News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

1850 Tau list for tournament, advice needed.

Started by Chicop76, May 02, 2013, 09:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicop76

I want to particpate in the tournament this Saturday and been rewriting list a few times. I was bouncing back and forth between daemons and tau. I decided to go for Tau simply due to less upgrading to 6th edition with that army. Also with daemons I have to put 20 models together due to me now using hounds. I will get the Models Friday which means I have one day to put them together.

That said I have taken inputs from several sources and came up with this list. I didn't take devilfish since I can get around without them. I will see if the tournament will wake me up and force me to take them or not. I have been very aggressive with my Tau and been using overwatch when need be. I havn't lost combat yet due to never being in combat.

I drop some marker lights and some marker light accuracy in this list, but I gained 20 strength 7 shots in this re write.

I believe this is a much stronger list than before.

I also drop Interceptor and Skyfire on my riptides. I used Interceptor several times and find in most situations I rather fire in my shooting phase than fire and lose a weapon system during my turn which I can have the aid of marker lights. The skyfire is just a very expensive upgrade. When used I am only firing 3 strength 7 shots at bs 3 which isn't great. Also I find myself using the Riptide more on anti-infantry and tank/ MC than flyers anyway. The skyfire just seems a waste on the Riptides.

I noticed targetlock is a good upgrade for the broadsides. The problem with the sides is you can litterly pour too much fire power in one unit. The twin linked portion makes up enough shots where they basically have skyfire. Interceptor on sides is like having it on riptides. Adding my commander to the unit allows me to ignore cover, and apply tank hunter to the unit. I debated to have twin linked drones. I need to play more games to see if it is worth while doing, so far people focus on my riptides more than my broadsides. However 12 extra strength 7 shots might have that focus fire redirected at them.

With my riptide upgrades I figured the higher over watch bs and drone controller helps with the unit. If assaulted or near an assaulted unit over watch would be nastier. Also the controller will help with better shooting attacks from my drones.

With my pathfinders I dropped my rail guns and took a few more pathfinders. I was gonna do a 10 man and a 5 man squad. However I don't want to overmarker light targets. I figure 17 marker lights should be good enough for now.

1850 Tau

HQ

128 XV-08 Commander
Drone Controller, counterfire defense system
Signiture System: Puretide Engram Neurochip, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite, Neuroweb System Jammer

50 Ethereal

Elites

248 XV104 Riptide: Ion Accelerator, Fusion Counterfire Defence System, Drone Controller
2x Shielded Missile Drones

248 XV104 Riptide: Ion Accelerator, Fusion, Drone Controller, Counter Fire Defence System
2x Shielded Missile Drones

Troops

108 FireWarriors
X12 Shas'La

108 FireWarriors
X12 Shas'La

108 FireWarriors
X12 Shas'La

108 FireWarriors
X12 Shas'La

Fast Attack

55 Pathfinders
X5 Shas'La:

55 Pathfinders
X5 Shas'La

55 Pathfinders
X5 Shas'La

Heavy Support

175 Longstrike Hammerhead: Submunition, Smart Missle System,

116 Sky Ray: Smart Missile, Blacksun Filter

282 XV88 Broadside team
3x Shas'Ui: 3x target: high yield missle
6 x missle drones

Total Points 1846

BlackPowderChocobo

Just to ask, why the Counterfire Defense System?  The only thing I could imagine would be that you'd think the drones would then Overwatch at BS2... but I don't believe that's how it works.  The CDS calls out model for the Overwatch boost, and it'll be a potential argument then that the Commander shares the Overwatch BS with the Drones. 

Personally, I'd at least have 1 Riptide with the EWO for Intercept.  Don't worry about Skyfire, but the ability to slaughter Deepstriking/Droppoding Termies or their ilk before they get to do anything is amazing.  Best part, if you overcharge (or Novacharged if you have done so), the scatter die makes up for the lack of Markerlight accuracy.   Much like the CDS it'd replace, it's situational, but a useful tool and worth keeping on at least one of 'em.  But you are right, skip the Skyfire on 'em. 

Also, I'd keep two of the Broadsides with the HRR for longer range sniping.  The 36" range on the HYMP is too little for my taste.  Also, expect the Broadside/Commander unit to take an Obital Blast/Lascannon Spam to the face.  Maybe Change 2 of the Missile Drones to Shield Drones and place one in front and the other behind the unit for a buffer, just in case. 
I'm sorry Tony the Yodelling Shetland Pony can't sing tonight.  He's a little hoarse.

Chicop76

Quote from: BlackPowderChocobo on May 02, 2013, 10:19:57 PM
Just to ask, why the Counterfire Defense System?  The only thing I could imagine would be that you'd think the drones would then Overwatch at BS2... but I don't believe that's how it works.  The CDS calls out model for the Overwatch boost, and it'll be a potential argument then that the Commander shares the Overwatch BS with the Drones. 

Personally, I'd at least have 1 Riptide with the EWO for Intercept.  Don't worry about Skyfire, but the ability to slaughter Deepstriking/Droppoding Termies or their ilk before they get to do anything is amazing.  Best part, if you overcharge (or Novacharged if you have done so), the scatter die makes up for the lack of Markerlight accuracy.   Much like the CDS it'd replace, it's situational, but a useful tool and worth keeping on at least one of 'em.  But you are right, skip the Skyfire on 'em. 

Also, I'd keep two of the Broadsides with the HRR for longer range sniping.  The 36" range on the HYMP is too little for my taste.  Also, expect the Broadside/Commander unit to take an Obital Blast/Lascannon Spam to the face.  Maybe Change 2 of the Missile Drones to Shield Drones and place one in front and the other behind the unit for a buffer, just in case.

I been pie plating deepstriking terminators like the plaque. The problem is half the time they get cover saves due to shooting through my units. Hince why marker lights denying cover saves is nice, and why I raher wait my turn.

In a way intercepter allows me to kinda split fire where I can drop a pie plate one turn, and than follow up with fusion next turn, but so far it doesn't really seem like it's worth while to do so on the Riptide. Even vs Darkangels deep striking several times behind me, I move my army up so I been geeting deep striked in the rear.

I can take shield drones on my HQ which I thought about doing actually.

What you mean my drones can't overwatch at bs 2. Hmmm if that is so I may have to change my systems up again.

I also thought about dropping my drones and upgrades on my riptides. If I do so than that is another squad of fire warriors easy. I probablly drop the defense systems as well and add some shield drones.

Like I said before my riptides been the ones getting all the focused fire. I place them out in the open giving cover saves to the rest of my army. I either move 4d6, or giving them +3 invulnerable saves depending what I am going against. They do enough damage and present themselves as please shoot me targets that most my army gets flat out ignored. I do see adding 12 strength 7 shots in my broadside unit will get them shot at more now.

The strength 8 rail guns have worked well for me, but the multiple strength 7 is a lot better than I thought it was. I played two games with all high yield and seen a big differance. They can destroy troops and tanks alike. Not to mention 12 twin linked strength 7 MC/ tank hunter shots has done it's dirty deeds more than 3 strength 8 rail guns. I need to convert the models to high yield which may be the only reason I may keep the rail guns.

36" haven't been a problem so far due to everyone been trying to rush me. I haven't played aginst sit back shooty yet. I'm guessing and what I seen in the area I will be rushed, or be playing aginst other Tau armies and maybe on IG. I expect 4 Tau, 2 Deamons, 3 Necrons, 3 Space Wolves, 1 Blood Angel, 2 Dark Angel, 1 Tyranids, and 1 IG. Also 2Daemonhunter armies. Other than the Tau and GreyKnights I expect the other player will try to get in my face instead of sitting back and shooting. Also I advance up with my Tau army instead of sitting back and shooting.

Out of the Tau armies I seen my list runs the most markerlights in the area so far and the most riptides.

Here is what I am thinking now after reading what you said. I added the shield drones and droped more gear than before.

That's

1 crisis suit
1 ethereal
2 riptides
60 firewarriors
15 pathfinders
3 broadsides
8 drone
2 tanks
That brings my model count up to 92.

1850 Tau

HQ

149 XV-08 Commander
Drone Controller,
Signiture System: Puretide Engram Neurochip, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite, Neuroweb System Jammer
2x shield drones

50 Ethereal

Elites

188 XV104 Riptide: Ion Accelerator, Fusion , advanced targeting system

185 XV104 Riptide: Ion Accelerator, Fusion

Troops

108 FireWarriors
X12 Shas'La

108 FireWarriors
X12 Shas'La

108 FireWarriors
X12 Shas'La