News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Special Abilities LOS from transports

Started by Fhanados, December 12, 2012, 10:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fhanados

Hello everybody! Once more I come to you with an annoying and probably simple rules question. Can you use special abilities that aren't shooting attacks or witchfire psychic powers while embarked on an open topped transport?

To put this in context I have been fascinated by the concept of a Flayed One themed Necron force. I'll give you a few moments to stop laughing. Ok, now at the head of my force I would like to use a counts-as Zandrek to buff flayed ones, but have him riding in a Ghost Ark with a bunch of warriors, or on a Command Barge.

Is this possible? If not can I get a page reference or what FAQ it's part of? My internet at work is somewhat restricted so I don't have access to the FAQs and can't seem to find anything in the Big Book of USRs.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

On a Command Barge you may be ok as I don't think that's a vehicle per se, on a Ghost Ark I'm not sure.

Models embarked on a transport aren't, technically, there so area effect powers such as Doom of Malan'tai etc cannot affect them. However, as you point out, embarked units can fire from the vehicle. This may mean that whether or not his ability works is down to the wording, if it's area effect I'd be inclined to say no.

However, if there is no definitive answer, allowing the ability to work but using up a fire point may provide a decent compromise. Assuming that there's a Necron transport that isn't open topped that is. :P
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

loeldrad

I know for sure in 5th models inside a vehicle can buff models outside of the vehicle even if the vehicle wasn't open topped and had no fire points. If it had a ranged requirement you measured distance from the hull of the vehicle the caster was in to the target friendly unit. I'm almost positive that didn't change in 6th.

An example of this was Eldrad sitting in a Falcon buffing nearby units with Guide and Fortune. It works as long as the ability didn't require LOS (Guide and Fortune, but no mindwar etc).

Which rule are you looking at? If it's Zahndrekh's Phased Reinforcements or Adaptive Tactics rules they both don't mention a LOS requirement so you'll be fine. The only limitations to those rules are if he's in reserves or not.

Fhanados

I was referring to Adaptive Tactics. I've lost my Necron codex so I was going off memory, but another rule I would like to make use of in a fun game is Anrakyrs machine stealing ability. It would be good fun to pop that from a command barge zooming around. Especially on bloody Vendettas. I hate those things!

Arguleon-veq

You deffo cant steal a vehicle from inside a Barge with him, thats been FAQ'd somewhere. He was in a lot of lists for that exact reason untill it got FAQ'd.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33