News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Is this possible? (fluff question)

Started by Waaaghpower, April 18, 2013, 07:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waaaghpower

So, what's stopping the Space Marines from infusing geneseed with Ogyrn soldiers and giving them oversized terminator suits? Wouldn't that be the unstoppable killing machine of the galaxy? I mean sure, it'd be a rather dim squad even with mental enhancements, but what's stopping an unorthodox chapter from creating them?
Even on the field, these guys would be as hard to kill as freaking Hive Tyrants.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Wargamer

First off, Terminator Armour wouldn't fit an Ogryn. ;)

Secondly, it's likely that the geneseed would reject someone so blatantly "impure" as an Ogryn; it was made with pureblood Humanity in mind.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Chicop76

just from what i re call ogryns and ratlings are looked upon as mutants, genetic freaks, and not the ideal human. What i gather about marines is they want the ideal human to be space marines. It would be like Hitler at the olympic saying black people are awesome in the olympics and they would make great soilders for us. I think it gives off the wrong message for what they are trying to do.

personally I would do so, due to having the ultimate soilder. Since ogryn are known not to be brighjt do you really want them as space marines.

Waaaghpower

I still think that a 14 foot armored beast of kill would be the ultimate warrior, smart or not.
After all, Space Marines grow about 30% when marinisized (from 6 to 8 feet,) and Ogyrn's are about 9 feet tall. Add the extra bulk from their armor (modified power armor, possibly,) you've got a soldier bigger than a dreadnought.
I really wish that Space Marines weren't such a boys club... maybe someone should tell Chaos about them. (Probably Khorne or Nurgle. Slaanesh Ogyrns would be... disturbing.)
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Chicop76

Quote from: Waaaghpower on April 18, 2013, 08:17:06 PM
I still think that a 14 foot armored beast of kill would be the ultimate warrior, smart or not.
After all, Space Marines grow about 30% when marinisized (from 6 to 8 feet,) and Ogyrn's are about 9 feet tall. Add the extra bulk from their armor (modified power armor, possibly,) you've got a soldier bigger than a dreadnought.
I really wish that Space Marines weren't such a boys club... maybe someone should tell Chaos about them. (Probably Khorne or Nurgle. Slaanesh Ogyrns would be... disturbing.)

i can see chaos doing it, but i don't think chaos can even make space marines. if I re call they have to currupt good space marines to up their ranks.

Charistoph

Quote from: Chicop76 on April 18, 2013, 09:41:17 PM
i can see chaos doing it, but i don't think chaos can even make space marines. if I re call they have to currupt good space marines to up their ranks.

Why can't they?  They didn't loose their apothecaries.  And they have access to the same equipment they have on the road, which is enough to work with.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Chicop76

Quote from: Charistoph on April 18, 2013, 11:06:16 PM

Why can't they?  They didn't loose their apothecaries.  And they have access to the same equipment they have on the road, which is enough to work with.

I just have to re read the fluff that's all. the imperium themsleves are limited on what they can bring and most new technology is old technology thet humans don't even understand how it works.

chaos will be worst off since they have even more limited resorces, unless x daemons decide to actually help them which if they do won't work the way they would like it to work.

Dra'Tuisisch-Novae

Considering gene seed won't even work in completely genetically pure human women, I think it's... very unlikely it would work in something like an Ogryn.

... RATLING SCOUTS! >_>
[Bender]I'm back baby![/Bender]

DEF Knight

not only is it likely to have the aforementioned rejection issues, but you don't want your indestructible supersoldiers that stupid. Let alone tactical or logistical issues, in fluff ogryns have always been ridiculously easy for Chaos to corrupt for a multitude of reasons- the Imperium would basically just be handing over the keys to Chaos at that point.

Lord Sotek

Quote from: Waaaghpower on April 18, 2013, 08:17:06 PM

Wrong. Fabius Bile reverse engineered the process, and most of the Legions contract out to him to create new recruits. This is a big part of why Fabius is such a big deal amongst the legions of Chaos and has such power and influence. Renegade space marine chapters can generally continue to recruit members unless their geneseed is corrupted to the point of nonfunctionality. Furthermore, several of the Ultramarines books include the Iron Warriors developing processes to steal loyalist geneseed and use it with a mixture of science, alchemy, and Chaos magic to create new Chaos Marines.

That said, Ogryn Marines are nonsense. Geneseed has a fairly high rejection rate even in the genetically purest, peak specimens of humanity the Astartes choose as their neophytes, and it is specifically designed only to work for them.

I am utterly flabbergasted that people will seriously put forwards ideas like Ogryn Marines when they would dismiss far more plausible variations like female marines out of hand....
Quote from: Saulus on March 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

LinnScarlett

Quote from: Lord Sotek on April 20, 2013, 03:43:47 PM

That said, Ogryn Marines are nonsense. Geneseed has a fairly high rejection rate even in the genetically purest, peak specimens of humanity the Astartes choose as their neophytes, and it is specifically designed only to work for them.

I am utterly flabbergasted that people will seriously put forwards ideas like Ogryn Marines when they would dismiss far more plausible variations like female marines out of hand....

You forget, Isaac, Ogryn's have dangling bits *rolls eyes* so they have 'male tissue', so its all legit!

Do excuse my sarcasm. I am with Isaac on this one though: WTH? Aside from all the fluff reasons, do you realise what a menace you'd be creating? An menace that is already nigh unstoppable (and why only Catachan bother using them in their regiments, and even that goes horrifically wrong most of the time...). *shakes head* It feels like one gigant idiot-ball moment waiting to bite us in the ass. Ogryn are bad enough as they are.  :facepalm001:
I need more time to do the Emperor's work!

You can read my stuff on 2S's Fluff and Stories.

Or, you can come visit my author page on Archive of Our Own. WARNING: NC-17