News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Support commander

Started by salamut2202, April 15, 2013, 02:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

salamut2202

The codex alludes to brainier commanders that sit in the back, so I was thinking...

Commander=163 points
Drone controller
Shield generator
Iridium armour
Twin linked missile pods

Attatch to a gundrone squad, swap them all out with marker drones, ad drones to taste. Sure, it can reach almost over 300 points but you can have up to 12, BS 5 networked markerlights with jetpacks! Point it at any unit that you want to die and it will be hit guaranteed.

Scalphunta

Lets add to that with support bodyguards! I'm running Shadow sun with 2 bodyguards. 1 has twin-linked burst with multi-spectrum. The other has twin-linked plasma with command and control. First round, Shadowsun leaves unit and then they join the closest monstrous unit (Ion Accelerator Riptide). Nasty combo, which I beleive is legal.
Quote from: Chapter Master Seth on January 12, 2011, 02:07:02 AM
I'm not even kidding though. I really do like [you]. :\

I consider [you] my best friend on the site and somebody I'd like to meet in person.

Chicop76

Quote from: salamut2202 on April 15, 2013, 02:21:20 AM
The codex alludes to brainier commanders that sit in the back, so I was thinking...

Commander=163 points
Drone controller
Shield generator
Iridium armour
Twin linked missile pods

Attatch to a gundrone squad, swap them all out with marker drones, ad drones to taste. Sure, it can reach almost over 300 points but you can have up to 12, BS 5 networked markerlights with jetpacks! Point it at any unit that you want to die and it will be hit guaranteed.

We talked about it in my area. I personally think 12 bs 5 marker lights on on targer is overkill. However I was thinking a stealth team with 5 marker lights with 4 at bs 5.

Are you can get 6 marker drones with a body guard of crisis suits, or 16 marker drones with O'Shoava and his body guard.

Also I think iridium armor is slightly silly due to majority toughness negates the 5 toughness.

Alcibiates

My current commander is very bare bones, but runs along these lines. Base commander, iridium armor, drone controller, two marker light drones. He attaches to a unit of 5 marker light drones (I find seven to be optimal based upon dice odds. Seven is the magic number to land four hits, which is the optimum number to spend to either make one missileside squad bs4/5 {suits/drones} ignore cover or two units bs4/5, with bs4/5 being the mathematical optimal number for 3 missilesides and six drones shoring. Iridium makes las cannons not insta death him, so he can soak wounds if needed. It also makes non-ap2 weapons half as effective.

Sincerely,
A math junkie.

InsaneTD

Quote from: Scalphunta on April 15, 2013, 02:46:23 AM
Lets add to that with support bodyguards! I'm running Shadow sun with 2 bodyguards. 1 has twin-linked burst with multi-spectrum. The other has twin-linked plasma with command and control. First round, Shadowsun leaves unit and then they join the closest monstrous unit (Ion Accelerator Riptide). Nasty combo, which I beleive is legal.
Actually it's not, if you buy HQ Crisis bodyguards for shadowsun, she loses IC until they die and can't leave the squad, that said, it is a nasty squad as is.

I didn't think Majority Toughness even existed with wound allocation.

Chicop76

Quote from: Tybalt Defet on April 15, 2013, 04:06:47 AM
Actually it's not, if you buy HQ Crisis bodyguards for shadowsun, she loses IC until they die and can't leave the squad, that said, it is a nasty squad as is.

It does. He woul be going off tougness 4 in a squadof drones. However I think it won't cause instant death however since he is toughness 5 in the lascannon scenrio.

Scalphunta

Lets add to that with support bodyguards! I'm running Shadow sun with 2 bodyguards. 1 has twin-linked burst with multi-spectrum. The other has twin-linked plasma with command and control. First round, Shadowsun leaves unit and then they join the closest monstrous unit (Ion Accelerator Riptide). Nasty combo, which I believe is legal.

I stand corrected. I checked the rule and wording. Shadowsun or any Tau Commander does not have to start with their Bodyguard team attached. The rule highlights the benefit of having them but it is not mandatory. The reason for my suggestion being illegal is the Riptide's monstrous creature rule, not the IC rule. Majority toughness is still there but the problem occurs if a precision shot or a high volume of shots strikes the majority toughness.

I consider [you] my best friend on the site and somebody I'd like to meet in person.

Chicop76

Quote from: Scalphunta on April 15, 2013, 11:03:47 AM
Lets add to that with support bodyguards! I'm running Shadow sun with 2 bodyguards. 1 has twin-linked burst with multi-spectrum. The other has twin-linked plasma with command and control. First round, Shadowsun leaves unit and then they join the closest monstrous unit (Ion Accelerator Riptide). Nasty combo, which I believe is legal.

My question is what if you takethe missle pods. The missle pods is not a MC and it turns the Riptide into a 2-3 man unit.

I stand corrected. I checked the rule and wording. Shadowsun or any Tau Commander does not have to start with their Bodyguard team attached. The rule highlights the benefit of having them but it is not mandatory. The reason for my suggestion being illegal is the Riptide's monstrous creature rule, not the IC rule. Majority toughness is still there but the problem occurs if a precision shot or a high volume of shots strikes the majority toughness.

KCKitsune

Here's something that might get me dread socked, but for the LOLs... Commander with Multi-spectrum Sensor (or XV-84 if you're allowed to use Forgeworld crisis suits), Vectored Retro-thrusters, Iridium Armor, Stim Injector... leading a squad of broadsides.  You get jumped... you can break off combat WITH the broadsides.  The rules say that the broadsides can't take the retro-thrusters, but if any model has it then they can all use it. 

Now here's where it gets even more stupid.  You can have 6 shield drones.  You can take "Look Out Sir" and have it so that when you get shot with lascannons, the shield drone can try to take it.  If it buys it... you have five more!
From the Makers of Lemon Flavored Kitten souls, comes the newest in Taste Sensations... Mutant Evil Sauce(tm)*!

Mutant Evil Sauce is Good(tm) on EVERYTHING

* == Evil Snacks Inc is not responsible for any uncontrolled outbreaks of flesh eating zombies

Scalphunta

"My question is what if you takethe missle pods. The missle pods is not a MC and it turns the Riptide into a 2-3 man unit."

The Shielded missile drones are considered an upgrade making the Riptide and Drones their own unit.

BlackPowderChocobo

Yea, that's how Shadowsun can join a Riptide by having the Riptide taking drones, or so I've been told.  Seems downright nasty to me.  Give the Riptide the Heavy Burstcannon, a Target Lock and Stim Injectors and he can target infantry while Shadowsun and SMDs target armor.  Give Shadowsun the Command Link Drone and the unit will destroy targets (Shadowsun will have to roll 2 1's to miss and the Riptide can prevent Gets Hots from Nova Charging the HBC with the rerolls).  It's a points sink, but will be fun to try once :P
I'm sorry Tony the Yodelling Shetland Pony can't sing tonight.  He's a little hoarse.

Chicop76

Quote from: BlackPowderChocobo on April 17, 2013, 04:00:22 PM
Yea, that's how Shadowsun can join a Riptide by having the Riptide taking drones, or so I've been told.  Seems downright nasty to me.  Give the Riptide the Heavy Burstcannon, a Target Lock and Stim Injectors and he can target infantry while Shadowsun and SMDs target armor.  Give Shadowsun the Command Link Drone and the unit will destroy targets (Shadowsun will have to roll 2 1's to miss and the Riptide can prevent Gets Hots from Nova Charging the HBC with the rerolls).  It's a points sink, but will be fun to try once :P

not to mention 3d6 movement as well.