News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

More questions from a clueless bloke (how to paint tanks)

Started by Minrat, February 12, 2013, 09:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minrat

specifically Tau ones, but general advice is useful as well.

I imagine a few colors in some kind of pattern is the norm, but how do you do the patterns properly (looking in the codex it seems like they must have used something to stop paint cos the lines are really smooth....  Is that just practise or is there a cheat?

If i cant get smooth lines-what other ways can i cheat?

Narric

There is always the fine-liner way, but it can be very obvious if you do it wrong.

For my most recent Tau Devilfish, I gave the entire tank a once over with the paint, then used Black wash on the lines. For my next layer of colour Itook the brush close to the end of the lines, and brushed sideways. I learned this trick ages ago, and provided you haven't over filled your paintbrush, the lines should come out crisply.

This is what I ended up with:

Minrat

Thanks Narric (that looks really cool).

Has anyone heard of Gundam markers-could they be used?

Also-if i wanted (and i doubt i will have the patience, but good to know as i work in a hobby store) to do the multicolor camo effect that you find in the current codex (areas of each color with no lines between them) how would that be achieved?

Chocomel

Narric

I see what you mean now.

I found a tutorial on another forum, you can see it here: http://s3.zetaboards.com/The_Ammobunker/topic/176931/1/

Mods will probably tell me off for that, but I don't think anyone on here has made a similar tutorial yet.