News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Combat Patrol Lists - Black Templar and Tau Empire [600pts]

Started by Narric, December 07, 2012, 11:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

I'm finally getting a chance to get back into the gaming scene of warhammer.

I'm playing at GW Birmingham against I gentleman I only know by name, playing a 600pt combat Patrol game.

Limitations:
600pts
1 HQ
2 Troops (not sure if 2+ of the top of my head)
0-1 each of Elites, Fast Attack, Heavy Support

I'm thinking I can't run into too much trouble. I know I won't be facing double Vindicators (which one man has done to me before at this Points level), but a Land Raider from a Space Marine player could happen.

Here are the two lists I can do using the minis I kept out of storage when moving up here.

Black Templars
Marshall - Master Crafted thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Artificer Armour, Adamantium Mantle, Bionics, Bolt Pistol, Frag & Krak Grenades - 204pts

Techmarine - Combi-melta, Bionics, Artificier Armour, Meltabombs, Auspex - 115pts

Crusader Squad Lambda
5x Initiates, 5x Neophytes
Initiates - Boltguns, Frag & Krak Grenades, 1x Missile Launcher
Neophytes - Bolt Pistols and CCWs
155pts

Crusader Squad Delta
6x Initiates - Boltguns, Frag & Krak Grenades, 1x Missile Launcher
124pts

Total = 598pts

Tau Empire
Shas'o Commander - Airbursting Fragmentation Projector, Burst Cannon, Shield Generator, Hard-wired Blacksun Filter, Hard-wired Multi-tracker, Stim Injector - 121pts

Crisis Shas'vre - Twin-linked Plasma Rifle, Burst Cannon, Hard-wired Blacksun Filter, Hard-wired Multi-tracker, Hard-wired Drone Controller, Shield Drone - 93pts

Fire Warrior Team Yanoi
Shas'ui, 6x Shas'la
Shas'ui - Bonding Knife, Hard-wired Blacksun Filter, Markerlight
98pts

Fire Warrior Team Sha'is
Shas'ui, 5x Shas'la
Shas'ui - Bonding Knife, Hard-wired Blacksun Filter, Markerlight
88pts

Pathfinder Team
Shas'ui, 5x Shas'la
Shas'ui - Bonding Knife, Hard-wired Blacksun Filter
1x Rail Rifle
Devilfish - Seeker Missile, Disruption Pod, Flechette Discharger
200pts

Total = 600pts

So thoughts and feedback?

The Black Templar list is very limited, as i only have three more models for that army. Anything for this is going to be suggestions for future expansion.

The Tau are a bit more versatile, but I was mostly focusing on number of Markerlights. Hopefully it pays off.

Arguleon-veq

I often play with a very similar rule set but its 0-1 HS or FA. I have a lot of these 600 point games in the batrep board. I dont think either list really cuts it to be honest. If you could tell us what models you have to be work with im sure we can tune the list/lists up though.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Narric

As I said for the BT list, thats essentailly all I have. The Tau list on the other hand is like this:

• 1x Broadside - Smart Missile System. Conversion from two Crisis suit kits
  • 5x Crisis Suits - 2x Fusion Blaster and Missile Pod, 1x Plasma rifle and Fusion Blaster, 1x Flamer, Burst Cannon and Shield Generator
  • 2x Commanders - 1st has Airbursting Frag Projector, Shield Generator and Burst Cannon. 2nd has Twin-linked Plasma Rifles, A Special Weapon of inditerminable use, and a Shield Drone built into the arm
  • 6x XV25 Stealth Suits - standard Burst Cannon loadout.
  • Crisis Suit - Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod
  • Ethereal - 2x Shield Drones
  • Crisis Suit - Flamer, Burst Cannon, Shield Generator
  • Stealth Team (3) - Visped Stingwings count as
  • Fire Warriors (13) - Pulse Rifles
  • Kroot Carnivore Squad (12 Kroot, 4 Hounds, 5 Kroot/Hounds which are Termaguants, 2 Kroot which are modded LotR Orcs) - Shaper, Armour
  • Pathfinder Team (6 + Devilfish) - 1x Rail Rifle, Devilfish (Seeker Missile)
  • Piranha - Fusion Blaster

So thats what I presently have.

The Man They Call Jayne

I think the rules for Combat Patrol disallow 2+ saves, weapons over S8. Models with more than 2 wounds, vehicles with more than a total of 33 AV and I think Flyers now.

Unless you are just having a 600 point game with a modified FOC?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on December 08, 2012, 12:49:37 AM
I think the rules for Combat Patrol disallow 2+ saves, weapons over S8. Models with more than 2 wounds, vehicles with more than a total of 33 AV and I think Flyers now.

Unless you are just having a 600 point game with a modified FOC?
The second. Just calling it combat patrol becuase of the points level.

The Man They Call Jayne

Ah. In that case I would definatly take the Broadside. Works against any armour he might bring, and can ID most infantry you are likely to run into.

Squeeze as much Plasma and Melta onto your suits as you can. Then load up with fire warriors.

Against Marines a few weeks ago at 500 points i tabled him with 2 squads of 12 Firewarriors and a single Helios Squad. If you can use the Piranha to represent a Tetra, do that, and then just focus on 1 unit at a time until it is dead.

Or if you want a big vehicle, Take a Plasmahead instead of the Broadside and mow down his troops like they werent there.

Narric

So I need a list that looks like this (based on my collection)

Commander - Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster
Crisis Suit - Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod
Fire Warriors (7) + (6)
Piranha
Braodside

Can that all be squeezed into 600pts?

I won't be using Tetres. If it was in the codex, I would/may have, but as its an IA unit, I won't be using it any time soon.

You're also assuming I can fix up a hammerhead in time to look like a Plasmahead. Again, not codex, so not gonna be used.

The Man They Call Jayne

I personally am not a Piranha fan. For the points you could take a second Crisis suit with the other one and slap on a Shield Drone or two.

Narric

I think I'll take two battlesuits then. Fusion Blaster/Missile Pod. I could feild them as a Bodyguard for the Commander aswell.

I assume Pathfinders aren't that useful at this level? I could've sworn Rafe was praising them for everything not to longer ago.

I'll get a list up shortly.

The main annoyance is the Battlesuits and Broadside are all the wrong colour. I'm recycling my older battlesuits into my new army.

The Man They Call Jayne

Personally I find them too squishy, and the mandatory devilfish is a big points drain at lower points levels. But thats me.

Narric

Game went well. Relic mission.

Played against gunline/infantry Imperial Guard, so all that anti-tank was wasted. Broadside was blown away in opponents first turn, by Lascannon fire. Commander and Crisis Suits killed half a squad of Infantry, who were saved by cover saves. Fire Warriors did ok, but the Markerlights were a wasted choice.

I think the Piranha would have been a good choice, with my AFP Commander as HQ. I think Battlesuits with Plasma Rifle and Burst Cannon would have been best.

Also saw another game Between Tau and Dark Angels. Itwas a draw.

Tau player fielded: Commander suit with SMS and Plasma Rifle, Crisis Suit with Plasma rifle and Burst Cannon, Broadside, Two squads of Fire Warriors and Stealth Suits.
Dark Angels player fielded: Tactical Squads, Biker, Dreadnought, and Commander (iirc)

The dreadnought did the most damage it seems, and the Broadside took out a single Tactical marine. Fire Warriors killed a Biker in combat. :P

I think if I go again, I'll use this list

Commander (el) - AFP, Burst Cannon, Targetting Array, Hard-wired Multi-tracker, Hard-wired Blacksun filter
Crisis Suit - Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targeting Array, Hard-wired Multi-tracker, Hard-wired Blacksun filter
2x Fire Warrior Team (8 + 2 Gun Drones) - Hard-wired Blacksun filter, Bonding Knife
Piranha - Fusion Blaster

As luck would have it, I can swap-out the Burst Cannon of the AFP'El so all I need is replacement weapons. That will add some versatility to the commander. Once he has the option to take a Fusion Blaster/Plasma Rifle, I may replace the Crisis Suit with a squad of Stealth Suits.

Had a quick look at what I could do with my current collection, that maximised on the number of models on the field. This is what I came up with.

HQ
Commander (El) - AFP, Fusion Blaster,Targetting Array, Hrad-wired (Blacksun Filter, Multi-tracker), Bonding Knife - 105pts

Elites
Stealth Team (5) - Burst Cannons, Blacksun Filters, Shas'vre (Bonding Knife) - 180pts

Troops
Fire Warrior Team (8 + 2 Gun Drones) - Shas'ui (Bonding Knife, Hard-wired Blacksun filter, Photon & EMP Grenades, Hard-wired Drone Controller) - 122pts
Fire Warrior Team (8 + 2 Gun Drones) - Shas'ui (Bonding Knife, Hard-wired Blacksun filter, Photon & EMP Grenades, Hard-wired Drone Controller) - 122pts

Fast Attack
Vespid Strain (Leader + 3) - 70pts

Total = 599pts

I think this allows allows me to field the highest number of effective odels at this level. The Commander can join the Stealth Team, and target enemy Tanks, and infantry. Stealth Suits could potentially aid in taking out low armoured vehicles. Anything with a Rear armour of 10 or 11 will have to worry about being glanced to death. The Fire Warriors hold objectivesand target light infantry, or hold the line. Vespid act as asort of shock troop. though I wish their guns had a higher range, or a greater number of shots, it at least gives me some AP3. Also, they have a fair number of attacks on the charge. 2attacks each at initiative, with a 3rd at I10 from Hammer of Wrath. Obviously, this would be used after weakening a unit with ranged weapons.