News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

The Eldar Alliance vs. Necro-Orks in "When I Grow Up..." (1500, 12/29)

Started by BigToof, December 29, 2012, 03:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

The Eldar Alliance vs. Necro-Orks in "When I Grow Up..." (1500, 12/29)

Hi All,
Welcome to another Batrep.  I know, it's not Ork, but it sort of is...
I managed to get a good battle against the combined forces of a Mech-Necron list (with Barges and Scythes) and a smallish Green Horde.
Suffice to say, it was very interesting to bring my evolving Eldar Alliance (DE with a splash of Craftworld) to face.
Oh, and there's fluff as well :)

Enjoy!

Best,
-BT

P.S.  As always C&C is greatly appreciated!

---------
The Lists
---------

The Eldar Alliance (1500pts): 35 Infantry, 5 Vehicles, 1 Fort; 13 VPs
The Grisly Hand Kabal
-Archon Y'stral w/Shadow Field, Huskblade, Blaster, Soul Trap, CD
-Haemonculus Bella Le'Gosi w/Venom Blade, LG
-Warriorsx10 w/Splinter Cannon in Raider w/Splinter Rack
-Wychesx8, HGs, Hekatrix Allonia w/Venom Blade in Raider w/EA
-Reaversx6 w/Heatlancesx2, Arena Champion Starsparkle w/Venom Blade
-Ravager
-Ravager
-Voidraven Bomber
(Absolutely Not) The Scarlet Serpents
-Farseer Thielbane w/Doom, RofWarding, Jetbike
-Fire Dragonsx5 w/Exarch Glorandria, Crack Shot, Tank Hunters
-Guardian Jetbikesx3
Ageis Defense Line w/Quadgun

Necro-Ork List (1500): 48 Infantry, 6 Vehicles; 11 VPs
Mech-Cron Assimilators
-Overlord w/Scythe, Weave, Scarabs, Res Orb in CCB
-Warriorsx5 w/Stormtek in Night Scythe
-Warriorsx5 w/Stormtek in Night Scythe
-Wraithsx6
-Doom Scythe
-Annihilation Barge
-Annihilation Barge
The Green Meatshield
-Warboss w/Mega-Armor
-Shootasx30 w/Big Shootasx3

---------------------------
Chapter Five: Growing Pains
---------------------------

"What is so Khaine-damned important that you needed to wake me up in the middle of the night?"

Archon Y'stral of the Grisly Hand Kabal fumed, staring at Farseer Thielbane, most recently of Craftworld Biel-tan and his current partner in Realspace raiding.

"I explained on the way, Y'stral, we're having guests."

Y'stral scratched the side of his head.  Thiel was in a strangely pleasant mood given their circumstances.

"Don't see what's so great about having guests.  I mean, we just lost the Incubi's contract and all."

Thielbane sighed, "I believe it was YOU who lost the contract.  On a game."

Y'stral fumed, "I had Malys and Four of the Muses in my hand, Thiel.  In MY hand.  That comes along ONCE in a lifetime.  You better believe I bet everything I had."

"And yet... here we are, in dire financial straits again," said Thielbane, shaking his head.

Y'stral muttered, "It's not like I knew he had Vect in his deck.  I mean, if I KNEW that, of course I would have played different.  Damned Ssylths, they always have something up their sleeves."

Thielbane nodded, trying not to roll his eyes.  This latest setback had put the duo in a most compromising situation.  Without adequate soul chits in their account, financing a Realspace raid of any kind would be difficult, if not impossible.  Luckily (perhaps a bit too much in Thielbane's opinion), he had recieved a message from Craftworld Biel-tan.  The Seer Council had determined that there was a great risk if the Assimilator gained more power.

Thielbane swallowed nervously at the thought of that.

The Assimilator was the nickname of Overlord Gauros, a rather nasty Necrotyr, even by their standards.  Unlike the other skeletal monstrosities, who were perfectly content with simply destroying all living things, Gauros had gotten the idea into his head to enslave all of the living through their sinister technology and use them as unthinking puppets in his growing armada.

But even that was little of a threat, until the Assimilator managed to crush a medium sized Ork WAARGH!, and now with the burgeoning Greenskins added to his forces, things were potentially quite dire.

And somehow, Thielbane's name had come up as an asset that could stop such a force before it grew to a strength that would potentially endanger the galaxy (and most importantly, the Eldar race).  Thiel shook his head at the thought.  Whoever thought that he and Y'stral were potential saviors of the galaxy should get their head examined.

Still, he wasn't going to turn down a rather generous amount of resources and also Eldar reinforcements.  Especially if those reinforcements included Glorandria.

Theil smiled at the childhood memory.  Back when he was a youngling, there was a slip of a girl named Glorandria, who followed him around and basically worshiped him.  The last he had heard, she was an aspect warrior of some kind, which surprised Thiel in a way, as he remembered her as more of an artist.  Or was a singer?  It was hard to remember sometimes.  But in any case, it would be good to see an old friend and reminese about better times.  She was probably a Howling Banshee or something like that.  Glory did have the figure to fill out one of those suits.

He looked up as the Webway Portal shimmered, and out walked a quintet of Fire Warriors.  They waited for a few more moments, but then the portal closed.  Thielbane raised an eyebrow.  Where were the Guardians?  The Howling Banshees?  The Falcons?  The Fire Prisms?  Surely the Craftworld didn't think that he could do all of the mission with just five more Eldar?  What had Glory gotten herself into?

Y'stral cackled, "Oh, oh, yes.  Thiel, you have really outdone yourself this time.  Couldn't you have gotten something useful?"

The Exarch leading the Fire Dragons strode forwards, easily a full head taller than Y'stral and Thielbane.

"Silence," intoned the Exarch, "We are here on Craftworld business, in the service of Khaine himself.  We do not need your bothersome words."

Thielbane felt his eyes almost pop out of his head.  That voice...  It couldn't be!

"G... Glory?"

Y'stral looked at Thielbane and then back at the Exarch.  He then laughed again, holding his sides as he almost rolled on the ground.

"Oh, oh, Khaine's blue balls, Thiel, is this one of your ex-rutting partners?  I mean, you really did get around.  Did you try to complete the whole set or..."

Y'stral heard a hissing sound and saw a Fusion Gun pointed inches from his face.  The Archon frowned, snarled, and pulled out his Huskblade.

"Oh, just try it.  I had my Shadow Field fixed up before we walked in.  You'll be ash before you even get to pull the trigger you simpering..."

"Excuse me!"

The Exarch and Archon both looked at Thielbane, who had carefully positioned himself to the side, just out of swinging and shooting range of both parties.

"I believe we are all here for the same reason.  I, uh, apologize Gloriana.  I didn't... expect to see you like this."

The Exarch nodded gravely, "Times change.  People change."

Thielbane nodded in agreement, "Yes, perhaps we could talk later about..."

Gloriana turned, breaking away from the conversation, "I am an Exarch now, Farseer.  I have no need or time for such things.  Summon us when you require the destructive fury of Khaine."

The Fire Dragons walked away, leaving Y'stral and Thielbane alone again.

"I tell you, Thiel, that Exarch is walking a very thin line.  A line filled with Huskblade.  You know what I'm saying?" snarled Y'stral.

Thielbane nodded.  Glory, he thought, what happened to you?  And, more importantly, how are we going to take out a Tomb World with just five more Eldar?

---------------------

Pre-Game Thoughts:  Well, this is going to be a tough game.  Barges and Scythes, oh my.  With Wraiths no doubt to give me trouble.  Still, it's only THREE Barges and THREE Scythes.  It's not like they're the most durable units in the game right now...
And they have a load of firepower, and every unit is dangerous to my army.
The Orks are also going to be painful, as I don't really know how to get them off an objective, as there's no way I can shoot that many of them, and assault is going to be hairy as it is...

----------------------------

Setup: Vanguard (Night Fight ON)
Mission: Scouring (6 variable objectives, FA score)
Warlord: Y'stral: Opponent gets -1 to reserves, Overlord: Can turn Night Fight on...
Combat Drugs: +1 Attack (hmm...)

------------

To be Continued.
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Cammerz

Great start to the report BT, its good to see a character from Thiel's past, she should add a new angle to the story and perhaps as a recurring character she'll advance the plot in new, interesting ways. Regardless, I'm looking forward to reading more about her.
I think Thiel might be almost taking over from Vasily with all of this female trouble, but with the added bonus of being trapped between Farseer and Pirate.

As for the battle itself, that does look like it might be annoying but if you can focus your fire on the Orks early on then you might clear the board before too many flyers show up, and your Voidraven and Quad Gun can mop up the rest.
Good luck with this one (he says despite knowing that the battle probably took place some weeks prior to this battle report being created). Looking forward to it.

Arguleon-veq

Looks like it should be a fun game, its a pretty tough list but I dont know why he is taking any Orks at all rather than more Necrons. I think your Ravagers deal with the Barges quite handily and thanks to the Fire Dragons you should kill a Flyer the second it hits the table, so you should get 2 with that if he gets 2 in second turn and the other later on. Leaving your Raven to kill the last.

I think the only real threat to your list is those wraiths but if you deal with the Barges early enough you can at least be putting all that S8 into them which should do the job.

Your list is shaping up well, tank hunters give a huge boost to that quadgun.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on December 29, 2012, 07:47:33 PM
Looks like it should be a fun game, its a pretty tough list but I dont know why he is taking any Orks at all rather than more Necrons. I think your Ravagers deal with the Barges quite handily and thanks to the Fire Dragons you should kill a Flyer the second it hits the table, so you should get 2 with that if he gets 2 in second turn and the other later on. Leaving your Raven to kill the last.

I think the only real threat to your list is those wraiths but if you deal with the Barges early enough you can at least be putting all that S8 into them which should do the job.

I was thinking about the same thing when I saw the list as well. Not to mention that with the voidraven, you will be killing a number of orks as well and be Dr. Feelgood. Of course, that saying this is very theoretical and thus may warrant a revision once we see that battle report running.

BigToof

Thank you all for the very kind comments!

Quote from: Cammerz on December 29, 2012, 04:57:59 PM
Great start to the report BT, its good to see a character from Thiel's past, she should add a new angle to the story and perhaps as a recurring character she'll advance the plot in new, interesting ways. Regardless, I'm looking forward to reading more about her.
I think Thiel might be almost taking over from Vasily with all of this female trouble, but with the added bonus of being trapped between Farseer and Pirate.

As for the battle itself, that does look like it might be annoying but if you can focus your fire on the Orks early on then you might clear the board before too many flyers show up, and your Voidraven and Quad Gun can mop up the rest.
Good luck with this one (he says despite knowing that the battle probably took place some weeks prior to this battle report being created). Looking forward to it.

Hi Cammerz!
Yes, Glory is turning out to be an interesting character, as she certainly knows how to push Thiel's buttons even if it isn't on purpose.  Perhaps Thiel is biting off more than he should...
The Quadgun certainly put in good work, hope you like it's impression.
Let me know how you like the rest of the rep!

Hmm... well, I must say that the Orks were there mostly due to the fact that there are a lot of Khorne Lords on Juggernauts that have come around recently, and my opponent has been tabled a few times  before his fancy Scythes can get on the board.  So, he's been using the Orks as cheap table holders until the real workers can go to town.

Thanks btw for the suggestion on the Fire Dragons.  They did SO much better in this game.

Let me know if you spot anything out of the works or if I should have done something different.  I always feel like things could have been done better...

Quote from: crisis_vyper on December 30, 2012, 06:09:09 AM

I was thinking about the same thing when I saw the list as well. Not to mention that with the voidraven, you will be killing a number of orks as well and be Dr. Feelgood. Of course, that saying this is very theoretical and thus may warrant a revision once we see that battle report running.

Ah!  Crisis is back!

Great to see you again, and I hope you like this rep.  The Fire Dragons put in great work and I must say that even though they are quite pricey (it's about 200 pts for ADL and the Dragons), they do solid, solid work.  Let me know what you think of the rep!
My opponent didn't have a lot of experience with Eldar, and I think it shows, as he tried to push me around, much to his dismay, as the Eldar still have teeth (even if they are more than slightly overcosted...).

-----------------------
Now onto the rep!
-----------------------
Setup: This game decided to play a bit fair, with a big ruin on either side, a few patches of small ruins to the left and right and a decent amount of trees.
Most telling that we were both mostly shooty armies was the very large patch of killing ground in the middle of the board.  Oh, and I put my ADL about 6" from the deployment line, with Quadgun roughly in the middle.

Once that was all placed, objectives went down.  I tried to space them out towards the back, but once again, the fates seemed to conspire against me, and my objectives were more towards teh center, with the Necron three objectives more spread out to their side of the board.  Values flipped up, with mine being 4, 2, 2 and the 'Crons picking up 1, 3, 3.  So... pretty much fair all things considered.

The Necrons win choice to deploy (ick) and decide to take first turn.  My opponent jokes that I can't concede at this point, but deploys pretty handy in the center.  All three barges in the center with the Wraiths to the left and Warboss horde behind them.  All flyers in reserve of course.

I decide that I do not like the horde of 24" S7 weaponry that is potentially going to getting rammed down my throat, so deploy to the left with all four of my boats, with the Archon's Wych-Raider to the far left and the Ravagers more towards the center.  The Reavers went to the right with the Farseer.  And the Fire Dragons end up manning the Quadgun.  VRB in reserve as with the Eldar Jetbikes.

I, once again, fail to seize.  (sigh)

Picture Caption: Man... This is going to be rough.

---------------
Turn 1: Necrons
---------------
"Glory, yes, I know it's a Mon-Keigh device, but please, we don't have time before they're all over us."

Exarch Glorandria narrowed her eyes at the "Quadgun" that Thielbane had procured for her.  She could practically smell the stench of ignorance and failure on it.

"Farseer, it is not Eldar made.  I do not trust it."

Thielbane rolled his eyes.  Glory had been putting up a fight ever since they had snuck into the Necron base.  Luckily, mind-controlled Orks are even less observant than normal Orks, which meant that the Eldar were able to infiltrate in Webway Portals with little difficulty.  The only problem was shutting down the operation without getting them all killed.

As far as he could tell, Thielbane noted that the Necron technology required the use of a number of large glowing Pylons that were scattered throughout the planet.  A sextet of very large devices were in their main base, and it didn't take a xenology expert to figure out that they were somehow more important than the others.  All they had to do was destroy them and hopefully...

"Thiel?  I'm getting bored.  We killed all these brain-dead Orks.  It gets more rewarding than this, right?"

Thielbane looked up to see Archon Y'stral aboard his Raider.  Y'stral was glaring at Glorandria, who didn't seem to care about the virtual mauling that was going through the Archon's mind.  Thielbane sighed.  Why couldn't the Council just leave him alone?  It's not as if he was a hero or something.  Wasn't he supposed to not be a Corsair anymore?  It was as if the Seers couldn't make up their mind.  And if they couldn't, how was he supposed to...

"Farseer!"

Thielbane looked up and saw Gloriana pointing over at greenish glows manifesting throughout the base.

"I believe we have company."

Thielbane nodded.  Well, it looked like his hopes of an easy mission had just gone to the wayside...

-------------------

So, the Necrons all move forwards.  The Barges go into cover, the CCB launches itself forward, staying out of fusion gun range, but trying to get close enough to launch a potential assault.  The Wraiths move to the left to threaten that flank.  And the Orks plod forwards.

Picture Caption: And here they come...

------------------------
Turn 1: Dark Eldar/Eldar
------------------------
The Assimilator steepled his fingers as his Command Barge leapt forwards towards the interlopers that dared to threaten his base.  Many Ork puppets had been lost, but there were tenfold more awaiting assimilation.  He stood from his throne as they neared the interlopers, and his scanners confirmed his suspicions.

Eldar.

Why were they involved?  Clearly, they could not care about the fate of some Orks?  No, he thought, they were trying to steal his power.  They were jealous of what he would would bring about.  But, no matter.  For he was not fighting just for personal glory, but to save the entire universe from its self-induced chaos and self-destructive madess.  Under his rule, all would be equal.  All would be his.
------------------

So... yeah, now it's time to do some damage.

I move Thiel and the Reavers out to the right to threaten the CCB and be within Doom range in case things go pear-shaped.  The Wych Raider zooms out to the right behind the ADL.
The Ravagers slide over into their Ruin.  The Warrior Raider also slides back a bit.

Now to shooting.  The Ravagers open up first, smashing the CCB to the ground with well-placed lances.  The Overlord gets out.  I don't think he's happy.

Scattered lances also glance one of the Annihilation Barges, which Glory then turns into a wreck with her Quadgun.  That was... surprisingly easy.
And the Warriors fire into the Wraiths and take two down.

Picture Caption: Huh, Barges break pretty easy with a Quadgun that re-rolls hits, penetrations and ignores cover...

---------------
Turn 2: Necrons
---------------
Gloriana frowned, waving away some of the foul smelling smoke that issued from the Quadgun.  It was bulky, clumsy, but still servicable.  Much like the gift-giver himself.

"Exarch!  Aircraft!"

Gloriana swiveled the gun to the side, peering into the brightening darkness.  A pair of glowing green lights were quickly growing in size.  She smirked for a moment.  The Necrotyr were coming in fast and without a hint of subtlety.  Very well then, let them feel the destructive wrath of Khaine.  It would teach them not to be so brash.
----------------
So in come a Night Scythe... and a Doom Scythe.

That's not so great.

The Doom Scythe gets ready to hit my Warrior Raider and both Ravagers with it's Doom Ray. 

I... really don't like that.

The Night Scythe gets ready to pepper the Quadgun.
Wraiths move up.  Orks and the Overlord plod forwards.

Then, before shooting can begin, Glory opens up with her Quadgun and knocks the Doom Scythe out of the sky.  I...  I'm a bit stunned as to how easy that was.

The Night Scythe tries to take out the Quadgun, but rolls sort of mediocre and I make the few saves I'm required.  The remaining barge decides to open up on the Fire Dragons instead, taking one down, but not too much else.

Picture Caption: That's... two kills for Glory now.

------------------------
Turn 2: Dark Eldar/Eldar
------------------------
Thielbane squinted in the slowly brightening dawn and let out a sigh of relief when he saw that Glory was still standing.  Those damnable flying ships had raked the Fire Dragons with lightning, but somehow the Aspect Warriors still stood defiant.

Fair enough, he thought.

He turned his attention to the enormous Necron OVerlord, striding towards the Fire Dragons holding their front lines.  They needed something to stop him, otherwise all of their fates might be sealed.

Concentrating, Theilbane twisted and weaved the threads of fate, ensuring that the Necron would fall.  Hopefully, he would fall fast enough.

"Thiel!"

Thielbane looked up to see Archon Y'stral getting out of his Raider.

"Did you put the whammy on the big skeleton?  I need to murderize something!"

Thielbane turned to look at the Overlord, then back at Y'stral, and then at Gloriana.  It wasn't a guarantee, but if it solved two problems with one stone...

"Uh... yes.  Good luck, Y'stral."
------------------------

I pop Doom on the Overlord with Thielbane.

I get the Void Raven and move it right up to the Night Scythe's face.
The Archon and Wyches pop out, getting ready to assault the Overlord before he makes Fire Dragon sandwiches.  Thiel and the Reavers continue to move up the right flank.
The Warrior Raider shifts back again out of easy assault range from the Wraiths.

Shooting has a few more Wraiths get knocked down by poison, but more importantly, the Void Raven knocks down the Night Scythe and the Ravagers take down the Annihilation Barge.

I get my assault off on the Overlord.  Thanks to Doom, the Archon gets to re-roll his wound rolls and a 6 pops up.  The Overlord falls and does not get a chance to get up as the Archon and Wyches spread out to do the macarena all over 3" from the fallen Necron.  And the Archon Soul Traps the Overlord, giving him a nice boost to S6.

Picture Caption: Am I outshooting Necrons?

----------------
Turn 3: Necrons
----------------
Warboss PanzeeWrekka shook his head.  It was like coming out of a dream.  There were Dead 'Eads he was fightin', then he and his ladz got shot up somethin' fierce.

But, now they were standin' up and there were no Dead'Eads.  BUT, there were Panzees. 
And PanzeeWrekka knew what to do with Panzees.

"Form up you lousy runts!  There's Panzees that need Krumpin' and I want a load of those pointy helmets fer me WAARGH! Banna!"
--------------------

The last Night Scythe fails to come in.

The uh... Orks are actually really close to the Wyches and move forwards.

Huh, I did... not pay enough attention to them.

The Wraiths move up to assault the Fire Dragons, although it is a bit far.

The Warlord declares his WAARGH!

The Orks shoot the stuffings out of the Wyches, but thankfully, I make more than a few FNP saves, and lose a little less than half the squad.

The Wraiths fail assault, but the Orks do not!

They assault in, and I challenge with the Archon.  The Warboss accepts, but is cut down by the Archon.  Unfortunately, this doesn't help the Wyches very much, and I'm down to just a few, even though we do give some hits back.  In the end, we're looking at about 20-odd Orks still left.  Both parties are fearless at this point, so we stay stuck in.  Still, I get to pump the Archon up to S10  :)  But the Archon loses his Shadow Field! :(

Oh, and the ex-Night Scythe wandering Warriors and their Cryptek come off the back edge to the left, settling down next to their 1 point objective...

Picture Caption: Wow, being outnumbered 5:1 is really, really not good at all.

------------------------
Turn 3: Dark Eldar/Eldar
------------------------
"Uh, Captain?  Should we charge the Orks?  I think they're winning."

Thielbane looked over at the worried face of Arena Champion Starsparkle.  The young Eldar was already half-pressing the accelerator of her Jetbike.  He thought for a moment and looked out at the debacle that had once been a perfectly orchestrated assault.  How was he to know that the Orks would snap out of their mental reverie and run right into Y'stral and his Wyches?

It was clear that the Orks would smash all of the Dark Eldar soon.

That is, unless someone did something about it.

An Eldar Farseer, he mentally noted, would cut his losses and pull back.  It was the smart thing, the clever thing to do.  After all, why risk one's own life for just some disposable catspaw?

But, then again, the Corsair approach was far more rewarding...

"Sky Ponies?" he said with a familiar grin, "Let's.  Get.  Dangerous."
-----------------------

I doom the Orks :)

Everyone moves over to shoot the stuffing out of the Wraiths.  Thielbane and the Reavers move up to the really big scrum in the middle of the board.

Shooting has the Warriors, Fire Dragons, and Ravagers just blow the Wraiths off the board.  The Void Raven moves towards the Warriors and knocks a few down.  They stay.
And the Reavers and Farseer go into the big fight!

The Reavers do exceptionally well (4 attacks each with re-rollable wounds?  I'll take that!), and after all the blood is on the ground, only about 5 Orks are left, who don't do very much before they are run down.

Picture Caption: Huh, is this going to be a rout?

----------------
Turn 4: Necrons
----------------
The last Night Scythe comes in and deposits its Warriors right next to the Archon.  My opponent shakes his head and tells me he just wants to earn some VPs for this mission.

Glory then shreds the Night Scythe with her Quadgun for her third big kill of the game.

The Warriors fire into the Archon, but I pass almost all of the Look out Sir rolls, and in the end, I'm left with the Archon hanging on a single wound... and Allonia looking very sheepish.

Picture Caption: That's... three for three, Glory.  I think you've done enough.

------------------------
Turn 4: Dark Eldar/Eldar
------------------------
I doom the newly dropped off Warriors.
The Void Raven goes over the last few Warriors and drops it's Void Mine, sending them off the board.

Everything shoots into the Warriors, downing them all, but the Cryptek gets back up.

So...  I assault with the Reavers, Thiel absorbing the last shot with his 3+ save before the Cryptek gets sliced to pieces.

Picture Caption: And that's all she wrote.

---------------------------------
Result: Dark Eldar/Eldar Victory!
---------------------------------

Post-Game Thoughts: Wow, this game was a wipeout.  I think it may be in part that my opponent doesn't get to play that much Dark Eldar or Eldar and certainly was not prepared for the onslaught that was the Fire Dragon Quadgun.  But, then again, neither was I.

Glory and her Dragons were clearly the MVP of this game, as it made the Scythes almost laughable, with them exploding the moment they came on the board.  They also dealt with the Barge pretty easy as soon as it lost its Quantum Shielding.

The Archon was also pretty good this game, although he almost bought it, although the Wyches were good with their Look Out Sir rolls to keep him alive.

Thiel was also great as a Doom-Seer as he really turned that last Ork fight, which could have gone really diasterously otherwise.

Warriors and Ravagers still put in good work, and the Bomber also did decently.

I...  I almost feel bad about how this went down.  I know it sort of traumatised my opponent as he declared that Eldar are "OP."  :)

----------------------------------

"Nice work, Glory.  Those Necrotyr didn't know what them."

Gloriana turned to see Farseer Thielbane gliding up on his Jetbike.  He smiled politely at her and added, "I guess it's not that bad of a gun after all?"

The Exarch simply shrugged and replied, "It is a poor artisan that blames her tools."

"Speaking of which," Thielbane continued, "I'm surprised to see that you're a Fire Dragon.  I thought you were going down the artist path."

Gloriana stood completely silent and unmoving for what seemed like an eternity.  Thielbane was about to try and peek into her mind, just to make sure that she hadn't passed out, when she spoke.

"That Gloriana is no more.  You destroyed her."

She turned to walk away, when Thielbane leaped into her path.

"Now wait a second, you can't just leave a conversation like that.  I haven't seen you for years and then suddenly you...  Well, you changed.  What did happen?"

Gloriana again paused and replied, "Are you ordering me as a Farseer?"

Thielbane sat back on his Jetbike.  Things were touchy indeed.

"Well... if that's what it will take, Glory, then yes, yes I am."

The Exarch nodded, "Very well, as by your order, I will disclose what happened to Gloriana.  She was an artisan, a sculptor.  I take it you remember that?"

Thielbane slowly nodded in return.  Things didn't seem to be starting very well.

Gloriana continued, "When you left for your Path as an Outcast, you were fulfilling your dream.  When you and Gloriana were young, you often talked of your hopes.  You wanted to be a Corsair and have dashing adventures.  She wanted to be an artist of renown.  I suppose you both got what you wanted. 

When you left, you promised you would return.  So, elated by the thought, Gloriana made her masterpiece.  A life-sized sculpture of an Eldar woman dancing with a Corsair.  Both were masked, and highly lauded by all who saw it.  But, that, in a way, was it's own downfall.  When you failed to return, Gloriana lost hope.  Her next projects were shadows of The Corsair and The Lady.  Everything she did was compared and derided to her magnum opus.  So, all she did, all she was asked to do, was to make copies of The Corsair and The Lady.  Again, and again, and again.  Corsairs.  Ladies.  One after the other for years. 

And then you returned, but not as a Corsair to fulfill your promise.  But you went down the Path of the Seer.  Everyone thought it was the proper and mature thing to do.  But Gloriana did not see it that way.  She saw it as a betrayal of the heart and it was then that she found her way. 

For it was that day she took fire and flame to her workshop and burned it all.  No more Corsairs.  No more Ladies.  Just destruction.  The next day, she walked the Path of the Fire Dragon.  And soon, she was no more."

Thielbane whet his lips and said, "Would it help to say that I'm sorry?"

Gloriana paused, then shrugged, "It would not me to whom you should be sorry.  But she who deserves your pity is long since dead.  And for whatever reason you need to..."

And that was when Thielbane kissed her in mid-sentence.

There was a few moments of shock and surprise, and then Gloriana shoved him away, a confused and exasperated look on her face.

"What are you doing?  You are a Farseer.  I serve under your guidance, but this is...  This is improper."

Turning on her heel, Gloriana sprinted away.

Thielbane shook his head, thought for a few more moments and was about to follow her when he heard a shout.

"Thiel!  Stay right there!"

He turned to see Archon Y'stral storming towards him, covered with blood and bruises.

"Y'stral... Uh...  I can explain..."

Y'stral ran up, drew his Huskblade... and then whipped it around, laughing maniacally.

"Oh, oh, Thiel, how long have you been holding that back?  I mean, a big Necron and an Ork Warboss?  That was... that was great!"

Thielbane frowned in confusion, "So... you're not mad?"

"Mad?  Thiel, I had a full day of murdering.  So what if my Shadow Field screwed up again and I got some Wych gore on me?  I haven't felt like this in years!  Now, let's go live it up!  I think I have one Wych who doesn't need limbs glued back on.  You can work her out.  It's that... uh...  Ariana girl, I think."

"Allonia."

"Yeah, whatever.  If you want to, you can even invite that Exarch babe of yours.  We could have a full blown orgy.  I'll even put up some Splintermind to liven things up."

Thielbane felt his inner Corsair cheer at the thought, but far more serious matters were on his mind.

"I'm... sorry, Y'stral, but not today.  I have things I need to think of.  Complicated things."

Y'stral shrugged, "Sure, sure, Thiel, just don't take too long.  But, I just gotta say, Thiel, it's good having you back."

Thielbane raised an eyebrow.

The Archon grinned, "I thought you had gone all stuffy, but you haven't.  Good work outfoxing all those other Craftworlders.  Don't worry, you're one of us, Thiel.  You deserve to be."

The Farseer nodded woodenly.  Perhaps he did, he thought to himself.  Perhaps he did at that...
-----------------------
BigToof Points:

Railgun Convention

Looks like I should get that Aegis line I bought up and running - that was spectacular!

And I can't help but draw parallels between Y'stral, and Full Metal Alchemist's Greed. Watch out, he might want to start ruling the galaxy :P
So how many crashes have I survived now?

Arguleon-veq

Great report and very funny to see a Necron player saying Eldar are OP.

When I've been thinking of how to deal with Necrons I keep coming back to DE/Eldar;
- Ravagers for the Barges with little to no chance of return fire with night shields.
- Poison spam to deal with the usual 15+ wraiths.
- FD Quadgun to deal with the flyers.

What worries me though is that if the Cron player gets any more than 1 flyer in on turn 2 then it should deal with the Quadgun which then clean up the army pretty handily as night shields are innefective against them. Im also not sure if I could get enough poison in to deal with 15+ wraiths [usually 17-18] led by Destroyer Lords with 2+ saves. The FAQ for mixed saves and look out sir now means that the lord can happily take the wounds 1 at a time untill he is down to his last wound and then start to pass them on so you dont even get to kill him.

With regards to this battle were the Barges not within 36'' turn 1? The problem with barges is that it doesnt really blunt their effectiveness too much when they have to snap shot so they can just steam up 12'' and make for an effective 36'' range and still average about 3 S7 + a S6 hit. If they are placed at the edge of their depo zone sometimes its impossible to avoid them turn 1 if your not deploying second. With that in mind I would try and find the points for some night shields on your DE skimmers.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

crisis_vyper

Quote from: BigToof on December 31, 2012, 04:44:56 PM

Ah!  Crisis is back!

Great to see you again, and I hope you like this rep.  The Fire Dragons put in great work and I must say that even though they are quite pricey (it's about 200 pts for ADL and the Dragons), they do solid, solid work.  Let me know what you think of the rep!
My opponent didn't have a lot of experience with Eldar, and I think it shows, as he tried to push me around, much to his dismay, as the Eldar still have teeth (even if they are more than slightly overcosted...).

Well I am sure I am going to enjoy this. ;)

Post-Game Thoughts: Wow, this game was a wipeout.  I think it may be in part that my opponent doesn't get to play that much Dark Eldar or Eldar and certainly was not prepared for the onslaught that was the Fire Dragon Quadgun.  But, then again, neither was I.

Glory and her Dragons were clearly the MVP of this game, as it made the Scythes almost laughable, with them exploding the moment they came on the board.  They also dealt with the Barge pretty easy as soon as it lost its Quantum Shielding.

The Archon was also pretty good this game, although he almost bought it, although the Wyches were good with their Look Out Sir rolls to keep him alive.

Thiel was also great as a Doom-Seer as he really turned that last Ork fight, which could have gone really diasterously otherwise.

I...  I almost feel bad about how this went down.  I know it sort of traumatised my opponent as he declared that Eldar are "OP."  :)

Eldar OP?  :facepalm001:

I am also finding the Archon with the Huskblade more powerful and also fun at the same time. When you get your Archon to Str10 it means that you had the game in your hands already.

Dragons are something nasty, but most people do not know of it. Only those that really read the book really knows their hidden potential, or to be exact the Exarch's potential.

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on December 31, 2012, 07:48:14 PM

When I've been thinking of how to deal with Necrons I keep coming back to DE/Eldar;
- Ravagers for the Barges with little to no chance of return fire with night shields.

What worries me though is that if the Cron player gets any more than 1 flyer in on turn 2 then it should deal with the Quadgun which then clean up the army pretty handily as night shields are innefective against them. Im also not sure if I could get enough poison in to deal with 15+ wraiths [usually 17-18] led by Destroyer Lords with 2+ saves. The FAQ for mixed saves and look out sir now means that the lord can happily take the wounds 1 at a time untill he is down to his last wound and then start to pass them on so you dont even get to kill him.

You may need to invest into something that could also shoot in the air, albeit at snapfire with a lot of shots. War Walkers is perhaps one of the better choices here for that kind of thing. In a similar vein this could actually help you with the Wraithwing problem as well.

Not the best answer, but it perhaps could help you with some of the Necron problems.

With regards to this battle were the Barges not within 36'' turn 1? The problem with barges is that it doesnt really blunt their effectiveness too much when they have to snap shot so they can just steam up 12'' and make for an effective 36'' range and still average about 3 S7 + a S6 hit. If they are placed at the edge of their depo zone sometimes its impossible to avoid them turn 1 if your not deploying second. With that in mind I would try and find the points for some night shields on your DE skimmers.

Night Shields are golden. Whenever possible they will be the first vehicle upgrade I would take. It will cause many moans of cheese among your opponents as everyone is now more footslogging than ever and most infantry weapons are within the 24" range.

Cammerz

Firstly, I think its now reached the stage where I think I'd be disappointed if you actually did steal the initiative, I'm not quite sure why but I thinks its a small yet defining aspect of your battle reports.

The fluff is great as usual, I'm liking Thiel's character development and the dialogue he and Glory share. I think the main reason that the DE fluff has become stronger recently was the change to making Thielbane the main character and giving Y'stral the supporting role. Its interesting how this happens in several of you armies, with the leader of the allied faction having the larger share of the fluff, I think the Imperial Guard are the only ones whose general is the main character all the time.

As for the battle itself, that Quad gun really was fantastic, I should probably look at including one in all of my armies (my CSMs have one but currently nobody else). It'll be interesting to see just how aircraft and anti-air develop during this edition. I think its a bit strange for your opponent to call Eldar overpowered after a single match, did he not consider the fact that maybe his own list was the reason for his loss?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how Thiel's fluff advances and reading your next report (whatever army it may use).

Job's a good un! And Happy New Year, hope you have a great 013.M3

BigToof

Quote from: Railgun Convention on December 31, 2012, 06:14:19 PM
Looks like I should get that Aegis line I bought up and running - that was spectacular!

And I can't help but draw parallels between Y'stral, and Full Metal Alchemist's Greed. Watch out, he might want to start ruling the galaxy :P

Hi RC,
Yes, that ADL really did save me there.  I think it's value does decline if you don't have Fire Dragons or some kind of character with special traits, and also as the game goes up in points.  If you 1500 or lower though, I'd recommend at least trying it out.

Y'stral and Greed?  Hmm... I can see that.  Although I must admit sometimes I see connections with Lady D and Lust.

Wait... my mind went to bad places there...

I agree that Crons have the potential to be taken down by a good Eldar/Dark Eldar list, but you need poison to back you up against the Wraiths, especially if with a Destroyer Lord.
My opponent happened to be rolling a bit low with his Tesla, otherwise I would have been in trouble.

As for the barges?  Well, I think my opponent was just out of 12" getting in cover with them, and also wasn't all that eager to shoot first turn as it was Night Fight anyway.  Agree though, that I should keep it in mind otherwise.

I was thinking of getting Night Shields for my Warrior Raider, if only that it will usually be dancing around that 24" hotspot anyway.  With the way wound allocation is going nowadays, I can probably get to the corner/edge of a squad, kill off the 24" mate so there's no chance I'll get shot back by the rest as they'll be outside 24" bolter range (18" with Night Shields).  Not sure where to get the points...  But I'll think of something I'm sure.

Have you ever tried any Eldar Heavy Support?
I actually do want to try out some more Eldar bitz, as they seem to have some hidden bonuses that I've never actually looked into, and maybe might offer some of that hidden goodness that the Dark Eldar sometimes lack.  (Not that there's anything WRONG with tons of poison and Darklight, but it's a bit lacking in subtlety at times).

Quote from: crisis_vyper on January 01, 2013, 12:01:59 AM
Quote from: BigToof on December 31, 2012, 04:44:56 PM

Ah!  Crisis is back!

Well I am sure I am going to enjoy this. ;)

Eldar OP?  :facepalm001:

I am also finding the Archon with the Huskblade more powerful and also fun at the same time. When you get your Archon to Str10 it means that you had the game in your hands already.

Dragons are something nasty, but most people do not know of it. Only those that really read the book really knows their hidden potential, or to be exact the Exarch's potential.

You may need to invest into something that could also shoot in the air, albeit at snapfire with a lot of shots. War Walkers is perhaps one of the better choices here for that kind of thing. In a similar vein this could actually help you with the Wraithwing problem as well.

Not the best answer, but it perhaps could help you with some of the Necron problems.

Night Shields are golden. Whenever possible they will be the first vehicle upgrade I would take. It will cause many moans of cheese among your opponents as everyone is now more footslogging than ever and most infantry weapons are within the 24" range.

Hi Crisis!
I thought that Eldar "OP" thing would either cause face-palming or laughter.  I think it caused the latter with me.
I've really been liking adding more Eldar elements to my Dark Eldar army, as I think it makes it a bit more reliable, rather than flying by the seat of your pants and hoping for the best.  A little less-glass hammer but still deadly as all get out.

Quote from: Cammerz on January 01, 2013, 09:55:47 AM
Firstly, I think its now reached the stage where I think I'd be disappointed if you actually did steal the initiative, I'm not quite sure why but I thinks its a small yet defining aspect of your battle reports.

The fluff is great as usual, I'm liking Thiel's character development and the dialogue he and Glory share. I think the main reason that the DE fluff has become stronger recently was the change to making Thielbane the main character and giving Y'stral the supporting role. Its interesting how this happens in several of you armies, with the leader of the allied faction having the larger share of the fluff, I think the Imperial Guard are the only ones whose general is the main character all the time.

As for the battle itself, that Quad gun really was fantastic, I should probably look at including one in all of my armies (my CSMs have one but currently nobody else). It'll be interesting to see just how aircraft and anti-air develop during this edition. I think its a bit strange for your opponent to call Eldar overpowered after a single match, did he not consider the fact that maybe his own list was the reason for his loss?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how Thiel's fluff advances and reading your next report (whatever army it may use).

Job's a good un! And Happy New Year, hope you have a great 013.M3

Hi Cammerz,
I'm a bit disheartened by the whole never seizing thing sometimes, but still, I have a good win-loss ratio (as long as I'm not running solo Wolves), so I can't complaint too much.

Also glad you like the fluff!  Glory's obviously going to stay around a while, as she offers amazingly reliable anti-flyer, something that my army really lacks.  Plus, you know, she's kind of growing on me.
As for fluff, I'm considering bringing back Bella, Allonia or Star as a more center character.  I'm just not sure which one!

Oh, and Happy 2013 to you too!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Rej

Great report, it was nice to have a solid story line for the DE/E, all they need now are some recurring bad guys! I do like the introduction of the new character Glory, it'll be nice to see how things develop and I love the fact that Y'stral got to go to town! My own Archon chopped through a plague champion and a Chaos Lord last game I played, very satisfying.
Phew...

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Rej on January 03, 2013, 01:07:02 AM
Great report, it was nice to have a solid story line for the DE/E, all they need now are some recurring bad guys! I do like the introduction of the new character Glory, it'll be nice to see how things develop and I love the fact that Y'stral got to go to town! My own Archon chopped through a plague champion and a Chaos Lord last game I played, very satisfying.

I do not even know what my Archon kills anymore, as everyone always send something to become the scapegoat to be eaten by the Archon or they accept the challenge. I only had my Archon dying once to challenges, but most of the time I win. Of course that saying, I only usually deploy the Archon out from his transports for two reasons and two reasons only

1) When I know I can win assault

2) To give my opponent a chance to use their HQs for something heroic (or foolish depending on situation).

Otherwise I tend to always move around the board peppering shots from afar.

Chicop76

Quote from: crisis_vyper on January 03, 2013, 04:05:12 AM

I do not even know what my Archon kills anymore, as everyone always send something to become the scapegoat to be eaten by the Archon or they accept the challenge. I only had my Archon dying once to challenges, but most of the time I win. Of course that saying, I only usually deploy the Archon out from his transports for two reasons and two reasons only

2) To give my opponent a chance to use their HQs for something heroic (or foolish depending on situation).

Archon bad. Before the sister nerf my Cannoness would defeat the Archon. Thanks to the updated sister book they have nothing to deal with the Archon now. Few rmies have anything that can take the Archon out besides turning him into a spawn or squig.

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Chicop76 on January 03, 2013, 06:29:18 AM

Archon bad. Before the sister nerf my Cannoness would defeat the Archon. Thanks to the updated sister book they have nothing to deal with the Archon now. Few rmies have anything that can take the Archon out besides turning him into a spawn or squig.

If we are talking about 4th edition nonsense, then the top three combat monsters are the Daemon Prince/Lord, Archon and the Canoness. This is true in that edition.

For this edition, I am not really sure who are the top dog CC HQs anymore, barring special characters.

BigToof

Thank you all for the kind replies!

Hi Rej,
Glad that you like how things are going!  I feel like things are more structured with Thielbane actually having a point to his activities and I'm glad you like Glory.  The Archon was pretty good this time, it was one of the first times I used the Soul Trap, and I'm really liking it.  I just wished you could use it with normal challenges too, but oh well...

As for recurring villains, the only one that has sprung to mind recently is Malefans, the Slaaneshi Sorcerer with Duumrider in tow.  Sadly enough, nothing epic like Lady D who was just... amazing.  I'll be hard pressed to find another character like her, but there's always hope!  Perhaps I can get a recurring player, but sometimes it's hard as people keep changing their lists and HQs, so it can be a bit hard to find someone who isn't just using Coteaz or some special character all the time...

Hi Chicop,
Yes, I do miss the old days when the Cannoness could get a 2++ invul save, rocking with a +2S power weapon and could even get a jetpack if she wanted.  All that with what basically amounted to a stubborn Ld10 as well.  She really, really was a beast.

Quote from: crisis_vyper on January 03, 2013, 08:03:03 AM

If we are talking about 4th edition nonsense, then the top three combat monsters are the Daemon Prince/Lord, Archon and the Canoness. This is true in that edition.

For this edition, I am not really sure who are the top dog CC HQs anymore, barring special characters.

Hi Crisis,
The Archons are really choppy, but sort of pricey, which is nice, as it keeps you from spending TOO many points, although I find that just the presence of the huskblade often deters assaults, which isn't that bad, as it keeps your Wyches or whatnot alive that much longer.
I've come to realize that Wyches just aren't that effective in putting out wounds.  However, they make a great meat shield/tar pit for your Archon to work with.  For that reason, I always put on a Hekatrix so she can take any challenges that would normally keep the Archon from going to work.
Assault is so hard to work with nowadays, I find myself sometimes just shooting things until they are mostly dead and just getting an assault off turn 4/5 because I feel I just HAVE to.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points: