News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Dark Angels Revealed!

Started by Zen, December 20, 2012, 02:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will's on Fire

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on December 29, 2012, 04:12:50 AM
The Doom is a one target lance shot isnt it? Im not 100% on what the doomsday ark can do, but any AP2 Large Blast needs to cost a bomb.

I assume he meant the doom's "suck out your brains" power. Along with the str9 ap2 large blast form the Necron Doomsday Barge. Also, if you think about it, it's a weaker strength, and less armoured version of a vindicator. Not too scary. :P

- Will

Narric

Well, the kits are up for Advanced Order now.

I wish I had

salamut2202

Okay, now I've had a good look at the new stuff:

-The Dark Talon is just a Stormtalon which has wings and options to become a flying church, nothing that's setting the world on fire;

-Land Speeder Vengeance is evidence that some chapters are taking technological tips from Meks. It looks stupid ALMOST to the degree of the Stormraven;

-Bikes with Plasma Guns, meh;

-Terminators with bits, meh.

Is it from being bombarded with too many flavours of power armoured fuck nuggets? I don't know but this is really boring.

crisis_vyper

Quote from: salamut2202 on January 05, 2013, 05:29:48 AM
Okay, now I've had a good look at the new stuff:

-The Dark Talon is just a Stormtalon which has wings and options to become a flying church, nothing that's setting the world on fire;

-Land Speeder Vengeance is evidence that some chapters are taking technological tips from Meks. It looks stupid ALMOST to the degree of the Stormraven;

-Bikes with Plasma Guns, meh;

-Terminators with bits, meh.

Is it from being bombarded with too many flavours of power armoured fuck nuggets? I don't know but this is really boring.

I honestly like the more humble release this time round for the Marines. But I will agree that the Land Speeder Vengeance needs some time getting used to.

The Man They Call Jayne

I dont think I would mind it AS much if it didnt have that huge blister on its face.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Cammerz

Well now that I've had a look at the White Dwarf, I think I'm ready to weigh in here,

Firstly, I thought I'd wait to see the Land Speeder Vengeance/Darkshroud from a few more angles before delivering my final verdict, and now that I have, my opinion hasn't changed, it just doesn't work. I like the idea of a pulpit-type thing on a vehicle and if they'd put it somewhere else (like next to the pilot), I might even be praising it, but it should not exist on the front. The Darkshroud is even worse in my opinion because at least the LSV is slightly redeemed by that cool Plasma Storm Battery, the Darkshroud's relic doesn't look very good and is particularly cheesy. How exactly does the presence of a statue make all nearby Dark Angels hidden in darkness (and it adds to the cover save, if I were making the rules for that I'd at least make use of Night Fighting).

Next up, the Dark Talon and Nephilim. The Nephilim doesn't actually look too bad, and its rules don't make it look particularly broken or out-of character for Space Marines. The Dark Talon on the other hand has a massive stone crypt and a gun called the 'Rift Cannon' which can "tear apart realities". Really? Fortunately it only has 2 HPs and 10 armour all round, also I'm having trouble reading the very small print but it looks like it doesn't give itself the Stealth USR.

Moving up to the better end of the spectrum, the Ravenwing bikes. I like the look of Ravenwing bikes with all those wing shapes on the sides and on the back. I also like the look of the plasmaguns on the front (I just hope they pay through the nose for them). I also think the helmet designs look quite cool.

And finally we have the Terminators. Belial doesn't look too great but I think he could easily be improved just by lowering his arms (Ah, the joys of Finecast, so much easier to convert than pewter). But then we'll move onto the Terminator box, which doesn't look bad. In the standard command squad, I am loving the Terminator Plasma Cannon but the Champion's likeness to the Chaos Lord in the Dark Vengeance kit is certainly odd. The command terminators themselves don't have too much going for them over normal terminators, but the Deathwing Knights look very nice. The robes in the Terminator armour are very well done and the weapons just complete the look. I also like how each model has a matching pair of shoulder pad and shield so they each get their own personal heraldry (that is until you buy a second unit or boost the squad to 10 men). I would however absolutely hate going up against this unit in battle as I'm certain they'll be very hard to kill.
The WD also shows a picture of their army list page in the codex. They have the Hammer of Wrath special rule.

Zen

Wow, the DA Battleforce allows you to fill up one Troop Slot at a low, low price of 70 GBP :D

Narric

I feel its time to try and sell my excess Ravenwing and Deathwing parts. Someones going to want the Bike fronts and Termy Bitz I have :P

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Zen on January 07, 2013, 06:24:46 PM
Wow, the DA Battleforce allows you to fill up one Troop Slot at a low, low price of 70 GBP :D

Actually it can be one troop choice and one HQ if you want to mount Sammael in a Land Speeder. ;)

Narric

Quote from: crisis_vyper on January 07, 2013, 11:27:00 PM

Actually it can be one troop choice and one HQ if you want to mount Sammael in a Land Speeder. ;)
isn't that old Codex? And you CAN make two Troops a HQ and a Fast Attack out of it. May not be an uber hard hitter, but it can be a good starting point. I think someone made a thread that compared each armies' battleforce to see which gave the best initial start. Its probably in Labs by now.

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Narric of 4th Sphere on January 07, 2013, 11:37:52 PM
Quote from: crisis_vyper on January 07, 2013, 11:27:00 PM

isn't that old Codex? And you CAN make two Troops a HQ and a Fast Attack out of it. May not be an uber hard hitter, but it can be a good starting point. I think someone made a thread that compared each armies' battleforce to see which gave the best initial start. Its probably in Labs by now.

The new White Dwarf actually shows that Sammael could choose to be mounted on a Land Speeder, so that did not change much. And actually you are right, it could be two very small troops choices in the form of the bikers and a Fast Attack in the form of the Attack Bike.