News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Crisis weapons and Twin Linking and new FAQ.

Started by The Man They Call Jayne, April 24, 2013, 03:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man They Call Jayne

If I am reading this correctly:

Q: Can I take three of the same (not Twin-linked) weapons on my
Crisis suit? (p100)
A: Yes. Remember though that a Crisis battlesuit can still only
fire a maximum of two weapon systems per Shooting phase.
For example: A Crisis battlesuit could be equipped with three
(non Twin-linked) burst cannons, or one Twin-linked burst
cannon and one (non Twin-linked) burst cannon, so long as
you pay the appropriate cost in each instance. In either case,
make sure your opponent is aware how you have chosen to
equip such models at the beginning of the game.

It seems to be saying that you can decide, when equipping your suits, if the weapons on it are Twin Linked or not.

So I could take a TL Fusion Blaster for the TL cost in the codex, or two SINGLE Fusion Blasters for Single Cost x2.

If thats so then it radically changes the weapon load outs that I am likely to take.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

BlackPowderChocobo

Oh hells yes!

It's still situational (and frighteningly expensive with some weapons), but still, zomg.

This drastically changes my suicide suit drops, even if it will cost a bit more now.  Debating between a TL FB and a FB or 2 FB and a Flamer.  Same cost for both, but the second provides slightly better versatility in case of deep strike mishaps. 

Thanks for the notice Mr. Jayne; didn't notice that part since the file name was the same. 
I'm sorry Tony the Yodelling Shetland Pony can't sing tonight.  He's a little hoarse.

The Man They Call Jayne

I'm am thinking 2 Flamers (hearby referred to as the Death Valley configuration) instead of the standard Heatwave. 6 Flamers will make a mess of anything. Massed Plasma is going to be equally devastating.

KCKitsune

Forget about two plasma rifles... two missile pods.  4 non-TL reaper autocannon shots per suit!  Add in counter fire and it costs almost 6 fire warriors.

Here's an evil loadout for your commander: 2 plasma rifles, shield generator, VRT, Iridium armor, Puretide engram chip, Oranger gauntlet, and Repulsor Impact Field.  Cost: 2 points shy of twenty-two firewarriors (new codex cost)
From the Makers of Lemon Flavored Kitten souls, comes the newest in Taste Sensations... Mutant Evil Sauce(tm)*!

Mutant Evil Sauce is Good(tm) on EVERYTHING

* == Evil Snacks Inc is not responsible for any uncontrolled outbreaks of flesh eating zombies

The Man They Call Jayne

Well worth it though. Added mobility, better Toughness and Save, and it makes up for the average accuracy.

BlackPowderChocobo

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on April 24, 2013, 04:49:11 PM
I'm am thinking 2 Flamers (hearby referred to as the Death Valley configuration) instead of the standard Heatwave. 6 Flamers will make a mess of anything. Massed Plasma is going to be equally devastating.

Death Valley is an interesting choice, but I think Inferno is a more generic name that still gets the fiery death point across (alas, if only Tau had heavy flamers...)
I'm sorry Tony the Yodelling Shetland Pony can't sing tonight.  He's a little hoarse.

The Man They Call Jayne

I went with Death Valley because Heatwave suggests great heat, but not fire by default. Death Valley is one big heatwave. There is madness in my method :P

knightperson

Quote from: KCKitsune on April 24, 2013, 05:05:44 PM
Forget about two plasma rifles... two missile pods.  4 non-TL reaper autocannon shots per suit!  Add in counter fire and it costs almost 6 fire warriors.

Here's an evil loadout for your commander: 2 plasma rifles, shield generator, VRT, Iridium armor, Puretide engram chip, Oranger gauntlet, and Repulsor Impact Field.  Cost: 2 points shy of twenty-two firewarriors (new codex cost)

Keep in mind that somewhere in the fine print it states that a model firing overwatch may fire ONE weapon. The built-in multitrackers don't help. So the twin-linked burst cannon will be more effective in overwatch / supporting fire than the pair of single-linked ones. Of course, you could just kit out the suit with one of each and use the twin-linked one for overwatch.

I think this is going to be most useful with flamers, but the suicide-deep-strike-tank-killer suit (really need a better name for that) would definitely benefit from double fusion blasters. For the other weapon combinations, I'm not sure. Double weapons are significantly more expensive than twin-linked ones, and I'm not sure it's always worth it. I'll throw some mathhammer at it later, but I'm pretty sure you're better off with the double weapons than twin-linked ones on BS5 commander suits, but not necessarily on the regular ones.
Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.

The Man They Call Jayne

Novaforge. Its a Sunforge with more kick :P

While the cost is higher, I think it would be worth it. The effect of 12 Plasma shots at 18" (taking into account movement) at a potentially high BS is too great to ignore. And the sheer number of shots make up for the average BS. 6 out of 12 instead of 4 out of 6. But you CAN if you were lucky score far more. Quantity is a quality of its own here.

KCKitsune

Quote from: knightperson on April 24, 2013, 11:42:48 PM
Quote from: KCKitsune on April 24, 2013, 05:05:44 PM

Keep in mind that somewhere in the fine print it states that a model firing overwatch may fire ONE weapon. The built-in multitrackers don't help. So the twin-linked burst cannon will be more effective in overwatch / supporting fire than the pair of single-linked ones. Of course, you could just kit out the suit with one of each and use the twin-linked one for overwatch.

If what you're shooting at dies horribly, then you don't NEED overwatch.

I mean think about this Knight, with 2 markerlight hits, a squad with twin plasma rifles in rapid fire range will have 12 shots that hit on 2's, wound on 2's and allow no save.  That is a marine squad... hell that's most of a TERMINATOR squad.

EDIT: Also, where does it say that you can only fire one weapon? 

I'm looking at the rule book right now and it doesn't say anything about only one weapon.  It says that overwatch follows all the rules for normal shooting.  I even checked out the FAQ for the main rule book and it didn't say anything about it.
From the Makers of Lemon Flavored Kitten souls, comes the newest in Taste Sensations... Mutant Evil Sauce(tm)*!

* == Evil Snacks Inc is not responsible for any uncontrolled outbreaks of flesh eating zombies

knightperson

The important phrase is in the Tau codex. Multitrackers allow a model to "fire an extra weapon each Shooting phase." Since overwatch happens in the assault phase, multitrackers don't apply.
Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.

KCKitsune

Quote from: knightperson on April 25, 2013, 05:29:46 AM
The important phrase is in the Tau codex. Multitrackers allow a model to "fire an extra weapon each Shooting phase." Since overwatch happens in the assault phase, multitrackers don't apply.

I understand, but reread the rules for overwatch.  Specifically page 21 third paragraph.  It states that:
QuoteAn Overwatch attack is resolved like a normal shooting attack (albeit one resolved in the enemy's Assault phase) and uses all the normal rules for range, line of sight, cover saves and so on.

To me that means it follows ALL the rules for a ranged attack attack... including walkers, monstrous creatures and multi-trackers.

Tactical Genius

Codex overules rulebook and the codex clearly defines the phase a multitraker may be used. its as clear as day. i would argue that the only reason that line is in the codex entry is for exactly that reason.
"OI, Close the skylight"
Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on Today at 08:10:48 PM
His fail is always spelling, and grammer. Verbally he has a fine grip of the queens English, but ask him to write it down and hes like Iron Man in a magnet factory.

KCKitsune

Quote from: Tactical Genius on April 25, 2013, 11:46:26 AMCodex overules rulebook and the codex clearly defines the phase a multitraker may be used. its as clear as day. i would argue that the only reason that line is in the codex entry is for exactly that reason.
The line in the codex is this:
QuoteA model with a multi-tracker can fire an additional weapon in each Shooting phase.

My question to you TG is this:  how many shooting phases are there?  I thought there was only ONE shooting phase per player.

The Man They Call Jayne

Then the argument could be made that it specifies EACH because the Overwatch action counts as a situational shooting phase. It doesn't say THE Shooting Phase. Each suggests more than one.