News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

The Tau Codex

Started by The Man They Call Jayne, April 05, 2013, 12:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man They Call Jayne

So, a thread for actually discussing this new book.

After a brief look through at what is availiable, I am impressed. The book itself is beautifully well done just as a piece of work.

As for what is in it, It's good. There are some new things, and lots of revamped old things.

Rail weapons are now have the best across the board, although they are less availiable. Sniper Drones have been given Longshot Pulse Rifles which is your basic sniper weapon.

There is only 1 rank of Commander now. Commander. And his bodyguard automatically pass Look Out, Sir! thanks to the Sworn Protector rules.

Biggest surprise for me? I might actually WANT an Ethereal now. They are massively improved and, I feel, a worthy addition to your army.

Special characters are fun looking. Longstrike boosts your BS and gives himself Tank Hunter, and Darkstrider will be great against those mid Toughness annoyances, with his Structural Analyser reducing a target units Toughness by 1 for Darkstrider and his Firewarrior/Pathfinder unit. Combine him with some Rail Rifle toting Pathfinders and MCs will melt away I suspect.

Aun'shi is back, a fragile but skilled Blademaster who can either defend himself well, or gain rending for a phase while in Challenge.

So far, I am liking this. I have yet to see anything utterly horrific, but I will fill you in as I know more.

Any questions?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

InsaneTD

What's the commanders stats line? Shas'o or 'el? Or a combo of both.

The Man They Call Jayne

It's Just a Shas'O now, with a 10 point increase in cost.

IC, Supporting Fire, Very Bulky. May take FOUR items from Ranged Weapons and Support Gear lists. Can access Signature Systems list (special items) and can take up to 2 Drones from the list (Gun, Marker, Missile, Shield. All of which cost the same)

InsaneTD

I can live with those changes. Definatly gonna have to drop a hammerhead to fit the new stuff I want though.

The Man They Call Jayne

Disruption Pods are now only Stealth, rather than Shrouded, so you will have more of a need to keep on the move. However the 12" minimum range seems to be gone.

InsaneTD

The Man They Call Jayne

Same cost as an old Firewarrior.

InsaneTD

Ouch. Still, I'm not complaining since it is much better. Vehicles all the same cost as before?

The Man They Call Jayne

bit cheaper. Hammerhead lost its submunition but you can buy it back. Railgun is now standard and to change to Ion Cannon is free.

InsaneTD

I can see the ion with longstrike being the go to combo. Is it true bursts on the hammer are twinlinked, not twin now?

The Man They Call Jayne

Yes, that or a TL SMS Which has a greater range, ignores cover and doesn't nedd LOS

InsaneTD

Wait, twinlinked SMS? That will be nasty. Whish it was still twined burst.

The Man They Call Jayne

Indeed. I suspect they will become the standard choice, given they now have the same range as the Pulse Rifle.

InsaneTD

Bloody shit. Same cost as before?

The Man They Call Jayne

No, cheaper. Not sure what they were thinking with that choice really.