News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Lady Jenna vs NEW Tau (1500) in "Agents of Justice"

Started by BigToof, May 18, 2013, 05:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

Lady Jenna vs NEW Tau (1500) in "Agents of Justice"
---------------
Hi All,
So, as requested, here comes my not-so-stellar engagement against the Tau with a weird list.
I had my Lady Jenna list, that I still haven't changed as umm... yeah...  I'm just lazy.
Besides, if it's not broken, why fix it, right?
The list was still unbeaten and quite frankly unless my opponent really gangs up on me, I have enough bodies to get almost anything done.

How did it come out?  Was it ugly bad or just mostly bad?

Read on!

Best,
-BT

P.S.  Comments and Critiques are greatly appreciated!
---------------------

-----------
The Lists
-----------

The Imperial Alliance 1500 pts: 79 Infantry, 1 Vehicle, 1 Fort; 12-15 VPs
Space Wolves
-Rune Priest Harald "Mad Harry" Runesmith w/ Runic Armor
-Lone Wolf "Heartless" w/Chainfist, Stormshield
-Wolf Guardx4 in Terminator Armor, Power Axes, Combi-Plasmasx2, Combi-Flamer
-Grey Huntersx10 w/Plasmagunsx2, Wolf Standard
-Grey Huntersx10 w/Plasmagunsx2, Wolf Standard
-Grey Huntersx7 w/Flamer, Wolf Standard
-Long Fangsx5 w/Missile Launchersx4
Lady Jenna's Marauders
-Lady Jenna Mordheim (Primaris Psyker w/Force Staff)
-Cpt. Alyssa Jax, Stormtroopersx5 w/Meltagunsx2
-Lt. Jack Hawkins, Platoon Command Squad w/Flamersx4
-Infantry Platoon w/Lascannon, Sgt. w/Power Axe
-"The Boxbreaker" Leman Russ Exterminator w/HB Sposons
Ageis Defense Line w/Quadgun

Tau 1500pts: 61 Infantry, 1 Vehicle; 12 VPs
Shas'O w/Plasma Riflesx2, Drone Controller, IArmor, Target Lock, Marker Drone, OGauntlet, Jammer (Warlord)
Shas'O w/Missile Podsx2, Drone Controller, Target Lock, Marker Drone
Crisis Suitsx3 w/Plasma Riflesx6, Target Locks, Marker Dronesx3
Stealth Suitsx3 w/Fusion Blaster/Target Lock, Positional Relay, Shas'vre w/MLight/TL
Stealth Suitsx3 w/Fusion Blaster/Target Lock, Positional Relay, Shas'vre w/MLight/TL
Krootx10 w/Krootoxenx2, Kroot Hound, Sniper Rounds
Krootx10 w/Krootoxenx2, Kroot Hound, Sniper Rounds
Krootx10 w/Krootox, Kroot Hound, Sniper Rounds
Marker Dronesx4
Pathfindersx4 w/Railgunsx3, EMP Grenades
Pathfindersx4 w/Railgunsx3, EMP Grenades
Skyray w/SMS, Disruptor Pod

-------------------------------------------
Chapter 5: Nothing in Life is Free
-------------------------------------------

Lieutenant Jack Hawkins stumbled into bed and sighed as he felt the cool comfort of the covers.  It had been a long night.  One of many, given the latest escapades of the group.  As Seneschal of the Rogue Trader Anne Bonney, he and his Captain, Lady Jenna Mordheim, had saved a group of Space Wolves and delivered them successfully back to one of their planets.

There had been much rejoicing.  Much.  And it was still going on.  The only thing the Wolves loved more than fighting was carousing, and every night had been a half-day bender that usually ended up with more out than in.  He sighed again.  As Seneschal he was supposed to be keeping up good appearances and ensuring the safety of the vessel, but whatever brew the Space Wolves had was surprisingly potent and perhaps not entirely for non-superhuman consumption.  He sat for a while, head swimming, thinking about the lukewarm situation. 

Granted, they had succeeded in bringing the Space Wolves back and also expanded their Marque, the complete loss of the Elysian 76th was a hard burden to bear.  Well, not entirely complete, he had to admit.  His ex-wife, Captain Alyssa Jax, had survived thanks mostly to the Biomancy of Lady Jenna.  Jax wasn't too pleased about the entire affair.  Or at least, she hadn't been. 

Something had gone on between Jenna and Jax, and Jax's personality had drastically changed.  Normally about as friendly and open as a smoking plasmagun in your face, Jax had started acting almost... feminine.  It was sort of shocking in more ways than one.  But then again, Jack might be one of the few with the history enough to make the changes seem relevant.  Which worried him more and more as he thought about it.

Even though he was more than comfortable around Jenna, there was something about her powers that set him on edge.  Jenna seemed completely altruistic, and Jack had never seen her do anything close to malicious.  And that was, perhaps, the thing that bothered him.  Nobody could be that good at heart, could they?

There was a knock on his door.  It didn't sound urgent.  Or at least, that was what Jack and his head was hoping.  However, the rap-rap-rapping didn't let up and in fact, started to increase in almost playful intensity.  Dear Emperor, thought Jack, the last thing he needed right now was this sort of thing.

Screwing on his best face, he stumbled to the door and mumbled, "Whazzit?"

A muffled voice said, "Ship's business, Seneschal.  You're needed."

Jack let his head hit the door.  The life of a Seneschal was never easy.  Girding himself he said, "Fine, yes.  One moment."

He opened the door and felt his eyes open in surprise when he saw the figure of Jax standing in his doorway.  Her hair was slightly tousled, cheeks were flushed, and she was carrying a bottle of something rather potent looking.  Before he could say anything, she slipped inside, and leaned on the door, forcing it closed.

"Al," said Jack, "What are you doing?  You... You can't be in here."

Jax threw him a mischievous smirk, "Oh, no, really?  I thought otherwise.  I must be in the wrong room then, Mr. Seneschal.  Are you going to throw me out?"

Jack sighed.  It was going to be one of these moments.  He moved towards Jax, grabbing her by the coat, and was surprised when it came away in his hand.  He looked reflexively at her, and saw that she had just drooped the greatcoat over her shoulders and underneath she was wearing nothing at all.

As surprise and hormones slammed against the cognizant part of his brain that had survived the alcohol insults of the earlier evening, Jax grabbed him by the waist, throwing him into the bed and then straddled on top of him, littering his neck with kisses.

Jack tried to push her off, but Jax grabbed his hands and put them on her chest.

"Jax...  Al... No, don't... Don't do this."

Jax giggled, "Really, Jack?  I think 'Little Jack' says otherwise."

Jack fumed and then stopped struggling, throwing her the ugliest glare he could find in his pit of ugly stares.  Jax continued for a few moments, pawing around his body, and then noticed his stare.  She tried to go back, but failed, just as Jack knew she would.  Apparently some things just don't change.

Jack rolled her off of him, and covered her with a sheet.

"By the Throne, cut off with a look," Jax said, "I really am a selfish little brat, aren't I?"

Jack sighed, "I wouldn't say selfish."

Rather than slugging him in the shoulder like she usually did, Jack was surprised to see her droop her head down. 
Something was really wrong.

"Al, what's going on? I mean, you know I can't do this.  The Captain..."

"Oh, yes, Lady Jenna.  The White Queen.  The Perfect Princess.  As if I can hold a candle to that."

Jack rolled his eyes, "Begging for compliments isn't your strongest suit, Al.  Besides, you're... you know, pretty and all."

Jax looked over at him and threw him a smirk, "'Pretty?'  All that work and all I get is 'pretty'?  I really am losing my touch."

Jack chuckled and sat down next to her.  After some thought, he put an arm around her and was a bit surprised when she leaned against him.

"I just don't want to lose you, Jack.  Isn't that funny?  I spent so much time trying to forget you and here we are.  I just...  I don't want someone to forget me.  You're the last person who remembers...  who I was."

Jack frowned.  This was a side of Jax he hadn't seen before.  Was it real or just part of Jenna's meddling?  Did it really matter?

"I...  I don't know, Al, I just..."

A knocking on the door interrupted him and he raised an eyebrow at it.

"Oh... yes, that's right.  I really was supposed to bring you to the bridge, Jack.  Guess we had better think of a reason why I'm in here naked snuggling up to you?"

Wonderful, thought Jack, Just when things were looking up.

-------------------------

"I still think this is a premature engagement," said Shas'O To'var of the Sa'Cea Sept.  The other Shas'O standing across from him frowned.  Shas'O Jor'va of the Fior'la Sept disliked To'var's reluctance, but attributed to his Sept's slow and plodding ways.

"So we allow them to do what they did to Por'El?  To let those pirates get away with it?"

To'var itched his face.  Of course they couldn't let the scoundrels walk away, but the entire situation seemed off.  It was clear that Shas'El Por'el's Cadre had been violently attacked and Por'El himself was still in critical condition.  There was also proof that a group of Space Marines were involved with an Imperial Rogue Trader and that the combined force was present during the massacre.  It was just unclear as to what end the entire business had gone down, but that would take time that Jor'va was clearly not going to give him.

"Very well, Jor'va, we can proceed, but let us be careful.  We do not know their methods or their means, and we need to approach things with more than an air of caution."

Jor'va nodded, "You worry too much, Por'el.  These Imperial murderers will be brought to swift justice.  They will pay for what they have done ten-fold.  The Greater Good will prevail."

To'var said nothing as he stared at the scans again.  They might be victorious, but would the Greater Good really be served best with violence?  Only time would tell...

Pre-Game Thoughts: What.  The.  Frak?

Ummm... right, this is a strange Tau list.

No Broadsides.  Stealth Suits.  Kroot with Krootox.  Marker Drones.  Skyray.  Pathfinders with RAILGUNS?

I...  suppose he's trying a new list?

I don't know.  It doesn't seem like he can stand up to a shooting war as my mates will eventually knock down them down as there's only so far on the board they can run before I can catch them.

They don't really have the firepower to deal with my list, so I think I can just outlast them and slowly expand out to catch them as they scurry away.  The only really scary unit is the Crisis Suits, but with BS3, they have to get within 12" to really threaten me, and then after that, I can assault to win with pretty much any of my Space Wolves.

Hate to say it, but I think this one is in the bag.
Setup: Dawn of War (Night Fight: OFF)
Mission: Relic
Terrain: Ruins

Warlord:
Harry: FNP within 3" of objective;
Shas'O: 3d6 (!) Assault move

Psychic:
Harry: Forewarning (4+invul), Prescience (re-rolls to hit);
Jenna: Iron Arm (hells yeah!), Endurance;
Tau: Psy-what?
------------------------
To be Continued!
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Arguleon-veq

I think your right, its a very strange Tau list and although he has a decent amount of AP2 its not on anything durable enough to stand up to your fire-power. Will be nice to see how the Skyray performs, I really like them but havent seen them used yet.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Cammerz

Great start to the report BT, I've always liked the ones with Jenna and Jack.

The Tau list does look interesting and I also really want to see how the Skyray turns out, especially given that I've recently gone through the task of constructing my own.
Rail Rifles are particularly nice weapons, they didn't do too well in the one Tau game I've had so far but I blame that on the lack of markerlight support, my boys just kept missing. But S6 AP1 is amazing when it works.

A big horde of kroot is a new concept, and I'd love to see how it does. I think your independent characters and special weapons troopers will have trouble against the sheer number of sniper shots but in a straight-up firefight I can't see the kroot doing too well.
Except they won't be what you're shooting at, because he has other targets which are more important, and that will be your downfall I think.

But I'm looking forward to it, even though I sort of know the final outcome, new fluff will always make up for spoilers.

BigToof

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on May 18, 2013, 05:13:30 PM
I think your right, its a very strange Tau list and although he has a decent amount of AP2 its not on anything durable enough to stand up to your fire-power. Will be nice to see how the Skyray performs, I really like them but havent seen them used yet.

Hi Arguleon-veq,
I thought so too, but well, it's pretty set on killing MEQ hordes (which I do see fairly often).  And (Spoilers) it did do a number on my poor, poor Wolves who weren't ready for that kind of firepower.
The Skyray was interesting.  Let me know how it did once you see the rep.
If I remember correctly it did ok, but nothing that really knocked my socks off.  It's not that many points IIRC...

Quote from: Cammerz on May 18, 2013, 08:05:20 PM
Great start to the report BT, I've always liked the ones with Jenna and Jack.

The Tau list does look interesting and I also really want to see how the Skyray turns out, especially given that I've recently gone through the task of constructing my own.
Rail Rifles are particularly nice weapons, they didn't do too well in the one Tau game I've had so far but I blame that on the lack of markerlight support, my boys just kept missing. But S6 AP1 is amazing when it works.

A big horde of kroot is a new concept, and I'd love to see how it does. I think your independent characters and special weapons troopers will have trouble against the sheer number of sniper shots but in a straight-up firefight I can't see the kroot doing too well.
Except they won't be what you're shooting at, because he has other targets which are more important, and that will be your downfall I think.

But I'm looking forward to it, even though I sort of know the final outcome, new fluff will always make up for spoilers.

Thanks for the reply Cammerz!
I did like the fluff, hope that you didn't mind that Jenna didn't show up in the first bit.
The Kroot were actually sort of scary, and in some ways, this list was harder to deal with than I thought, as there's no "center" to the army.
I run towards one unit and everything kind of shifts away.
They have better range with their guns and I have to keep chasing things to do damage, but take a lot of shots in doing so.
Each unit they have is fragile, but it was hard (as you'll soon see) for me to really get all of my guns to bear on them.  One of the problems with a horde army I suppose.
Still working on the fluff for the battle, but hopefully will be out sooner than later :)

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

BigToof

And here's the rest of the rep!

Thanks for your patience.

Best,
-BT
----------------------------------

Pre-Game Thoughts: Relic is a hard mission to deal with when over half of your opponent's army can infiltrate.  If I'm not careful, my opponent could drop right on top of the relic and run away with it.  Also, my army is all foot (except Boxy, who as a Lemun Russ is actually perhaps the LEAST mobile aspect of my army) so if I want to grab that relic, I'll have to be as close as possible.  With that in mind, I put the ADL up to the edge of my deployment zone.  Unfortunately, that's almost all of the cover on my side, with a few bits in the corners.  My opponent has a lot of cover, with a large ruin on the left and more sparse cover on the right.

I win choice to go first or not, and given the Tau's reputation for pseudo-wiping armies (my own builds included), I decide to go first, as I'm pretty sure that I'm not going for a turn 5 relic grab.

When I start to put my models down, I realize that I may have been a bit too presumptuous as I could be hit in the back by outflankers if I'm not careful.  Luckily, I have a lot of models to help mitigate that fact.  I put down my 7 man Grey Hunter squad in front with Wolf Guard, and a pack of 10 each streched out to the sides.  The blob filters in the middle of this Grey Hunter sandwich with Harry and Jenna linked up with them.  Erik mans the Quadgun as usual.  I put Boxy in the mid-back field with 36" to the big ruin in case anyone gets any sneaky ideas.  Jack again hides behind Boxy in the usual IG method of avoiding being shot off the board.

My opponent surprises me a bit by putting tha plasma XV-8s and Commander to the left behind the big ruin and the other Commander with Drones to the right.  The Skyray hangs out to the far back.  The Kroot infiltrate forward to the left ruin and one of the Stealth Suit units (to my chagrin), can somehow hide behind a pack of rocks in the right corner, so they're up against the two edges of the board.  Which means that the Pathfinders and Kroot can outflank right up my backside if I'm not careful...  Everything else goes into reserve.  Hmm... Maybe going first was a bad idea?
My opponent fails to seize so away we go!

Picture Caption: Right.  So, are we mostly screwed or just generally screwed?

----------------------
Lady Jenna Mordheim shielded her eyes from the morning sun.  Things were not right.

"Jack, are you sure these are the coordinates?"

Her Seneschal, Jack Hawkins, checked his auspex.  Things were rather odd.  The Imperial distress call had all of the standard codes, but it was old.  Not that that fact mattered much to Jenna.  He glanced up at her.  She had a worried look on her angelic face, and Jack tried not to let his gaze wander.  But, it was something about her platinum hair and purple eyes that flashed every time she looked at him, that made his heart aflutter more than it should.  Especially during a mission that suddenly looked as if it had faulty intel.  It was a good thing they had brought the Space Wolves then.

"Lad, you've got visitors."

Jack looked behind him to see the hirsuite Rune Priest, "Mad Harry," behind him.  Bringing up his field glasses, he could make out the strange Xenos shapes in front of him.  They weren't there before, and for some reason, they weren't showing up on his Auspex.  That boded ill.

"Tau."

Jack frowned.  He disliked the Tau, if only that Jenna couldn't read their minds, so you couldn't exactly figure out what was going on.  But, there weren't that many of them, and the Xenos weren't firing.  Yet.

"Crew of the pirate vessel An'ne Bo'ni, throw down your weapons and be judged for your crimes!"

Jack looked at Jenna who had an eyebrow raised.  Given their rather extensive history, the potential crimes mentioned could be a rather lengthy list.  Better to make sure, and if it irked the Tau a bit, all the better.

He yelled back, "Could you be more specific?"

The Tau looked more enraged, if such a thing was possible, "You murderers know what you have done!  Now is the time to feel our wrath!"

Turn 1: SW/IG
---------------
Harry scanned the battlefield again.  Was that really all of them?  The Tau had guts, he'd give them that.  Or, it could be some kind of trickery.

"All right lads, if the fish-men want a fight, we might as well give it to them!  Missiles at the ready!  Fire!"
---------------

Prescience and Endurance go up on the Blob.

I decide not to move around too much, as I have targets in range (such as they are). Since the Plasma-Commander has T5/2+ armor, there's not much point in shooting Lascannons or Missiles at him.  The OTHER Commander though, is another story.  I fire my Long Fangs and Lascannons into him, hoping for a lucky missed LoS!, but no luck, as all I get is a downed Marker Drone.  Boxy and the Quadgun open up on the Kroot, but they go to ground, and I do very little damage to them.

Picture Caption: Man, I don't think that was very effective...

Turn 1: Tau
-------------
Shas'O Jor'va nodded to himself in satisfaction as the Gue'la and their Space Marine minions fired at them.  Any doubt regarding their innocence should be completely eradicated by now.  He checked to make sure that Tor'va hadn't been killed by an unlucky shot and then nodded to the Commander, who brought out his Marker Drones.

As the Markerights brought up a bevy of tactical data, Jor'va couldn't help but smile.  The Gue'la would pay for their arrogance, and so would it better the Greater Good.
------------------

The Tau promptly show me how to do this shooting thing, and jump everyone forwards.

The Drone Commander (who from this point forward, shall be named "Mark'O," so as he's not confused with his brother, the lesser known Po'lo) hits the Grey Hunters in front with four Markerlights and some Missiles that down a Grey Hunter.
The Plasma Quartet then open up and COMPLETELY annihilate the rest of the squad.

Wha...  What?

They then use their Markerlights to light up the Quadgun, which lets a trio of Seeker Missiles from the Skyray fire and hit the gun.  Without saves, the Quadgun is easily trashed.

Picture Caption: I...  Wha?

Turn 2: SW/IG
---------------
Erik Redclaw was not in a good mood.  The Xenos had destroyed his Quadgun, meaning that if he did nothing, he would only be able to watch a back-and-forth firefight from afar, with no chance to dip his Chainfist in the blood of his enemy.  It was a bit odd that the Spectre that often came to visit him was absent today, but no matter.  He knew the course that fate had put before him.  He glanced back at Harry who nodded in satisfaction.  Perhaps it would finally be the day he would die a glorious death and join the All-Father at the Table of Heroes.  Or it might be that he just had more bloody destruction ahead of him.  Either way, it seemed like a good day ahead.
----------------

I just lost two big units.  I think I need some payback.

Prescience and Endurance goes on the blob again.

I move Erik off his broken Quadgun and have him move forwards towards the Kroot.
The blob moves up to the front line.

Boxy puts down more shots and the Kroot go to ground again.
More shots hit the Mark'O Commander, but again, not too much damage.

Wow, I'm just not that effective at this range...

Picture Caption: Some retaliation is better than none, right?

Turn 2: Tau
----------------
As the huge group of Guardsmen moved forwards, Jack couldn't help but feel that something was wrong.
The Tau were not known for pointless attacks.  There was no way that they would let two of their esteemed warriors sit out, just asking to be assaulted and swept away.  No, there was something wrong...

And that was when the Long Fangs next to him exploded in a shower of shrapnel and body parts.  Jack ducked down behind the Lemun Russ ahead of him, and that was perhaps the only thing that kept his insides intact.  Glancing out, he saw the tell-tale red lights of Tau creeping in the far away rubble.  Hooting noises brought his attention to other Xenos moving in, pointing weapons at him.

He shook his head.  They put their head right into the noose.  All the Tau had to do was step back...
--------------------

Both Pathfinders and a group of Kroot come in.

As I still haven't done anything to the Positional Relay on my right flank, all three units can come off MY board edge.
Which means that they come in on the left flank, with the Kroot to screen for the Pathfinders.

The Commanders jump forward and unload a serious amount of firepower on the Grey Hunters on the left flank.  The Kroot help as well, and with some Markerlight help, they knock the Grey Huners down to just two members.
The Pathfinders open up next and focus their shots on... the Long Fangs.  Who no longer have Grey Hunters in front of them.

Oh.  No.

The Fangs go poof in a hail of Railgun madness.

Picture Caption: Oh man, I swear I'll never look at Pathfinders the same way again...
BigToof Points:

BigToof

Turn 3: SW/IG
---------------
Jack took a moment to survey the situation.  Things looked grim.  If the Guard could hold the center outpost, then they had a chance of keeping the situation something resembling intact.  If not well...  He wasn't sure what the Tau did to their prisoners, but he wasn't eager to find out.

"Guardsman!"

Jack looked over at the last pair of Grey Hunters left from the once great squad.  He was a bit surprised, as he expected them to look dejected, maybe even a little scared.  But that was silly, as one thing in the universe was true: The Astartes Knew No Fear.

The enormous men were almost jovial, sharing a last drink, before nodding at the horde of Xenos in front of them.

"Lad, those ones in the back are the troublemakers.  Think you can thin the front ranks a bit?"

Jack smirked and tapped on the Lemun Russ in front of him, which swiveled to face the Xenos.

"I think we can handle that."
----------------

Right, I've lost my Long Fangs now.  One Grey Hunter squad is neutered to pretty much nothing.

But, I've still got bite!

I decide durability is more important than lethality, so I pop up forboding for the 4++ save and layer that on with Endurance.

Jax comes in.  She deviates a bit, but is still in rapid fire range of that annoying Mark'O.

I turn Boxy to get to prime Kroot annihilating position.  Jack and his squad move into flamey positions.
Erik moves towards the Kroot hunkering down in the ruins.
I think for a while, but decide that I've waited long enough.
The blob goes forward, for better or worse, with the Grey Hunters on the right to screen for them.

Jax and the Blob barely wipe out the Marker Drones, who get shredded once Jax rapid-fires into them, but the Shas'O lives despite my best efforts to put a Lascannon through his head.
Boxy and Jack roast and shoot up all of the Kroot.

The last two Grey Hunters decide to go for glory and assault the closest Pathfinder squad.  One is lost to Overwatch, but the other one makes it in, tearing apart a few Pathfinders, who then are run down.
And then, he walks out, head held high, knowing he is moments away from being Railgun-ed to infinity and beyond, but it was worth it.  (I hope)

Picture Caption: Operation Lemming Stampede is a GO!

Turn 3: Tau
---------------
Jenna heard the explosion moments after she crossed over the Ageis Line.  Twisting her head back, she saw the ruins of the Lemun Russ and a trio of fading Xenos creatures.  Then, it hit her.  She couldn't feel Jack.

"JACK!!"

Her scream went out through the air and the psyche of all around her.  Jenna hadn't let herself go like that in some time, and the shocked and stunned reaction of those around him made her realize why.  She might have done just as much damage as the Tau.  Reigning in her emotions, she concentrated, focusing her will to a pinpoint and reaching out over the battlefield.

And there she found him.  Badly hurt, unconscious, but more importantly, ALIVE.

"Jack," she whispered, trying to hold in the tears.

Opening her vox, she spoke, "This... This is Captain Jenna.  Get Jack and the rest of the rear guard to safety.  We will deal with the situation here...  Whatever the cost..."
----------------

The Stealth Suit squad comes in and looks at the rear arc of Boxy...  Oh, that's not good.
And the last Kroot squad comes out within rapid fire range of my last Grey Hunter unit.
The Commanders leap out again.
The Kroot in the ruins try to get away from Erik, but they get bogged down a bit, even with their move through cover rolls.

More shots go in, this time focussing on the right Grey Hunter unit.
It does take fire from pretty much his entire army (including the last of his Seeker Missiles), but all of the Grey Hunters are wiped out.
The last Grey Hunter on the left flank is cleaned up by the Pathfinders.
Oh, and the Stealth Suit explodes Boxy in a mammoth shrapnel-palooza that wounds pretty much everyone in Jack's squad.  I make no saves, and the heavily wounded unit runs off the board.  (smarter than me, so it seems...)
The only upside is that the Marker'O (without any drones now) can't seem to hit Jax with his snap shots.

Picture Caption: And... there goes my backfield.

Turn 4: SW/IG
----------------
The horde of Guardmen ran into the broken remains of the Imperial outpost.  The ancient walls had long since crumbled, and there was more holes than rock facing their opposition.  But that mattered little.

Lady Jenna Mordheim scoured the floor, searching madly until she found it.  It looked like nothing really, an indented surface on an otherwise spartan floor.  But, she knew something that the Tau did not.  This structure was once made by the Death Corps of Krieg.  And they always had a backup.
---------------

Right, so...  What do I have left?
I still have Jax, Erik, and the Blob...  He still has most of everything.

Upside is that it's turn 4.

Again, Forboding and Endurance go off ok.
I move onto the Relic.
Jax finishes off the Shas'O.  I put some shots toward the Plasma'O, but it's not doing too much...
Erik charges in, takes no wounds from Overwatch and tears apart enough Kroot to make them run.

Picture Caption: Hoo ha!  Got the Relic!  Games in the bag now, right?

Turn 4: Tau
------------------
"Shas'O!  The readings are off the charts!"

Jor'va brought up the report to his main display and scowled in contempt.  There was a device of some sort hidden beneath the sandy dunes they fought around.  Although not detected on his first scans, there was clearly a massive buildup of energy that peaked near the threadbare structure the Gue'la were huddled around.  He didn't know what it was, but they had to be stopped.

"All Warriors, concentrate your fire on the Gue'la!  Let them see the true power of the Greater Good!"
-------------------

The Kroot rally, but are now really far from the Relic (good).
The Plasma-Star squad moves forward, as do the Kroot on my right.

Shots go down from the Stealth Suits, Kroot, Skyray and Plasma-Star, and suddenly, I'm hemorrhaging Guardsmen, mostly from the Kroot who are now BS5 (!)

I'm down a third or so of my guys.

This is not good.

Picture Caption: How...  How many guys did I just lose?

Turn 5: SW/IG
---------------
Harry frowned, looking at the strange panel that Lady Jenna had activated.  He didn't understand what was going on, but the intent was clear.

"Lass...  Is that some kind of..."

Jenna turned towards him with a steely look that he hadn't seen before.

"Modified Plasma Torpedo.  Hidden underneath the dunes.  One had been used already to level the fortress long ago.  But the other is still serviceable."

"Still...  Lass, are you saying that you're going to blow it up?"

Jenna frowned, "I...  I don't know Master Runesmith.  Jack's hurt, the situation is falling apart.  And this is a... final option.  I have to..."

She stopped for a moment, biting her lip and let herself tremble before responding, "I have to save everyone.  Even if it costs me everything."
-----------------

Forboding goes off again.  I decide to buff up Jenna (I mean, why not, as we have FNP from Harry's Warlord trait), and she goes up to S6/T6 (!)

Erik heads towards the Plasma'O on the off chance that he might be able to do something.

Jax also moves up to try and get shots off.

The blob bunkers down to try and keep ahold of the Relic.

I fire into the Plasma'O squad, but not too much damage is done, as he's just solid on his saves this turn.

Picture Caption: Is...  Is it over?

Turn 5: Tau
-------------
"Captain!  Close Quarters!"

Harry looked up at the shout.  The Guardsman must be wrong.  Tau fighting close quarters?  He'd see an Ork doing ballet first.  But, he reacted in time to dodge the incoming flying kick from an enormous armored suit.  As Harry stood, he realized that he only came up to the thing's shoulders.  It was fancy-looking he had to admit, but he had seen better.

"Face me, Champion of the Gue'la!  I am Jor'va, of the Sept Fio'la.  I am your death."

As the Tau spoke, it activated some kind of humming device on it's gauntlet that shimmered and formed an energy sheath that seemed to split the very air around it.

That... looked impressive, Harry had to admit.  Still, he couldn't let himself look bad in front of a girl.

"Right, Tau, that's nice and all.  But, you forgot..."

There was a tearing sound, and Harry looked behind him to see the enormous, amazonion form of Lady Jenna, pumped to the gills with psychic power.

"Master Runesmith, I apologize for the directness, but I believe this is the... person who ordered the attack on Jack.  I am afraid I must take matters into my own hands.  Please watch the arming device until we are done."

Harry opened and closed his mouth a few times, but Jenna strode past him, staff at the ready.  She wasn't sure she could even hurt the Tau, but she had to try.
----------------------

The Tau realize that it's turn 5, and I'm only hanging as I have the Relic.

The Plasma'O and his squad move up.  I smell an assault?

More shots go down from everyone, and my Guardsmen are down to about 10 or so, as I finally manage some saves, despite the overwhelming firepower.

The Plasma'O charges in and he challenges.

I have to think about this.  I think he has the Onager Gauntlet, which will Donkey Punch Harry half-way to Sunday.  My only other chance is to try and hold out with another challenger, but I really want my Power Axe Sarges to go to work.  So that leaves... Jenna.

Hmm... Uh... I suppose I can make up fluff if she dies horribly right?

But, I have little to fear, as Jenna takes the Onager hit with her FNP (!), but doesn't do anything back.  Meanwhile, my sort-of hidden Sarges do their choppy work and even though I don't kill any of the suits, they take enough wounds to fall back.  I don't catch them, but that's alright, as they fall back right in front of Erik.

Picture Caption: When did Tau get this good?

Turn 6: SW/IG
---------------
Jor'va scowled as he and his Crisis Suits fell back.  That annoying giant Gue'la had kept him from doing anything meaningful.  They were really getting on his nerves.  They were clearly outclassed, outgunned, and were whittled down to only a fraction of their original force.  Any sane commander would be retreating.  But, one thing you could never count on with the Gue'la was sanity.  That was when he heard a familiar sound.  It took him a few moments to realize what it was, and then he looked up.

It was one of the Space Marines.  Just one.  Moving towards them with a kind of patient, plodding gait.  One hand held an armored shield and the other was a massive gauntlet with an enormous chainsaw on it.

A chainsaw.  Jor'va blinked a few times to make sure he wasn't going mad.  How did this creature think he had a chance of harming him?
----------------

I use the same combo of Iron Arm and Forboding.  This time, Jenna goes up to S5/T5, but that's alright.  Hopefully things will be over soon, and he can't assault this turn anyway (I hope).

I try to get some damage in with Jax and the blob, who try and whittle down the Plasma'O squad, but unfortunately, my rolls just aren't with me.

Erik charges in, once again, ignoring the few overwatch wounds, and challenges the Plasma'O.  The Shas'O decides to accept, and hits Erik with the Gauntlet.  It skips through the shield, but Erik has ETERNAL WARRIOR.  My opponent is a bit shocked, but Erik does his work and shaves off two wounds from the Shas'O.  The squad panics and falls back even more, taking them almost out of firing range.

Picture Caption: Is it over now?

Turn 6: Tau
--------------
Erik Redclaw watched the Tau stumble away from him.  It wasn't blood per se, but the howls and cries from the Tau leader at least let him know that some damage had been done.  He looked down at his Chainfist approvingly.  And then down with some surprise at the enormous tear in the center of his chest.  The Xenos had thought that plunging his fist through his armor would have killed him, but that was for lesser creatures.

He had alreadly lost one of his hearts already.  And it would take more than that to kill him now.  He heard a tinkle of a familiar laugh and looked over at the spectre of his long-dead sister.  She seemed fainter than usual.  Maybe... maybe things were indeed changing.
------------------

Realizing that they HAVE to get rid of the Relic now, all guns turn towards my much smaller blob, and fire.

I make some rolls, and in the end, I have less than a half dozen guys where my once mighty blob stood.  But, one of them has the Relic, so that's enough.

Assuming that is... that there's not another round...

Picture Caption: SO.  MUCH. DAKKA!

And we roll the dice... and thankfully...

This game ENDS.

Result: Space Wolf/IG Victory!

Post-Game Thoughts: I have never felt like a bullet sponge before this game.  Man, oh man.  Luckily, I pulled up some decent psyker powers, otherwise I'd be in real trouble.  I lost so much of my army, and even though I did some damage, I think this is the worst beating that Jenna and Harry have gotten yet.  Out of my 80 models, only about 10 survived. 
That's really not a good survival ratio.

I think that's because it's one thing to play the Tau, but it's an entirely different thing to play AGAINST them.

The Plasma'O and Mark'O were a scary combination, and I have never seen Grey Hunters just wiped out like that before.  The Stealth Squad trick was very annoying, and those Railgun Pathfinders were eerily effective.  The Skyray's first turn wipeout of my Quadgun didn't help things either, and those two Markerlights just lasted the whole game, as I just couldn't devote any shooting to take care of it.

But, the scariest thing in the army was the Kroot.  With BS5 or more, they just took care of business, taking down Grey Hunters and putting down an amazing number of wounds on my blob.  I considered assaulting them, but couldn't risk losing my formation or position.  I was hoping that since they were staying right around 24", that I might not lose so many guys, but since he had Krootox Riders, he could technically put wounds down up to 48"...  That's pretty good, considering everything.

As for what DID work in my list, I think the Guard did well.  Jack and Boxy did good backfield work, but what can you do against a Fusion Blast to the rear and the subsequent epic explosion?  Likewise the blob held after being lit up for three turns.  I shudder to think what would happen if the game went on to turn 7.  Jax also did alright, but it was mostly that nothing was really trying that hard to take her out.

I... think I really need to rethink my list, as Tau are getting more and more popular, and even though he wasn't trying to build against my specific list, I can see that Wolf Guard just aren't cutting it anymore.

So... suggestions?  Any help is appreciated!
----------------------------

"Commander!"

Jor'va looked up from the flashing warning signs that were lighting up all over his screens.  One of his Shas'Ui was pointing at the very few Gue'la left on the field.  The enormous one that he had somehow not felled was lifting up a flashing device.

"Commander Jor'va of Clan Fio'la.  I am Captain Jenna Mordheim.  As you can tell, I have armed a weapon capable of annihilating us all.  I believe that we should talk."

Jor'va snarled, "Talk?  TALK?!  You dare insult me with your words?  Do you plan to give us the same honeyed words that you used to betray Por'El?"

Jenna paused and handed the device to Harry.

"Por...  You knew Por'El?  He was a friend.  A dear one at that."

Jor'va snorted.

Jenna walked forward, ignoring the cries of her men and stopped out in the open.

"I knew Por'El.  I cared about him.  He shared me stories of his people and did with mine.  You do not trust my words, and I understand that.  But, I know you trust your instincts."

Jenna concentrated and Jor'va watched with some surprise as she shrank down to less than half her original height. 

Throwing her staff to the ground, she said, "Kill me if you must, but, ask yourself this:  Do you act for the glory of the Greater Good, or your own?"

------------------

Jack Hawkins moaned as consciousness slowly came back.  He felt something rustle up against him, and smiled as he felt a warm, feminine touch against his cheek.

"Jenna?"

"Not quite."

Jack opened his eyes, and winced at the pain.  Both, at the sight and his injuries.

Alyssa Jax sighed, rolling her eyes.

"Now, now, Jack, I'm not that ugly."

Jack closed his eyes and took a few harsh breaths.  By the Emperor how everything hurt.  Why was Jax here?  What was going on?  Where was...

"Jenna!"

Jack tried to sit up and then felt a corona of firey pain all across his body. He felt firm hands grip him and help him lie down again.

"Jack, you never change.  The Captain will be fine.  She's...  She's with the Tau."

Jack gasped, "Captured?  We...  We have to organize a rescue party."

He heard Jax's laugh, "No, no you big goob.  She's taking them on a tour of the ship."

"Wha...  What?"

Jax snorted, "I wouldn't have believed it myself.  You never did tell me what you liked about her, Jack, but now...  Now I think I understand.  But, don't get so comfortable in here.  We'll all need you back in shape sooner than later."

Jack heard her familiar whistle as she left, and let himself relax.  What did he miss?  And did he really want to know?
BigToof Points:

The Man They Call Jayne

That was. . .just. . .just. . .owwww. . .

So much death and pain and. . .owwww. . .
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Cammerz

Well you won, so look on the bright side, but yeah that was painful.
But I can't really see Tau armies doing too well at Relic, although kroot might be the exception, if he'd infiltrated them really close to it then maybe they could have stolen it very early on (I once used infiltrating cultists to land on a relic turn one and my opponent had to spend the rest of the battle trying to shoot at the unit whilst evading my big spikey marines and khorne daemons).

I'm not really sure whether you could have played that differently to better effect but at least you held the relic at the end, against all odds I might add.

As for the fluff, very good as usual, although I don't personally remember the Por'El character if he was in a previous report.

So, this was fun, I look forward to the next instalment, whichever army that includes,

Job's a good un!

Chicop76

Quote from: Cammerz on May 25, 2013, 11:24:02 AM
But I can't really see Tau armies doing too well at Relic, although kroot might be the exception, if he'd infiltrated them really close to it then maybe they could have stolen it very early on (I once used infiltrating cultists to land on a relic turn one and my opponent had to spend the rest of the battle trying to shoot at the unit whilst evading my big spikey marines and khorne daemons).

I'm not really sure whether you could have played that differently to better effect but at least you held the relic at the end, against all odds I might add.

As for the fluff, very good as usual, although I don't personally remember the Por'El character if he was in a previous report.

So, this was fun, I look forward to the next instalment, whichever army that includes,

Job's a good un!

I thought so too. It forces me to move my whole army to that relic. It turns into a rapid fire orgy fest. I never touch the relic, but you know the other player doesn't get it either. However it is possible for me to get the relic if the game last long enough.

My new list I can just infiltrate on to the relic. I am planning on using a skysheild pad. My ideal is to grab it on hold out on the pad. I can place my pad 3" away from the relic which my infiltrating kroot will use. +4 invulnerable saving kroot. Eat that lol.

BigToof

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on May 25, 2013, 10:12:56 AM
That was. . .just. . .just. . .owwww. . .

So much death and pain and. . .owwww. . .

Hi Jayne,
Nicely put.
I really, really, really did feel like a bullet sponge that game.  If I had even a little less in terms of saves or worse psychic powers, I would be a little green smear across the floor.
Tau really can surround you if you're not careful.
Wow.  I guess the days of foot SW is over?

Job's a good un!

Hi Cammerz,
Thanks for the reply!
I really did like the fluff for this one, only if it expands on Jenna and Jax (and of course Jack).

Por'el is from the previous Lady Jenna game where they fought Chaos and Tau (Tau... didn't do so well).

I was trying to get a link to  a previous game and threw it in.  Did it feel too forced?

Tau have PLENTY of firepower, and they were moments from shooting me off the relic.
Never before have I felt the tic-tock of the game clock and wanted just to survive!

I hope to make some changes, but I worry that foot SW/IG may be ending...

What this will do for the fluff???

Quote from: Chicop76 on May 25, 2013, 02:28:51 PM

Job's a good un!

I thought so too. It forces me to move my whole army to that relic. It turns into a rapid fire orgy fest. I never touch the relic, but you know the other player doesn't get it either. However it is possible for me to get the relic if the game last long enough.

My new list I can just infiltrate on to the relic. I am planning on using a skysheild pad. My ideal is to grab it on hold out on the pad. I can place my pad 3" away from the relic which my infiltrating kroot will use. +4 invulnerable saving kroot. Eat that lol.

Hi Chicop,
Interesting idea on the Skyshield.
Haven't seen it much in use, but it sounds interesting, though, having anything that close to the relic worries me, and Kroot really aren't all THAT deadly until you boost up their BS to scary numbers.
Tell me how it works out for you if you did try it though!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points: