News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

1850 pts Blood Angels- jump/fast attack list

Started by Tempest Six Two, January 15, 2013, 01:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tempest Six Two

Hi everyone,

I finalised and submitted my list for Cancon on 26-28 January, its 8 games at 1850pts with no comp scoring/restrictions (although TO's discretion regarding beardy lists). Just wanted to get people's thoughts regarding how best to use what I have. Please understand that this is list built on the premise of equal parts aesthetics/fluff/competitiveness, I'm not expecting to crush everything but should make a good showing. List is as follows:

HQ
Librarian- Terminator Armour, Force Axe, Storm Shield (WARLORD). Divination
Librarian- Force Sword, Jump Pack. Divination

EL
Furioso- Blood Talons, Heavy Flamer upgrade. Riding in a Drop Pod
5x Terminators- TH/SSs
2x Sanguinary Priests- Jump packs, Meltabombs

TR
10 Assault Marines- 2x Meltaguns. Sgt w Power Sword, Meltabombs.

FA
Attack Bike Squadron (3)- Heavy Bolters

HV
Stormraven Gunship- TL Assault Cannons, TL Multimelta, extra armour

So there you go, 1850pts of red death! Ive played a couple of games with this list so far, with some very promising results (2 wins and a draw). The list in itself is a very offensive one, in that everything is fast, can be deployed from reserve/deepstrike etc, but i'm trying to work out how best to get the ball rolling- I see deployment and the first turn being crucial in order to get a good result, mainly due to the Drop Pod having to come in turn 1, and the SRaven unable to come in until turn 2 onwards.

The Assault Squads are possibly best deployed on table with maybe only one in reserve to Deepstrike in turn 2 (using DoA). The Dread in Drop Pod will be a hard one to use, in that Im not keen on giving away a free First Blood VP for the Pod, but still want to put the Dread where he can hurt my opponent. I think i'll be popping smoke as son as the Dread is out, in order to maximise his survivability. He'll make an excellent anti- AA unit, or simply to draw fire from my advancing jump marines, and I know that if he makes combat he's a barrel of laughs :) 

Both Librarians will be taking Divination powers, with the default Prescience re-rolls making the attached squads (Termies, and an Assault Squad) much more potent in combat. AFAIK these re-roll are also for shooting as well, giving my 2x meltaguns a lot better chance of hurting MC or vehicle threats. We roll for their powers prior to first game, and they retain these for the entire tournament.

The Sang priests will be attached to the other two assault squads, with a possible 6" FNP/FC bubble wrap of an adjacent assault unit as well.

The Termies and Libby in Term Armour will by default be riding in the Raven for Deployment, and i'll be trying to tie up AA threats with fast moving assault squads or the Dread in order to get these guys onto the table safely, although I'm not too worried. However, if circumstances dictate it I am prepared to teleport them in and run them across the table, their Storm Shields should help with survivability.. if anyone has any advice regarding terminator deployment strategies Im all ears :)

Not too sure on what to do with the Attack Bikes, im thinking they'll be providing some long range fire supporting the advance of the close combat units, or even turboboosting forwards and engaging fire support units (Devs/IG Hvy Weapon teams, Dark Reapers etc) in cc. With T5 they can now shrug off a lot of damage and still make it into cc, i've used bikes for this purpose before and they work well.

The Raven will for the most part be peeling onto the table the full 36". Assuming a successful delivery of Terminators I might then fly it back off the board into Strat Reserve, but this depends on enemy AA capability- fairly normal stuff. 

I've also written down a bunch of things to remember that I always seem to forget, such as:

Red Thirst- roll for it! (i always forget)
Not shooting? RUN RUN RUN!
At range- use jump pack in movement phase (12"), then just regular 2D6, no re-rolls, no Hammer of Wrath. A near-guaranteed charge with no HoW is much better than not getting into combat and being stuck in the open...
Feel No Pain and Furious Charge!! Those Priests are there for a reason!

So, please review my list, and maybe give me some of your thoughts regarding how you'd play them- deployment, tactics etc? The missions are for the most part basic rule book stuff, with a few extra VPs here and there to spice things up.

Thank guys,
Tempest.
My mini painting and terrain building blog- come check it out: http://tempest-terrain.blogspot.com/

[IMG]http://secondsphere.org/award.php?i=384&k=d2dd7e&m

Chicop76

I think these 2 things.

1. Drop pods or rhinos for your guys on foot. Fast Rhinos can cover a lot of area really fast.

2. Only one flamer? With the capablity of taking 3 flame type weapons in the squad I would like to see a flamer or two. I am a fan of inferno pistol and two flamers. I put an inferno prist with squd for two inferno pistols and two flamers.

Looking at your list you have almost no anti vehicle at all from range. The ant vehicle you do have can be killed at range.

Besides your bikes and flyer you could run circles with that list.

I forgot your guys come with packs, so it is more mobile than I thought it was. However I think getting wings for your term libby wouldn't be a bad ideal.

Arguleon-veq

I think its pretty nice, I would put Multi Meltas on the Attack Bikes though if you have them.

I really think you should go with the Frag Cannon option on the Pod Furioso. When it comes down, that load out does little damage and then if you want it in a threatening position it will probably get charged. At least the Frag Furioso can do damage when it lands and then it gets to stand and shoot with the Frag Cannon.

The last thing I would think about is starting those termies in the Raven. Take a good look at your opponents list first, you dont want half the unit dying when it gets shot down, especially your warlord being instant killed with a landing. If you start them on foot it will take a lot of heat off your assault marines as they simply cant be ignored and if you get the power that lets your libby re roll his own saves having him out the front of the unit will make the unit a nightmare to kill.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Tempest Six Two

Thanks for the replies lads- I didnt think I mentioend that yes, the Termies have always been riding in the Raven as default, with the Termy Librarian attached. Chicop- he wont need Wings when he runs like this, and AFAIK you either take the rulebook powers OR the Codex powers- no picking between both.

I do have lots of anti-armour, I just have to close with the opposing force to deliver it! I have the MultiMeltas for them, but only had 25pts to spare once all my other choices were locked in, needed 30 for the MMs. I figure that the HB loadout is okay though, 36" range lets them sit right back and harass, and within 24" they'll put out a hail of fire when the bolters are included.

In essence, this might be viewed as an 'all or nothing' type list- im gonna trash a lot of other lists, but get wiped out by others. Although, I'm hoping my Sang Priest and Libby buffs keep me in the game long enough for a few wins.   
My mini painting and terrain building blog- come check it out: http://tempest-terrain.blogspot.com/

Chicop76

Quote from: Tempest Six Two on January 15, 2013, 09:58:59 PM
Thanks for the replies lads- I didnt think I mentioend that yes, the Termies have always been riding in the Raven as default, with the Termy Librarian attached. Chicop- he wont need Wings when he runs like this, and AFAIK you either take the rulebook powers OR the Codex powers- no picking between both.

I do have lots of anti-armour, I just have to close with the opposing force to deliver it! I have the MultiMeltas for them, but only had 25pts to spare once all my other choices were locked in, needed 30 for the MMs. I figure that the HB loadout is okay though, 36" range lets them sit right back and harass, and within 24" they'll put out a hail of fire when the bolters are included.

In essence, this might be viewed as an 'all or nothing' type list- im gonna trash a lot of other lists, but get wiped out by others. Although, I'm hoping my Sang Priest and Libby buffs keep me in the game long enough for a few wins.

I forgot about using the flyer. You still supposdly have to pick a power and than switch it out. I say pick wings just in case. The good part about the random powers is that either you go with your normal powers or use the random powers. Depending on what you are going against you may want to fall back to your default powers.

My concern is I you go against nids. Bugs are nastier now that preferred enemy is included with shooting. I almost lost to them due to underestamating over watch and counter charge. Having a bit more flame will give you more options. Like do you really want to assault Harliquins for an example or get rapid fired by 100 lasguns on overwatch.

Tempest Six Two

Chicop- the Termy Librarian will always be deployed with the Terminators, they're his bodyguard in essence, and he's there to buff them up like crazy. Most of the time they'll be deploying in via Stormraven, or in certain circumstances via teleport (ie, opponent has vicious AA capability). So, he wont be needing wings. And the other Libby already has a jump pack and is attached to an assault squad.

I did consider flamers in the begininning, but its armour-heavy lists that I hate the most (they used to trash my DA lists)- I have the ability to counter nids through my 'hammer' units- Termies/Libby in Raven and Furioso in DP, and the rest of the army is mobile enough to pick and choose its battles. And there's a lot of melta in the list that can deal with MCs if needed.

Im hearing you though re: blob squad massed lasgun fire... I lost a fully decked out Tactical Squad in a recent game to this kind of attack. You cant stop the 1s from popping up when the hits and wounds are coming en masse...