News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Help Bringing My Tau Back, 2k List.

Started by Raving Bonkers, April 12, 2013, 09:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raving Bonkers

Hey all. So far I haven't had to much chance to play 6th games, with just half a dozen under my belt. Now with the new Tau release I have regained my motivation to pick up my paints once more as they were my first army I ever collected. Yet looking at the options I feel overwhelmed, along with the unnerving feeling that I will fail to round out my army.

So trying to make it rounded, but fun also as the list will be focused on a lot of story around Shas'O Va're'x. A character I wrote a lot of story for in my Batreps a long time ago.

Original Post
HQ UNITS

Commander with
Cyclic Ion Blaster
Fusion Blaster
Shield Generator
Iridium Battle Suit
Repulsor Impact Field
So I tried to make him as much like he use to be.
Same weapons, which seem to have improved since the last codex if I remember correctly.
Iridium Suit, as he had Iridium before and again, has this gotten better? I believe it use to have a downside?
Repulsor Impact Field simply because in our campaign games we went a lot for fun and glory and Mr Shas'O here found himself getting into fisty cuffs quite often. It seemed like a good boost to give him when used in such a way.
Now this makes him quite expensive which is why I have not used up the 4th slot just yet.

TROOP UNITS

Fire Warrior Team
12 x Fire Warrior

Fire Warrior Team
12 x Fire Warrior

Need two units which is why these are here. Prefer these over Kroot, for personal tastes. Possibly thinking about using devilfish tooled up slightly to help in a supporting role to the whole army, thus giving my Fire Warriors more options. And could drop two guys and take two marker drones, along with marker light on a shas'ui.

FAST ATACK UNITS

XV-9 Hazard Team
3 x XV-9 Hazard Suits

So one of the guys in our group is going all out on making a forgeworld, pre-heresy lunar wolves army. This means forgeworld are good to use. I have always loved the look of these models. The question is, do I keep them with the 6 strength 5 AP 5 shots with re-rolls to hit. Or swap out for 8 strength 4 AP 4 shots with rending?

Also what rules do they get. Their type is Jump Infantry (Jet Pack). Does this mean they get the 12" move and other Jump rules along with the Jet Pack rules like relentless and Thrust Move?

HEAVY UNITS

Sniper Drone Team
3 x Firelight Marksman
9 x Sniper Drone
Looking at these guys I love them. With their rapid fire and being able to fire at BS 5. That's 18 sniper shots at 24". Primarily character hunting or taking down MCs, but also rending against models with a 2+ save.

Sky Ray Missile Defence Gunship
With TL Smart Missile System
Simply seems like an effective anti flier unit. That can also support the rest of the army more and use its own markerlights. Are their any vehicle upgrades that should be taken along with it?

This leaves me one last Heavy Slot. Previously it would have been broadsides. Now I cannot decide between the hammerhead or the broadsides, but I must have one or the other.
Hammerhead, railgun for obvious reasons. Also means my sky ray isn't the only vehicle sat their asking for trouble.
Broadsides. Not as high strength but twin linked and still AP 1.

So Commander, 2 Fire Warrior Teams, XV9's, Snipers and Sky Ray, for less than 1000 points. I move to elites and I get stuck. I need suits. I like the Stealth teams so was thinking a single unit of them. 6 burst cannons, but then their range is so short. So was looking more at maybe 2 Riptides for their pure awesome looks, and possibilities. Then a full unit of XV8's, each suit with two marker drones. But what weapons and support should i use?

If I go with those options I think I would also be able to get a bodyguard team on my Commander.

So I know I only have half a list done, but I could really do with some suggestions for my suits gear and which heavy support to take.

Up to date list
HQ UNITS

Commander - 175
Cyclic Ion Blaster
Fusion Blaster
Shield Generator
Iridium Battle Suit
Repulsor Impact Field
Body Guard Team – 172
2 x Crisis Bodyguard Suits
2 x Fusion Blaster
2 x Plasma Rifle
2 x Marker Drone
2 x Shield Drone

ELITE UNITS

XV8 Crisis Team – 168
3 x Crisis Suits
3 x Burst Cannon
3 x Plasma Rifle
3 x Fusion Blaster
1 x Marker Drone

X104 Riptide – 188
TL Plasma Rifles
Ion Accelerator
Advanced Targeting System

X104 Riptide – 188
TL Plasma Rifles
Ion Accelerator
Advanced Targeting System

TROOP UNITS

Fire Warrior Team - 72
8 x Fire Warrior

Fire Warrior Team - 72
8 x Fire Warrior

Fire Warrior Team - 72
8 x Fire Warrior

Fire Warrior Team - 72
8 x Fire Warrior

FAST ATACK UNITS

XV-9 Hazard Team - 225
3 x XV-9 Hazard Suits

Drone Squadron – 56
4 x Marker Drone

Drone Squadron – 56
4 x Marker Drone

HEAVY UNITS

Sniper Drone Team – 174
3 x Firesight Marksman
9 x Sniper Drone

XV88 Broadside Team – 180
2 x Broadside Suits
2 x TL High-yield Missile Pods
2 x TL Plasma Rifles
2 x Velocity Tracker

Hammerhead Gunship – 130
Submunition Rounds
TL Smart Missile System

Cheers,
RB

The Man They Call Jayne

I think one of our new must haves is the Nueroweb Systems Jammer.

I would drop the Skyray and use a couple of Missilesides with Velocity Trackers as your AA unit. Then you can use your 3rs HS slot for anything you like. Ionhead with Longstrike perfoms well.

Fusion Blasters are our best AT now, so use them where you can.

As for firewarriors, I tend to run squads of 8, running around as 3 groups supporting each other, usually with a basic Ethereal for the Invocation of the Elements ability.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Raving Bonkers

Thanks for that Jayne. I updated my list.

Kept my Commander as is, but now with bodyguards to keep him alive longer, plus shield drones to keep them alive a little longer. Marker Drones as they are useful.

Crisis Team and not to expensive, just geared to play in as many supporting roles as possible. Marker Drone as had sum points left over.

Riptides, love the guns and the looks. The ATS came about as I had 6 points left at the end. Then saw that the Ion Accelerator, between the two of them, could get 1 precision shot per turn.

Took your advice on the lower squad numbers and fitted another unit in there as thought 4 troops at 2k is safer. No buffs to these guys though, hoping that with everything else going on, their long range, high strength basic weapons will be slightly over looked.

Hazards...well, 18 Twin Linked Bust Cannon shots, Defensive Grenades...and they look awesome.

Drone Squadrons. Wanted something a bit different for my list. Had points available still and the majority of the list sorted. These seem like they will be a low priority target, but with a good enough toughness and save that they won't just be leaving the table top when someone sneezes.

Sniper Drones. Love the idea of them, like their models. Love their weapon stats. Character and MC hunting. High volume of fire at 24" and rending.

Now I'm still stuck though. The Broadsides and Hammerhead seem like units I need to round off the list. Yet they both just feel out of place with this list. So was thinking lose them both. There is already a bit of fusion kicking around. Then get Velocity Tracker and Shielded Missile Drones on both Riptides for just a little more than what the Hammerhead cost. This would leave me with 170 points.

Or could get a Fireblade in to a unit of Fire Warriors and upgrade all the troops to have Shas'ui with Markers and drones? Or perhaps combine my drone squadrons and the get 4 Piranhas for some fun and change to the list, 1 toting another Fusion Blaster?