News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Tau: Best Way to Deal with AV13+ Spam?

Started by Carrelio, April 07, 2013, 08:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carrelio

Sort of...
I was finding percent wasn't actually helping as much because different weapons had different volumes of shots.  So instead, these are the average number of damage to a vehicle a weapon can deal.
So, a high yield missile pod will average 2 hull points a turn against an AV10 target, while the heavy rail rifle only averages .68.
For a single shot, yes, it would tell you the percentage to hit... but for anything with more than 1 shot, it just tells you the average damage (basically, the number of shots and the percentage to hit smooshed together).

Edit: the fusions are indeed mixed up. I'll fix that now.

Arguleon-veq

The thing a lot of people are missing is that AV13 is hard to deal with, for everybody.

Tau are no worse off than the vast majority of armies, in fact in some ways, they are better off in dealing with it. Mainly from the fact that your meltas have added range and you have the best tank busting gun in the game.

My Wolf/Guard at 1850 only put out;
10+D6 S7,
4 S8,
D3 S10 Ordnance,
4 Deep Striking Melta.

Thats all I have that can deal with AV13.

My Death Guard get;

4 S8,
4 S7,
2 S10 Ordnance.

Even in situations were you struggle to kill AV13 tanks, what are they doing back to you? sure 3 broadsides may only have a 1 in 3 chance of killing AV13 from the front, but how much damage is that tanks going to do back to the broadsides?

So how do Tau deal with it? the same way as every other army;

1.Getting Meltas in close [fusion blasters]
2.Glancing them to death with S7 [autocannons for most armies, missile pods for Tau],
3.Putting plenty of S8 at them and hedging your bets between blowing them up and glancing them to death [missiles for everybody else, broadsides for Tau].
4.Trying to pop them with high strength weapons [Lascannons and ordnance for other races, S8/9 Ordnance and Railguns for Tau].
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Waaaghpower

Actually, Orks don't have a problem with Armor spam, ironically enough.
With that said... I can't help much for Tau.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

InsaneTD

Can you re-do the odds for the heavy rail and the high yield, the only way to get them is twin-linked.

Carrelio

The measurements assume twin-linked, I didn't state it in the weapon description because it's the only way to take them and thus not a necessary differentiation. I could include the non-twinlinked versions if you want?

Edit: I've added seeker missiles, firing at BS3 (off a broadside/devilfish), BS4 (off a tank), B5 (using markerlight).

Seeker Missile: BS3
AV   HP   Pen   Explode
10   0.42   0.33   0.06
11   0.33   0.25   0.04
12   0.25   0.17   0.03
13   0.17   0.08   0.01
14   0.08   0.00   0.00

Seeker Missile: BS4
AV   HP   Pen   Explode
10   0.56   0.44   0.07
11   0.44   0.33   0.06
12   0.33   0.22   0.04
13   0.22   0.11   0.02
14   0.11   0.00   0.00

Seeker Missile: BS5
AV   HP   Pen   Explode
10   0.69   0.56   0.09
11   0.56   0.42   0.07
12   0.42   0.28   0.05
13   0.28   0.14   0.02
14   0.14   0.00   0.00

InsaneTD

Thought seekers could only be fired by markerlight?

Carrelio

From what I've heard they can fire themselves at the BS of the user as a weapon option in the shooting phase.  Using a markerlight provides them with the advantages of an automatic BS5 (even if fired from a BS3 platform) and gives them the ignore cover special rule.  I can't confirm that though.

InsaneTD

I'll double check in and codex later and get post it up unless someone else beats me too it.

Carrelio

Get me the different modes of the heavy burst cannon from the Riptide too (specifically the strength) ;D

InsaneTD

Seeker missiles are just hunter killer missiles now with nothing saying the unit can't fire it. Firing by markerlight is just a better way to do so. Though I wonder how true that is, if a unit, say a hammerhead, with a seeker fires one at a unit that has been marked and has say, 5 hits,  It could use 3 of those to become BS 7 and still negate cover when firing a seeker.

The heavy burst cannon is just a heavy 8 heavy bolter which becomes heavy 12 rending when nova charged.

The Man They Call Jayne

It has +1 Strength on a Heavy Bolter and gains +2 on top of that when Nova Charged.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

InsaneTD

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on April 10, 2013, 09:31:54 AM
It has +1 Strength on a Heavy Bolter and gains +2 on top of that when Nova Charged.
The heavy burst cannon? Where are you reading from? It's Str doesn't change when charged. The Ion is a different matyer.

The Man They Call Jayne

My bad. I was getting confused. But it is still +1S over a Heavy Bolter. :P

InsaneTD

When did heavy bolters become the same str as a pulse rifle?

The Man They Call Jayne

They always have been 5/4. The HBC is 6/4.