News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Torrent Shenanigans

Started by Fhanados, December 10, 2012, 01:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fhanados

Hi guys!

I was watching a game between Blood Angels and GK/IG yesterday, both players good friends of mine. A situation arose which made me cry shenanigans, but my complaint was soon dismissed by RAW.

Basically what happened is a Dreadnight armed with a heavy incinerator aimed his template on an almost sidways direction, catching 2 units. I thought this was outrageous!

Reading the rule as RAW, the template must be placed with the pointy end closer than the fat end, but no direction is specified, so this means he done nothing contrary to the rule for the heavy incinerator. Checking the Torrent USR, it was worded exactly the same, meaning Burning Brand, Baleflamer and other uberflamers could do this.

My impression of the rule was that it is intended to extend the range of a template, like Salamanders in WHFB, so to me this goes against RAI.

Has anyone else experienced this, or have any arguments for/against. It just seems wrong to me but I've got nothing to back it up with...

The Man They Call Jayne

He was right in his action. The rules for Template weapons like flamers and suchlike say you have to cover as much of the target unit as possible. So aslong as the fat end is further than than the pointy end, its right, and indeed, required.

It represents the firer using a longer burst of flame and spraying more of the target. It makes the Burning Brand of Skalithrax utterly deadly.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Fhanados

Thanks for clarifying. I can see now why people scream about Helldrakes being OP (although I still disagree with that). I might actually use Burning Brand in a few games. Show those Grey Knight bastards what the servants of the Dark Gods are really capable of!

Chicop76

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on December 10, 2012, 02:44:55 AM
He was right in his action. The rules for Template weapons like flamers and suchlike say you have to cover as much of the target unit as possible. So aslong as the fat end is further than than the pointy end, its right, and indeed, required.

It represents the firer using a longer burst of flame and spraying more of the target. It makes the Burning Brand of Skalithrax utterly deadly.
[/quote

Good thing to know when I decide to use my DreaKnight to flame targets. I learned that the Brand of Skalithrax used on a Nurgle Bike lord is very op when it wounds on 2s and ignores cover and regular saves.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: Chicop76 on December 10, 2012, 11:35:46 PM
Good thing to know when I decide to use my DreaKnight to flame targets. I learned that the Brand of Skalithrax used on a Nurgle Bike lord is very op when it wounds on 2s and ignores cover and regular saves.
Burning Brand is only S4, the only thing it wounds on 2s are Grots or anything that's been Enfeebled.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Chicop76

Quote from: Warmaster Russ on December 11, 2012, 12:46:04 AM
Quote from: Chicop76 on December 10, 2012, 11:35:46 PM
Burning Brand is only S4, the only thing it wounds on 2s are Grots or anything that's been Enfeebled.
[/quote

It wounds on 2s if the Tallyman is being used with enough tallies earned. All ranged and melee weapons wounds on 2s from followers of Nurgle ( icon of Nurgle with 10 tallies). Plus is it's strength is higher or equal to the toughness of it's target it get's to re roll to wound as well.

Arguleon-veq

Yeah thats how it works but I dont think its even against Rules as Intended. The games developers knew full well they would be used like that as thats what they wanted.

As has been said though it does make weapons like  that VERY dangerous. There arent that many though.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33