News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

gaming questions?

Started by Chicop76, June 02, 2013, 02:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicop76

While I played a tournament yesturday. I should had came in second, but came in 3rd place. I messed up in my first game rather badly and basically beat myself :facepalm001: I wouldn't had won, but could had easily tied the game which made a differance on who won.

I was playing tau/ daemons while everyone else was playing either necrons or greyknights. What was funny was I was the only tau, 2 marines, and one eldar player. 

Any way I was playing desperate allies. The first quaestion is this.

If you take desperate allies do both armies roll on the d6 roll or the primary attachment. On the chart daemons and tau are desperate allies to each other. In army formation the Tau is the primary detachment while daemons is the ally detacthment.

Also if you have an Ethereal whose aura is leadership 10 an if he declines a challenge is the squad leadership 7/8 or are they still leadership 10.

DEF Knight

what do you mean roll on the d6?

also for the Ethereal as far as I know they should still get leadership 10 because it's an aura power- declining a challenge means your character does not participate in combat, they're functionally out of the squad, which is why their leadership bonus does not normally apply. It's an aura however, so it applies simply because the Ethereal is nearby, not actually in the squad.

Cammerz

"At the start of each of your Movement phases, each of your units within 6" of a Desperate Ally unit must roll a D6 - on a roll of a 1, that unit cannot move, shoot, run or assault that turn (they're too busy watching for betrayal)."

I'd say that this refers to every unit (allied or otherwise) within 6" of the other. So if there is a unit of Bloodletters with 6" of a unit of Fire Warriors, both would have to roll.

Chicop76

Quote from: DEF Knight on June 02, 2013, 03:29:38 PM

also for the Ethereal as far as I know they should still get leadership 10 because it's an aura power- declining a challenge means your character does not participate in combat, they're functionally out of the squad, which is why their leadership bonus does not normally apply. It's an aura however, so it applies simply because the Ethereal is nearby, not actually in the squad.

I argued that to. It cost me the game. Basically his necron lord was tarpited by my firewarriors.

knightperson

Quote from: DEF Knight on June 02, 2013, 03:29:38 PM

I'm not sure on this one. Doesn't the rule for declined challenges say something about the special abilities of the guy who slinks away no longer being usable? I suppose "special abilities" probably isn't well defined, is it?

But I agree on the desperate allies question. It's not your whole army that has to roll for One Eye Open, but any unit of either detachment that is too close to a unit from the other detachment will have to roll.
Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.

Narric

Quote from: Rulebook, Page 64Refusing a Challenge
Alternatively, you can simply refuse the challenge and choose to have your character slink away with sullied honour but beating heart(s). If you refuse, your opponent gets to nominate one of your characters from those that could have accepted. The chosen model cannot strike blows at all this turn, as he is thereafter putting all of his effort into staying clear of the vengeful enemy character. Furthermore, his leadership cannot be used by the rest of the unit for the remainder of the phase -- skulking amongst the ranks is not the stuff of heroism![/b]

Emphasis GWs.

Aura or No, the Ethereal was the Character in the unit. He declined the challenge and so his leadership cannot be used. Even if you have a Shas'ui, your opponent is going to select your Ethereal.

Its simple really. You're not going to take someone seriously if they back down when they should stand up.

His "Aura" however, could probably still benefit other units within range, and aren't in the same combat, as they wouldn't have personally seen the Ethereal refusing the challenge.

Chicop76

Quote from: Narric on June 03, 2013, 10:51:14 AM
Quote from: Rulebook, Page 64Refusing a Challenge
Alternatively, you can simply refuse the challenge and choose to have your character slink away with sullied honour but beating heart(s). If you refuse, your opponent gets to nominate one of your characters from those that could have accepted. The chosen model cannot strike blows at all this turn, as he is thereafter putting all of his effort into staying clear of the vengeful enemy character. Furthermore, his leadership cannot be used by the rest of the unit for the remainder of the phase -- skulking amongst the ranks is not the stuff of heroism![/b]

Emphasis GWs.

Aura or No, the Ethereal was the Character in the unit. He declined the challenge and so his leadership cannot be used. Even if you have a Shas'ui, your opponent is going to select your Ethereal.

Its simple really. You're not going to take someone seriously if they back down when they should stand up.

His "Aura" however, could probably still benefit other units within range, and aren't in the same combat, as they wouldn't have personally seen the Ethereal refusing the challenge.

I think the lesson here is I should had detach him from the squad.x

knightperson

I think the lesson here is that you should have a shas'ui in the squad. Your opponent does not issue a challenge to the ethereal (rule-wise, anyway), he issues a challenge to the squad. The shas'ui can step up to take the challenge, saving the ethereal to handle the leadership check. In some cases, it would actually be to the Tau's advantage to issue the challenge. If the character on the other side is a close-combat monster with 5 powerfist attacks or something, he will only kill ONE model in a challenge. That's better than losing half the squad!
Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.

Chicop76

Quote from: knightperson on June 03, 2013, 04:28:18 PM
I think the lesson here is that you should have a shas'ui in the squad. Your opponent does not issue a challenge to the ethereal (rule-wise, anyway), he issues a challenge to the squad. The shas'ui can step up to take the challenge, saving the ethereal to handle the leadership check. In some cases, it would actually be to the Tau's advantage to issue the challenge. If the character on the other side is a close-combat monster with 5 powerfist attacks or something, he will only kill ONE model in a challenge. That's better than losing half the squad!

In that situation I shouldn't had kept my ethereal in the squad. Sure a throw away sarge would had helped, bu in that situation the game would had ended, before he got through killing all the firewarriors. He was only killing 1 or 2 at a time against 10 firewarriors at turn 5. I only left him in it due to I thought it would impair the leadership of the squad. In that situation it was better that the ethereal didn't join combat and he was in terrain that he couldn't be targeted at all. More I think about it the game would had been a tie if my ethereal left the squad.

I thought about taking an upgrade character, but out of what 20 games this situation came up, and I could had avoided it anyway by not being being in combat. Again no reason for the upgrade character. If it was a bloodthirster I ca easily see your point, but it always dies a horibble death.