News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Dark Angels Revealed!

Started by Zen, December 20, 2012, 02:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zen

Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus

The way that land speeder is designed looks more like an ork modification rather than imperial - the placement of the weapons just looks...wrong and out-of-place compared to the usual weapon positioning on imperial vehicles.

Also, slightly related, two people in our LGS got banned from the store until the end of the month because they spoke about this...it's a funny world in the mind of Games Workshop :P
Quote from: Narric on August 15, 2011, 12:09:07 AM
You make it sound like it could be wearing a top-hat and monocle, but for the sole reason it'd have been painted by Gareth that it would still look terrifying........I have to say I agree. XD
Quote from: Greg Mun

Narric

So many lame miniatures. Aside from the Deathwing Knights, evrything just looks like the designer was half asleep.

Good God,what did they do to Belial?
The Ravenwing bikes to somehow look both undetailed and clutter.
The Flyer looks cool .I'll wait until the codex comes out to give my opinion on them.

Lastly..... The Land Speeder :facepalm001:
WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? it looks damn awful. The designer wasn't half asleep, they were in a freakin' coma.

So long as the Ravenwing Battlefore remains unchanged, I'll be fine. though now I wish I had the money to buy a couple just in case they fuck that up as well.

Matt1785

Meh, lame army begets a lame release.  I know there are DA players that will be upset with that opinion, but is there really anything special about the Dark Angels that sets them apart from any other legion?  Do they deserve a book anymore then the White Scars?  Then the Salamanders?  I still don't understand the idea of keeping them their own book.  All of their special rules have been absorbed by the other SM book...  Oh well.

Speeder is ugly, bikes are still lame, I've always hated the looks of bikes in 40K, too bulky to even seem like they could work.  They look like the darned Batman bike, which was only able to work for about 5 minutes at a time.

What the heck is wrong with these terminators?  Belial is just blah, what the heck is he doing?  Knights seem ok, but I really just think this is another rush release with Ward rules to make more sales.  Too bad the models look garbage.  Chaos Space Marines at least get to stand on solid models.

The Allfather

Yeah, I don't see why they couldn't have just left them in the main Space Marine book. Now we're just being charged a super-premium for Marines with feathers and wings.

Back in the day it was really easy to represent Dark Angels... just use a couple of their characters and more plasma weapons than everyone else!

LinnScarlett

Mah, I won't stake out defending them for their uniqueness or anything - they're just as unique and flavoured as any of the other chapters, including Space Wolves, and all the others don't get their own line of figures either (or do they?  :o ).

I think putting them into models is more a broadening the spectrum / marketing angel than anything, just like the Space Wolves. Vikings and Knights/Paladins are popular thematic groups. Its the kind of stuff people like and sculpt, and if these are provided by GWS so much the easier (and more money for GWS). GWS just tries to field them like a seperate thing with a codex and all that. But in essence, its just another SM force. I am not surprised it doesn't stand out (from among other chapters). I am still not sure why they don't stick all SM together, bar the fact that the book might be 300 pages. :P

I am personally a big fan of the models 'theme' (and kinda like the new ones too, although the vehicles are horrific, but I don't like the normal speeder either, so...). I seriously want to do bad bad naughty things to those Knights, and admittedly Belial too. Meh. I don't play DA though, I bash them into my Alpha Legion. Robes + Alpha Legion = Win (in my humble opinion).  :D
I need more time to do the Emperor's work!

You can read my stuff on 2S's Fluff and Stories.

Or, you can come visit my author page on Archive of Our Own. WARNING: NC-17

The Man They Call Jayne

And new flyers too by the look of it. Look like Lightnings to me.

Thats Land Speeder though. . . what the hell? I dont mind too much that it has bigger engines, or that thing on the roof, but WHY in hell is there a huge wart of the front with a marine in it?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Arguleon-veq

I like Belial, the Deathwing and the Knights. The rest is pretty poor and I dont like the fact that they have another Marine flyer. They should have just given them Talons and Ravens, thats plenty.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

LinnScarlett

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on December 20, 2012, 05:47:33 PM
...and I dont like the fact that they have another Marine flyer.

Somehow that reminds me of wanting terrain buggies and military issue motorcycles for my Catachan...
...the Imperial Guard needs more vehicles, the Space Marines already have tons of them.

I am not a fan of the landspeeder at all, it's fugly. And this one is fuglier yet. On the other hand, I adore the 'flying bricks' they have. They're just... they just look like the kind of 'we're here and we're going to flatten you into the frakking ground' feel that I like for Space Marines. The speeder is just... uck.

I wonder who did the sculpting/design for the new Dark Angel models, this time around?

The Man They Call Jayne

Someone who doesnt like Dark Angels. Its a shame because I actully like them as an army, their back ground and whatnot.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

LinnScarlett

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on December 20, 2012, 06:06:12 PM
Someone who doesnt like Dark Angels. Its a shame because I actully like them as an army, their back ground and whatnot.

All depends on how you look at it, for me. I like Dark Angels, but fluff-wise I don't like them any more or less than I do most of the other legions/chapters. I like most, to be honest. However, I really *like* the Dark Angel models because, as they say, 'their knighty robey paladiny aesthetic pleases my inner artist that likes details - moar details! moar!' The latter is why I do model them, I just convert them into my Alpha Legion because I want the air of mystery and seclusion for them that the Dark Angels ooze in copious amounts. My heart bleeds (...) whenever I have to file off some of their iconography, but that gets replaced by hydraic iconography.

Sooooo... I am never sure if I count as someone that likes Dark Angels, or not, when it comes down to it. :P

DEF Knight

These are actually pretty decent sculpts by and large, the issue I find is just that of posing. They're largely static, there's little weight being shifted around, little use of negative space, not a whole lot of emotion

salamut2202

I see the raven wing has take the monopoly away from the Knight and the Vampires for the 'Ungliest imperial flyer' competition.

I like some of the death  wing stuff though, although I don't see why they're trying to get variety out of a unit which is essentially 'Guys in big white armour"

Paradoxrifts

The new unique land speeder reminds me of the flying vehicles that they had in the Fifth Element, had  the Fifth Element had taken place in the WH40K universe. But why they didn't put that heavy bolter / assault cannon underneath the model instead of tacking it on the front end is beyond me.

LinnScarlett

Quote from: Paradoxrifts on December 21, 2012, 12:14:30 AM
The new unique land speeder reminds me of the flying vehicles that they had in the Fifth Element, had  the Fifth Element had taken place in the WH40K universe. But why they didn't put that heavy bolter / assault cannon underneath the model instead of tacking it on the front end is beyond me.

Why, to make it look different!  :o
I don't know, it looks like one big bucket of artistic fail to me - but as I said before, I thought the speeder was that, anyway. :P