News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Dark Angels Revealed!

Started by Zen, December 20, 2012, 02:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Personally, I don't see why they pushed the gun forward. How many people have complained that the position of the Heavy bolter/Multi-melta is restrictive?

I'll probably scratch-buld my own, if the rules make me want to field one. I won't endorse this model kit by purchasing it.

The same goes for Belial and the Terminators*. Boy did they drop the ball on them.

The only good thing about the bikes I'll sya, is the Standard piece that is shown. It looks much better then the regular Command Squad banner people use normally.

Looking other the Terminator squads shown, it seems the Deathwing will get something similar to the Grey Knight Terminators, in terms of equipment options and modelling options.

Something I've noticed is the "Sergeant" mdel in the "Deathwing Command Squad" is psed pretty much identically to the Chaos Lord from the box set. So much imagination[/sarcasm]

*Am I the only one thhat thinks that sounds like a Rock band?

Quote from: Linn Scarlett on December 21, 2012, 12:49:55 AM
I don't know, it looks like one big bucket of artistic fail to me - but as I said before, I thought the speeder was that, anyway. :P
True, the regular Land Speeder isn't a joy to look at. But in its defence, it looks better then this failure of a skimmer.

The Man They Call Jayne

Gotta be honest, Im not seeing the issue with the terminators. They look like normal termies to me with DA trimmings. Are the current DA termies a bit special or something?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on December 21, 2012, 01:09:37 AM
Gotta be honest, Im not seeing the issue with the terminators. They look like normal termies to me with DA trimmings. Are the current DA termies a bit special or something?
From my point of view, I don't think the current DA termies are anything special.

I just thinking the kit designer could have taken pointers from the DV box set Termies.

I think I'll just buy some Veteran Kits, and add the Terminator parts to regular SM Terminators. Then of course I'll mod the warp out of them :)

Chicop76

no tau ;9, or no eldar who really cares.

Sadly I get Dark Angels, Black Templars and Ravenwing CONFUSSING AND THINK ALL THREE ARE THE SAME ARMY! Any way another marine army which is being updated whooopeee doppiee do.

looking at the models I would probably use the bits for my sister army, or grey knight army. Already using a few as crusaders. Blood Angels, Grey Knights, and Space Wolves are more unique than this army.

DEF Knight

QuoteSadly I get Dark Angels, Black Templars and Ravenwing CONFUSSING AND THINK ALL THREE ARE THE SAME ARMY!

But they ARE *dun dun duhnnnnnnnnn* Well, except for Black Templar, they're different. But Ravenwing and Deathwing are both specific detachments of the Dark Angels. Because angels have wings, and are

LinnScarlett

That 'ravenwing' shit gets me every time; I always think someone is fielding Corax' boys rather than *again* DA's. Might just be me though...  :shifty:

Quote from: Narric of 4th Sphere on December 21, 2012, 12:59:22 AM
Quote from: Linn Scarlett on December 21, 2012, 12:49:55 AM
I don't know, it looks like one big bucket of artistic fail to me - but as I said before, I thought the speeder was that, anyway. :P
True, the regular Land Speeder isn't a joy to look at. But in its defence, it looks better then this failure of a skimmer.

Hehe, yea Narric. "Less suck" is always better than "Even moar suck". Speeders and Space Marines, I just never got that, really. I'll stick with the boxy flying brick aircraft of them. They're not exactly streamlined and undoubtedly a pain to get airborn, but at least they look Space Mariney - all big and bulky and so full of pure CANNOTBE that its awesome again. The speeder, not so much. This one even less than the regular one. :P
I need more time to do the Emperor's work!

You can read my stuff on 2S's Fluff and Stories.

Or, you can come visit my author page on Archive of Our Own. WARNING: NC-17

Chicop76

Quote from: DEF Knight on December 21, 2012, 05:14:48 AM
QuoteSadly I get Dark Angels, Black Templars and Ravenwing CONFUSSING AND THINK ALL THREE ARE THE SAME ARMY!

But they ARE *dun dun duhnnnnnnnnn* Well, except for Black Templar, they're different. But Ravenwing and Deathwing are both specific detachments of the Dark Angels. Because angels have wings, and are

LinnScarlett

Bah, Catachan are now just IG flavour (it makes life easier, sure, but a bit less fun, at least in the fluffy sense, for having an all-Catachan army that can hold its ground). I want this Grey Knight/Death Watch bull to be over, tbh. Bring back a good Inquisition codex that covers GK and DW as their sidekicks.

I never understood (aside from obvious money/publish constraints) why we can't have all 'the same stuff' in the same damn book. I personally find watching all the releases of, what to me (oh more space marines flavour-of-the-day-X) is basically, the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I like them, but blergh. They're wringing and forcing it a bit, and its quite obvious with the DA.

I understand SM are pretty much the parade pony, but it's just no fun drumming your fingers through all their releases, waiting for your 'own' favourite stuff. Like 6th IG, or, pray to the Emperor, something which allows me to refield my Inquisitor and her retinue/sidekick marines WITHOUT making her a flavour-tack-on to a bunch of egotistical GK.

/end rant. ;)

I just miss the days of saying what Ishara says in the last panel, to my bf. Hehe.
http://www.servantsoftheimperium.com/comic.php?comicid=183

BigToof

Curiously, the mate who wrote the Skaven book is the author...

I'm not sure what to think!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Wargamer

Nnnnope, sorry, but cross-breeding a Storm Talon with an Aquila Lander does not make it look any less retarded.

Speaking of retarded, what the hell happened with that new abomination of a vehicle? I've seen Ork Trukks that look more thoughtfully designed!

I really don't have high hopes for this Codex. I'm expecting idiocy to drip from every page.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

LinnScarlett

Quote from: Wargamer on December 22, 2012, 12:34:42 AM
Nnnnope, sorry, but cross-breeding a Storm Talon with an Aquila Lander does not make it look any less retarded.

Speaking of retarded, what the hell happened with that new abomination of a vehicle? I've seen Ork Trukks that look more thoughtfully designed!

I really don't have high hopes for this Codex. I'm expecting idiocy to drip from every page.

Chipper up Lord Black-Shades *pats*
...Maybe it's just the dark colours? Dark colours can look really unflattering on models that aren't very flattering to begin with. Blocks them out like gigantic clumps of 'dark stuff'. It won't turn into a princess, but different colours can make quite a difference I think.

Blergh, land speeders...

I am sticking with the flying bricks.  ;D

Tempest Six Two

New minis are ehhh, take em or leave em. Sure I can mod my own versions if GW's fare isnt up to my liking.

Got 4500pts of dark green marines sitting in the case waiting for the book to drop, and I'm already all jacked up on Plasma, Tactical Squads, Dreads, Land Raiders and a boatload of Deathwing Terminators. IF some of the rumours hold true it should be an interesting new iteration- and I wont be whining about whats new, whats changed, whats nerfed etc . I've been rolling with the First Legion since '93, so whats a new codex in a new game edition to me? 

I have high hopes for this book, new minis notwithstanding. Belial is really the only major dissapointment for me, I would have liked to have bought him if he looked any good. Alas, my kit-bashed Belial craps all over this, and therefore wont be replaced.

My mini painting and terrain building blog- come check it out: http://tempest-terrain.blogspot.com/

[IMG]http://secondsphere.org/award.php?i=384&k=d2dd7e&m

crisis_vyper

Well, seeing the pictures I can defend some of the choices that they made while some others I believe needs a little more work.

I actually liked the Bikers, but they stole my old conversion idea of just slightly slanting that feather thing at the back of the bike to give them a sense of motion. I am not angry at this, but just that I am amazed that it took GW this long to think about it. I personally always loved Ravenwing as an army, and I may even buy like some of the Ravenwing Battleforce just because I like them.

As for the Deathwing Knights and Belial, I do not mind them as they are what I always think about when I think Deathwing. With some conversion, the Deathwing Knights can become a cooler looking Assault Terminator. However...................I personally would get Forgeworld Terminators (one of only two times where I would really consider a FW purchase, the first being the autocannon kit for Havocs).

The pimped Landspeeder is interesting as there are two variants of it, and I believed that the one without the plasma cannon is the land speeder that confers Stealth to any friendly unit that is within 12" of the unit. I am not fond of the looks, but I can understand its function in a Ravenwing army. The plasma cannon speeder is fancy but may not be strong at all.

The flyers.......well I need to see the model up close to get a true idea of its beauty/hideousness.

Chicop76

Quote from: crisis_vyper on December 27, 2012, 06:24:47 AM
Well, seeing the pictures I can defend some of the choices that they made while some others I believe needs a little more work.

I actually liked the Bikers, but they stole my old conversion idea of just slightly slanting that feather thing at the back of the bike to give them a sense of motion. I am not angry at this, but just that I am amazed that it took GW this long to think about it. I personally always loved Ravenwing as an army, and I may even buy like some of the Ravenwing Battleforce just because I like them.

As for the Deathwing Knights and Belial, I do not mind them as they are what I always think about when I think Deathwing. With some conversion, the Deathwing Knights can become a cooler looking Assault Terminator. However...................I personally would get Forgeworld Terminators (one of only two times where I would really consider a FW purchase, the first being the autocannon kit for Havocs).

The pimped Landspeeder is interesting as there are two variants of it, and I believed that the one without the plasma cannon is the land speeder that confers Stealth to any friendly unit that is within 12" of the unit. I am not fond of the looks, but I can understand its function in a Ravenwing army. The plasma cannon speeder is fancy but may not be strong at all.

The flyers.......well I need to see the model up close to get a true idea of its beauty/hideousness.

Really, a speeder with a +3 cover save givining camo cloaked models in terrain +2 or +3 cover saves awesome.

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Chicop76 on December 27, 2012, 03:00:12 PM
Quote from: crisis_vyper on December 27, 2012, 06:24:47 AM

Really, a speeder with a +3 cover save givining camo cloaked models in terrain +2 or +3 cover saves awesome.

Well more info on that Darkshroud from one of the Denmark dudes who had already got the new WD.

Their Bestiary page is also in the WD. The Vengeance version has a heavy bolter and a Plasma Storm battery as standard. Otherwise it is you standard Land Speeder. The Ravenwing Darkshroud version is a Land Speeder with a heavy bolter and it has the Scout USR apparantly. It also has (or has the option for) the 'Icon of Old Caliban' which gives +1 to friendly units within 12" when determining assualt results (not cumulative). The Darkshroud special rule gives the Land Speeder the Shrouded USR and friendly units within 6" gain the Stealth USR (not cumulative, does not affect the Darkshroud itself).

So the Darkshroud is not as nasty as I thought it would be, but still it will become a fixture in quite a number of Ravenwing lists as it is a good support unit that increases their survivability.