News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

question?

Started by Chicop76, May 28, 2013, 04:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicop76

Today I did two games 1850 nids vs tau and 1850 daemons vs guard. Needless to say two melee armies vs two shooty armies.

Well in the course of the game a few questions came up. Also some really messed up tactics. This was my first time against new Tau and 3rd time nids since 6th. I expected to do ok or lose, but I noticed some major flaws in the Tau army

Here is the questions?

1. Do spore mines give vps?
2. Can spore mines claim objectives in scouring?
3. When a spore mind drifts into a unit. Does it explode 2" out or when it actually hits a unit.
4. What are the dimensions to a spore drop pod? Can it blos to a Doom?
5. Can you cast psychic powers in combat?
6. Can you cast psychic powers while locked in combat to another combat locked in combat? For example a swarmlord is locked in combat with a riptide and decides to use enfeeble on the riptide, and a tervigon decides to enfeeble the same riptide locked in battler with a swarmlord again lowering it's toughness to 4 which the swarmlord can wound on 2's or smash for the instant kill. Also said swarmlord uses enhance on a trygon locked in combat with another riptide. Is all or any of the example leagal?
7. Does enfeeble stack? Does it stack with rad grenades, darkstrider ability, etc.
8. With a leman russ if it moves can it fire more than the ordance weapon. Is it one ordance and one other weapon at full bs are they all snap shots?
9. With krell does he auto look out sir or is it still a +2?
10. When assaulting with fleet through difficult terrain is 3d6 and take the lowest and you can re roll any of the 3 dice per fleet?
11. Can you cast psychic powers gtg?
12. Can you cast witchfire while gtg? If so whouldit be with snap shots?
13. If a Tau unit is locked in combat and you decide to assault in the same combat with a tau unit with 6", can it fire overwatch to the unit assaulting the unit that is locked in combat?
14. If playing nightfight n is beyond 24" do you get stealth and shrouding?
15. If you have double shrouding like a stealth suit that is over 25" during nightfight would you get a +4 cover save?
16. Can a guard veteran squad get + 4 save, cammo, and melta bombs all 3 upgrades for 90 points?
17. Are psychic powers usable if coming via reserve. Tervigon walking on the board can it cast endurance or fire a wytchfire power.

That's all the questions that I can remember that cam up today.

One flaw I notice with Tau is multi assaults. If you assault with like one gaunt and than with the squad you actually want in combat you make the Tau player forfeight an over watch kill.

More questions?

18. If in a challenge you are toughness 5 and your squad is majority toughness 4. Wuld you be t 4 in a challenge or t 5.

19.on the warp storm table do you roll for scatter or does it always scatter?

Arkitek

Anybody who knows better feel free to correct any mistakes;
1. No.
2. Spore mines can never contest nor claim objectives.
3. It explodes if it ends the move within 2". So wherever it is.
4. I believe it would block LOS to the Doom of Malan'tai.
5. No.
6. See 5.
7. I don't know.
8. I don't know.
9. I don't know.
10. I don't know.
11. I don't know.
12. I don't know.
13. No.
14. No.
15. Stealth and shrouding stack, but I don't think you can have multiple Shroudings.
16. No, you have to pick carapace OR cameleoline.
17. Yes.
18. Toughness 5. Majority Toughness is dead with 5th.
19. I have no idea.

Kudos on your solution to mass overwatch. Very Tyranid-like.
"Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune

knightperson

5. I believe some psychic powers can be cast while in combat, but certainly not witchfires or anything that has to be targeted. Activating a force weapon is a psychic power of a sort, and that can only be done in melee.

7. Unless otherwise specified, Enfeeble would not stack with itself. It might stack with other abilities that do similar things.

10. correct, but you have to decide which ones to reroll before you see their results.

11. I think so.

12. Witchfires would definitely be snapshots if you could cast them, which means no blast or template ones.

15. Agreed. Stealth stacks with Shrouding, but neither one stacks with itself.

18. I believe majority toughness still exists, but it doesn't apply in challenges. For all practical purposes a challenge is a completely separate fight: one single-model unit against another. The stats of the rest of the squad don't matter.
Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.

Chicop76

I understand the 2", I am asking if it ends it move into base contact. Saying within means to me at lmost 2" away. The ending move part means it is still moving. Basically if it is within 2", but ends 3" it will not explode. Thinking about it it will explode 1" out since you have to be 1" away and can't assault with it. Sleep works wonders.

I understand both witchfires can't and beams can't. I think it's all legit, but I did get some no you can't do that. Mal and blessings both can be used in combat. The problem was the caster and due to the force weapon exaple it seems you can.

On #10 that's crazy. How what is the purpose of re rolling before I see the dice. Heck I just roll them one at a time which is legal. That way I can re roll the last I guess. That seems weird to me.

I guess I can spin some time to figure out my answers. My gosh I hate FAQs.

With the Tau I ran in front of his face. I sure did get rapid fired a lot, but when I finally assulted in like turn 3 I was mass assaulting. I could had assaulted in turn 2, but waited for more models to catch up.

What really helped was my spore mines. They kept him out of terrain and wedged a gap between his army, 3 spore mines was nice, might do 6 next time. Thanks to having a re rollable 2 my doom and trygon isolated half his army from the rest which allowed me to kill a good chunk of his army 300 style. Although my deep striking units died it allowed me to push up with the rest of my army with less shots heading it's way.   

Arkitek

That can't be right. Just roll 3D6 and pick the lowest. Re-rolling without seeing the result is entirely pointless.
"Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune

Chicop76

Quote from: Arkitek on May 28, 2013, 01:41:09 PM
That can't be right. Just roll 3D6 and pick the lowest. Re-rolling without seeing the result is entirely pointless.

However fleet allows you to re roll charge and run distance. It says you can actually pick and choose how many die you want to re roll. For example if you roll a 6 and 1 fleet will allow you to re roll the one to let's say a 4.

The problm going to dfficult is you roll 3 dice and pick the lowest. Fleet should allow you to re roll 1, 2, or 3 dice to get a better result. I really do not see if it works any kind of way.

Oh more questions?

1. Moving up and down the skyshield is it difficult?
2. Can you assault through the floor?
3. Do you have to use the ladders as assault points?
4. If a barrage center lands in the rear of a tank does it hit rear armour or does it still hit side armour.
4. It's not a building or ruin so what now?

Arkitek

1. No.
2. No.
3. Yes.
4. Side armour.
5. I thought it was a building?

Chicop76

I spent half the day reading FAQ, the main book, and several differant codexes. I was able to answer a bit of my own questions. While some I am not sure.

1. As far as I can tell yes. I didn't see anywhere it was otherwise, so in purge and scouring they do so.

2. They seem to contest and claim. If playing scoring they can contest. Also it seems they can get line breaker. Anyway I can't find anything that says otherwise.

3. It moves d6" in any direction. If it comes into contact it explodes, but you must be "1 away from a model. My best inturpetation is that it stops "1 away and detonates once it end it's move. I can see it also hitting than detonating, but I can't find anything saying otherwise. It just seems it assumes it can hit.

4. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop. Only GW knows.

5. Yes unless it says otherwise. Like witchfire.

6. I say yes. Nothing counters me doing so.

7. It does stack. 0 strength is possible and can kill the model, but you are limited to lowering any anttribute via Mal by minimum of one. Which means 3 mal attacks from nids is very deadly. Say helly to toughness 3 riptide.

8. Nope. Follows normal vehicle rules.

9. Look out sir from the guard codex autopass. So Kell, Nogg, and bodyguard automatically passes.

10. I found this in the FAQ. It says roll 3 and you can re roll while using the two lowest. You can pick and choose what dice you want to roll. I can quote just too lazy.

11. Yes. Same rules via snap shots.

12. Snap shots

13. Yes as long as the unit shooting is not in combat and can fire into fresh units assaulting a tau unit within 6"

14. Have to look depends if it says 12"-24" or 12" and farther. I done did enogh reading.

15.don't know

16. Looks like you can have all 3. Army builder let's you do it as well.

17. I spaced this one since it took me awhile to get all the info.

The Main book says any power that is in the start of the movemnt phase is unusable and you can witchfire, etc.

The FAQ allows Blessings to be used. Which mean no to Maladictions, etc.

18. Toughness 5 main book or was it FAQ don't remember one of the two.

19. Scatter means you follow normal scatter rules unless it specifically says always scatter like the MOO

20. Shyshield up and down is difficult

21. Nope and yes. You have to see to be able to assault. If you would had assaulted and their is no room on pad than you can place under pad.

22. It's unique no access points. Says so in profile.

23. Should had read more still gussing side unit I read if the blast hole is not hiiting the tank, but is behind the tank.

24. Skyshield is claasified as unique.

knightperson

I might have been unclear in my description. You roll all three dice, decide which ones you want to reroll, then do so. I don't believe it is legal to reroll one of the dice, see what its second result is, THEN decide to reroll the next lowest. If you get a 6, a 4, and a 1 you can't reroll the 1, find that you still don't have enough distance to make the assault, then decide to reroll the 4. You either say "I'll reroll the 1 and the 4" or "I'll just reroll the 1".

Chicop76

Quote from: knightperson on May 29, 2013, 07:07:26 AM

I might have been unclear in my description. You roll all three dice, decide which ones you want to reroll, then do so. I don't believe it is legal to reroll one of the dice, see what its second result is, THEN decide to reroll the next lowest. If you get a 6, a 4, and a 1 you can't reroll the 1, find that you still don't have enough distance to make the assault, then decide to reroll the 4. You either say "I'll reroll the 1 and the 4" or "I'll just reroll the 1".

I'm going by what the faq says and I know it's hard to understand my points at times.

1. Unit a rolls 3 d 6 due to difficult terrain.
2. A 1 , 2 , 6 is rolled, as it stands you can only assault 3"
3. Due to fleet you can re roll the one and two, you do not have to re roll the 6 since fleet allows you to re roll one, two, or all the die.
4. A 4, 3, is rolled with you keeping the 6. Now you can assault 7 inches instead of 3.

On page 35 it staes "... you can re-roll one or more of the dice...such as a single d6.."

In the FAQ it further goes into you can pretty much just pick and choose what dice you want to re roll.

I do get now that you ment you can re roll all of them now.

knightperson

Yes, you can reroll none, 1, 2, or all 3 dice in that situation, but that wasn't my point. I believe that you must decide after seeing the first throw which dice you are going to reroll. You don't get to reroll one of them, see its result, THEN decide to reroll one of the others.

Chicop76

Quote from: knightperson on May 29, 2013, 03:32:28 PM
Yes, you can reroll none, 1, 2, or all 3 dice in that situation, but that wasn't my point. I believe that you must decide after seeing the first throw which dice you are going to reroll. You don't get to reroll one of them, see its result, THEN decide to reroll one of the others.

I understand what you getting at. That was one of the ways others had seen it too. That is why I broke down and read the FAQ that was 10 pages long. It was an issue and they said how to do it.

This situation comes up a lot due to me running a lot of models with fleet. I just wish you could re roll in normal movement when you are going through terrain. Grant it I can give them move through cover, but they would miss out on those re rolls to hut.

Waaaghpower

Spore Mines never count as killpoints. It says something along those lines under their entry in the 'nids codex.
Don't know about the others.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Chicop76

Quote from: Waaaghpower on June 02, 2013, 09:20:16 PM
Spore Mines never count as killpoints. It says something along those lines under their entry in the 'nids codex.
Don't know about the others.

where does it say that please,