News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Loadout for Death Cult Assassins/Crusaders

Started by Waaaghpower, May 08, 2013, 09:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waaaghpower

So, with the 6th edition ruling of power weapons beibg different depending on what weapon they are, that opens new doors for Death Cult Assassind and Crusaders. (I'm referring to the Sisters of Battle version, if I recall they are pretty similar to the Grey Knights ones.)
Any changes or suggestions? This is assuming there is a 10 man squad.
4 Crusaders with Power Axes (They are already I1, so the bonus strength is actually an improvement over the last edition.)
2 Assassins with a Power Sword and Power Axe
2 Assassins with a Power Sword and Power Maul
2 Assassins with a Power Axe and Power Maul.

The idea is, I always have 4 of each weapon type. Mauls give high strength (4 +2,) for popping rear Armor on tanks if they have to, killing Monstrous Creatures with bad Armor, etc. Power Swords give AP3 at initiative for killing MEQs, and the Axes give AP2 and a slight strength boost. Obviously, the crusaders will always just habe I1, so I figured that any other weapon would be wasted on them and the AP2 +1 strength would help them considerably.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Chicop76

To save time read this link http://secondsphere.org/index.php?topic=789.msg15112;topicseen#msg15112

Anyway I think swords and mauls on assassins is the way to go. While you have axes on crusaders.

i am thinking of doing a guard/ sister alliance. Since sisters lack pschic powers I was thinking of taking a guard psychic which biomancy, or telepathy could really help out the assassin squad.

DEF Knight

my thoughts have been straying towards a guard/sister force recently, but the big issue with taking psykers is that it is incredibly unfluffy in my opinion- I don't think Sisters would be caught dead working with a witch, even one that was so-called "sanctioned".

That said it would be hell on wheels. Stick them with Uriah Jacobus to get FnP and +1 attack, stack psykers on top of that...

Chicop76

Quote from: DEF Knight on May 09, 2013, 03:41:55 AM
my thoughts have been straying towards a guard/sister force recently, but the big issue with taking psykers is that it is incredibly unfluffy in my opinion- I don't think Sisters would be caught dead working with a witch, even one that was so-called "sanctioned".

That said it would be hell on wheels. Stick them with Uriah Jacobus to get FnP and +1 attack, stack psykers on top of that...

I stoped caring about fluff the moment The Grey Knights killed sisters and saoked their armour to kill daemons. They could had simply had the sisters aid them in the fight.

I do agree that it is a bit unfluffy for me to take a psyker, but hey Saint Celestine should be a witch.

DEF Knight

Saint Celestine is a living incarnation of a saint, she is, in terms of fluff, nothing remotely like a psyker. If you're interested more in her there's a story arc about another living saint, this time of Saint Sabbatt in Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts book series that is utterly, utterly amazing. What she does is in no way related to warpcraft- in fact the saints are anathema to the touch of chaos. They are the purest manifestations of the divine touch of the Emperor imaginable, to call her a witch is a heresy beyond heresies!

anyway, the thing to think about is also the rest of your detachment- you can only take 1 hq, but only have to take 1 troop, on your secondary. so would you go primary sisters to get celestine and jacobus, but have to deal with more Sororitas squads (whom all are vying for the same limited faith pool) or go primary Guard?

regardless, i would be tempted to stick with power sword/maul combo, as that other thread Chicop linked mentioned. I6 is too high to waste on a power axe when the only time you'll need it you'll be facing enemies you REALLY need that initiative for.

Waaaghpower

Hmm... The problem is, I don't want to be caught with my pants down if somebody charges me with a 2+ armor save. How's this?
4x Sword/Maul
2x Sword/Axe

It decreases my Axe count by two and makes sure everyone has a sword. Meh? Is this really any better?
(Fluff wise, I also liked the idea of a bunch of assorted gear between assassins, it just seemed neat.)

Arguleon-veq

I dont see the point in swords on them at all, Mauls easily give you the weight of high strength attacks to overcome a 3+ save, especially when you consider the high toughness monsters with a 3+ save. Then you have axes to bust 2+ saves.

I would go with full Axes/Mauls combo.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Waaaghpower

The problem is, I play against quite a few Marine players, and mathhammering it out...
Against T4 3+ (Assuming it hits.)
Sword causes .5 Wounds
Maul causes .27 Wounds
Against T5 3+
Sword causes .33 Wounds
Maul causes .22 Wounds
Against T6 3+
Sword causes .17 Wounds
Maul causes .17 Wounds
Against T7 3+
Sword causes .17 Wounds
Maul causes .11 Wounds

T8+, the sword cannot wound.
In other words, there is no point with the exception of ultrahigh toughness models that the Maul will do better than the sword against 3+. The problem being that the swird functions worse against any other save type.

Arguleon-veq

Thats why the maul is a much better option, it isnt that much worse than the sword against 3+ but is so much better against everything else.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chicop76

the sword is better vs armour 4 and lower really. Most armies are armour 4-3. however the maul is good against non marine and sister armies. since evryone seems to really like the +3 save it's best to have swords.

I run 5 crusaders and 5 deathculh. as a counter striking unit it works really well. as anything else i usually down to just my deathcult most of the time. if your unit survives a bit your axes from the crusaders will deal with terminators.

armour 2 shouldn't be a problem with sisters anyway due to the huge melta spam, exorcist anyone. if you have to fight terminatores my crusaders have pulled out for me every time, with my deathcult taking hits over crusaders.

However i think gearing them to contend to something that you cross 20% of the time instead of 80% of the time is not really worth doing so.

I see your point Arguleon-veq. It's just if I face term heavy armies etc a lot. Than I would suggedt your load out.

That being said you have to figure out if you doing all death cult, or a mixture of deathcult and crusaders. in my opinion 3-4 deathcult is really enough to stay locked and not be shot up next turn. 5 or more you tend to wipe out units snd met rapid fire death.