News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

WIP Avatar - NOW COMPLETE?

Started by Tom, April 25, 2013, 11:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

If you couldn't tell from the missing head and immodest clothing this chap is a work in progress. I'm interested which bits you think need more work because I'm not sure. I'm going for a dark molten effect using silver for the solid metal parts to represent his molten iron nature instead of gold or brass which one often sees on Khorne Khaine daemons avatars...

The Man They Call Jayne

That is a seriously impressive mini. I can't offer any advice though because it already way out of my league.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Rej

I've been looking forward to seeing this! It's so very Impressive! How are you planning on doing the base? Same as the rest of your Eldar? Maybe some scorch marks?
Phew...

Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus

Source lighting on the base would be fanatically awesome.

Ripper paint job on the model man! :D
Quote from: Narric on August 15, 2011, 12:09:07 AM
You make it sound like it could be wearing a top-hat and monocle, but for the sole reason it'd have been painted by Gareth that it would still look terrifying........I have to say I agree. XD
Quote from: Greg Mun

Will's on Fire

Really good paint job so far! Looking great.

I think you've got the colour of the molten parts really nice. The gems are also really nicely done.

Great work! Interested to see how the robes go.

- Will

Tom

I'm very glad you all like him.

Quote from: Rej on April 26, 2013, 01:43:33 AM
How are you planning on doing the base? Same as the rest of your Eldar? Maybe some scorch marks?
He has to match them so the base will be mostly the same except I think I'm going to include burnt grass and scorch marks around his feet. I think I might also use tufts of grass rather than just regular static grass because his base will probably benefit from some height to match such a tall model.

Quote from: Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus on April 26, 2013, 04:27:16 AM
Source lighting on the base would be fanatically awesome.
It's a good suggestion but I don't know if I can make it work. The other trouble is that I don't think I've made my avatar bright enough that he'd cast much light on the ground. Which leads to...

Quote from: Will's on Fire on April 26, 2013, 08:36:10 AM
I think you've got the colour of the molten parts really nice.
I'm very happy that you say that because it's something that I was very unsure about. He's supposed to be molten iron so that would make him a bright yellow or orange but also make him a puddle.... so I think he needs to be mostly a darker crusty colour to give the impression he might stick together but then he starts to look less like a molten iron god and more like a god gone cold.

Next I'm going to do the head I think - get the rest of his molten bits sorted while I still remember what I'm doing - before I do the hair and loincloth. I'm actually considering leaving the loincloth off because it obscures some of my efforts on the legs but perhaps he'll look really odd without something to cover his lack of anything to cover.

Rej

I think your conveying molten really well and I prefer the dark on the outside like this rather than reds and yellows, which make him look like fire etc. Your Avatar looks like he's really hot and Molten, but it's contained on the inside, Like lava running under and around obsidian. He's more like a Volcano rather than a fire. Have you though about having any of the molten lava running or dripping from him?
Also the silver and blue were a great choice, it works really really well.
Phew...

Tom

I think I'm going to call this guy done. At least for the moment. I'm at a loss about how to improve the wailing doom and I don't like the look of his loincloth on him. All Gods should be naked right?

I think perhaps the hair from his helmet is a little boring as pure black but I prefer to think of it as understated... I don't like the idea of white stripes through it and a flaming effect might be a little too garish.

What do you think? What about the base specifically? I didn't think he'd be hot enough to actually melt the ground just by walking over it for a second so I went for a scorched look on it and on the grass around.

Wargamer

A very nice Avatar indeed. Perhaps with the hair you could try and give it a 'burnt wood' look? Add some greys or dull reds as though it's smoldering inside?
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

The Man They Call Jayne

Excellent work. I agree with Wargamer on the hair though, in needs a little something, nothing major, just a suggestion of heat.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Deraj

With the hair you could also do a lighter smokier look, to go with the kind of smouldering look, like it's slowly billowing? Also; as awesome as the model is, the understated edgework on the sword has to be my favorite thing about it.

Tom

Thanks for the replies, your suggestions for the hair are very helpful. I think I might try and mix a little red-brown into a shade and see how that goes with it to try and tie it to the hot colours of the avatar's body. I used shadow grey to add the highlights so they have a smokey blue tint that contrasts (perhaps not to advantage) with the orange of the avatar.