News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Dawn and Dusk - a My Little Pony Roleplay (Sign up and OOC thread)

Started by Mabbz, February 10, 2013, 10:00:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waaaghpower

Close. I wolf referencing the 1d4chan Space Wolf article. It's very wolf, and has some wolf advice wolf.
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Space_Wolves#Combat_doctrine
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Mabbz

On a more useful topic, is anyone besides Anna staying home to keep an eye on Hazy and the two intruders? 'Cause that's what I go with if no-one says otherwise.

HectorSmash

Mabbz

And there go the GMPCs. Hazy and Anna, you left alone in a building that your enemies know about and that contains two prisoners that the baddies might have wanted back. Not a great idea. As for Patent, he just rolled badly.

Waaaghpower

No! Those were my favorite hinges!
Also, what do you mean by "Hazy and Anna, you left alone in..."
And I want my cookie.

Mabbz

Avenge the hinges!

I meant you left Hazy and Anna alone in... Sorry for the poor wording.

Thunder wins the cookie! Now I have to figure out how to work that into the story :P

HectorSmash

Waaaghpower

HectorSmash

Waaaghpower

Such a dilemma. If I post a joke *about* my 666th post, I'll no longer have 666 posts. If I DON'T post a joke, there won't be a joke...
Yo. Can any of you explain (approximately) why you like the show? Like, with words. I have a friend who is genuinely baffled, even after watching a couple episodes. And I can't seem to explain well. (Don't just say something generic, though, like 'Teh writingz are teh lulz' or something.) Thanks.
I'll give you my cookie if you help.

HectorSmash

It (the show) maintains the notion that every individual is unique - in colors, in race, in 'talent,' in personality, and so on - without sacrificing the idea that all these individuals can work together to form a beautiful, idyllic society run on the elements they uphold.

Kindness, generosity, good humor, honesty, loyalty, and the ability to expand one's mind are held in regard as the most important characteristics of a person; not how successful, beautiful, or rich they are.

Furthermore, these concepts are packaged in a decidedly feminine and expressive way. This gives many men, who have chronically been urged to be 'manly,' an anchor for their feminine side - their anima, as Jung called it. It's not feminine for the sake of being feminine, it's feminine to use and exemplify the traits commonly associated with being effeminate: empathy, grace, and compassion. For someone like me, it's validation. It means that all my life I haven't been misled, that the key to a healthy and happy society does in fact lie with these characteristics, and that I shouldn't be ashamed to make good use of them.

A few other points would be the counterculture aspect and the fact that it has a substantial fanbase. Some people may be drawn to the idea of being contrary to the currently accepted notion of what makes a man, and like the show for that reason rather than actually approving of its message. In other words, they'd be fighting against something, rather than for something else.

Others may be attracted to the sizable fanbase and just want to fit in. That's fine too. I like fitting in. Everyone does, I think. Even the people who call themselves 'contrarian.'

Further still, you have people fascinated by the artistic style, people romantically attracted to the characters, people who are something else first and a brony second (like some FO:E fans) - the list just goes on and on. Of course, it's not unreasonable to expect any given person to fall into multiple categories at once.

It all comes back to my original point: everyone has their own individual way of liking the show, but in the end, no matter how we show our interest, we're all united by it.

And that's just so precious to me, I can't not be a part of it.

Waaaghpower

That's... Surprisingly eloquent. Thanks.
I will post eventually if nobody else does, but I feel like I should stop going every other time.

HectorSmash

No problem. Hope your friend understands us a bit better now.

I'm going to tell KoM to post when he gets home from work, but I think in this instance it wouldn't be too bad to alternate posts with me.

Waaaghpower

:derp:
Is it just me, or are the first five minutes of the new episode simply making fun of the fandom?

HectorSmash

I think most of the episode could be applied to the pony fandom. I, for one, have a tendency to put my favorite authors, artists, and musicians on a bit of a pedestal. If it was intentionally poking fun at us, I think it's well-deserved. Besides, it's healthy to laugh at oneself from time to time!

Also we got some really interesting facial and body expressions out of it. I think you know which ones I'm talking about.