit]
Found a few mentions to start with:
Page 16 - Ecclesiarchy working with the Inquisition and Space Marines to route out potentional insurrection with Segmentum Solar.
On the same page, the Ecclesiarchy is mentioned again, but mostly just to point the finger of corruption at Marine Chapters not affected by warp storms.

Page 23 - Ecclesiarch world attacked by Orks. Adepta Sororitas mentioned by name. Planet is defeated once Mortarion enters the battle due to plague.
- Saint from page 16 revealed to be a Chaos agent.

Thats all I can see....

Matt1785

Well, having read the update, it's pretty solid I have to say.  Nothing ground-breaking, but Priests are pretty good, and Acts of Faith is good without being broken or confusing.  Some cool relics in there for the army, the Canoness will be a tank, that's for sure.

It's too bad they didn't update the models, this would be a solid bit of selling for GW if they would have.  I really think they've made an Adepta Sororitas list pretty relevant here.  Dominions have a place, regular sisters, it's a good looking book, if a bit short.

Narric

Copying this over from How to Lose at 40k*'**/WIP'R'US as I'm not sure many ofour number have bought the actual dex. Make sure to click the link so the guy knows he is liked ^_^

QuoteSo the better:
Exorcists -10 points
    Solid unit for fewer points make it a win

Ministorum Priests -20 points
    Extra options still make these expensive
    New ability War Hymns can give his unit reroll failed armor and invulnerability saves, give the priest Smash, or give his unit reroll on wounds

Arco-flagellents -5 points
    Seems they get the extra attack for 2 weapons now

Immolator -20 points for Multi-melta version
Heavy Flamer -10 points
Simulacrum Imperialis -10 points and different
Neural Whip
    Has Shred special rule if majority LD is 8 or lower, so re-roll wounds

Condemnor Boltgun -5 points
    Still probably not worth taking except Psykers are more prevalent, so maybe 1
    Causes Perils of the Warp on a hit to the unit (so I am unclear if that is every Psyker in the unit each suffers the Peril or what)

Shield of Faith
    Added Adamantium Will

The different:
St.Celestine +20 points
    Only 1 get up from death
    added Hit and Run
    In assault, first thoughts are she wants to be with a Priest to get re-roll armor saves and invulnerable saves, which kind of leaves the Seraphim without her to run around with.

Uriah Jacobus +10 points
    No give unit FNP
    Instead give models within 12" Fearless and Counter-attack
    Gives Shield of Faith models in unit 5+ invulnerable

Basically the same:
Seraphim
    Hand Flamers reduced to -10 points from before, but act of Faith is 1 use per game
    Do not and can not get a Simulacrum Imperialis

Dominions
    Faith changed to Ignores Cover

Celestians -1 points
    Faith is Furious Charge
    Still not good on their own for assault

Canoness
    So her faith power gives Hatred, but you can get a Priest for 40 points less and get always Fearless and Hatred (no need to roll for a Faith power), Huh?
    Why would someone take her, certainly not to get the Command Squad

Worse:
Sororitas Command Squad
    Faith Changed to gets Fleet, Crusader, and Move Through Cover in the assault phase

Death Cult Assassins (only have power swords)
Crusaders (only have power swords)
Retributor squads (Heavy Bolters are +5 points/model, and faith changes)
Eviscerators +5 points

Only on Canonesses and Priests

Penitent Engines -5 points
    I was hoping for more like -20 points (mostly since Heavy flamers they have went down by that amount, I know that's not how those things are calculated, but they still seem overpriced).
    Reduced in number of attacks to 3
    Lost extra attacks on unsaved wounds

Repentia -3 points
    New faith gives 3+ FNP
    Although they lose always on FNP

Faith
    1 time use whether you pass or fail
    You can spend +10 points on a Veteran Superior to get +1 LD to pass just a little more often
    You can spend +10 points to try to use your faith a second time.
    Most Faith powers are not good enough to maybe work and then only once, unless you spend more points. It is hard not to look at other codex armies that just get special rules on every turn always.

AWOL:
Arch Confessor Kyrinov
    He's got a flavor text paragraph and his mace is there, but he's on vacation.

salamut2202

I could see those as cool imperial allies looking at that list.

The Allfather

I'm disappointed that the Penitent Engines are so overpriced... they're one of the coolest units in the codex. I also like the idea of the Condemnor. Seems like a disappointing codex overall though, IMO.