News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

How is everyone's Tau is doing?

Started by Chicop76, May 16, 2013, 03:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightperson

Well, you only need one model of each unit within 6" of a model in the other unit, so you don't have to pack them super close. Keep close to maximum spacing for coherency and leave one or two guys reaching out towards a central point and you won't lose all that many to a blast. Admittedly, your opponent can aim a large blast at that center and be basically guaranteed  to hit something.

I think the important part about the massed overwatch is if you have pathfinders behind the fire warrior gunline and they can get a markerlight hit or two, then you've just doubled the hits from the next unit to fire. Another option is if there is a crisis team with flamers in the mix, I don't see any reason why they can't do wall of flame even if they are behind the charged unit.
Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.

Pottsey

Quote from: Chicop76 on May 20, 2013, 08:28:25 PM
Quote from: Arkitek on May 20, 2013, 03:17:16 PM
We usually play objectives at my place. I've won one game and drew another. Mind you, I have not been using allies.

That said, if you're tabling your opponent, its because there isn't enough terrain on the board, in my humble opinion.

Let me put it this way. Against nids we had enough terrain to cover 2/3 of the board. 2 pieces was 2x2 and was ruin 3 story buildings. The rest was like 6 forest, 6 other medium sized ruins 3 stories, and 2 smaller ruins.

To put more the whole board would have been terrain, played those games before, it's rather annoying.

Now on my placement I made sure I minimized terrain blocking los. The only time he didn't get a cover save was via over watch.

The reason why he lost so bad was he wanted to play kill points instead of objectives. Also I was striping cover saves from him all day. I had to move units around buildings at times to even get the oppurtunity to shoot him.

Quite honestly Tau putting a bunch of terrain on the board is benefiting Tau more than people think.

1. Now you making the other army take even longer to get to you and shortening possible attack ranges.
2. Tau is getting cover saves and the other player is losing cover saves due to terrain ignore abilities

What you should say is enough block line of sight terrain. Even this is a benefit. If you get your army close and fail to assault they are now exposed to like 300 bs 5 rapid fire shots which wipes them out.

The last edition Tau you could had said the same thing, but now it's like when it's the Tau's turn the Tau player just can shoot away like the terrain is not there.

If anything I would say no terrain may help armies like daemons actually beat Tau.

Let's not mention night fight. I've found night fight just benefits Tau again. All the suits and vehicles can easily fire away like it's broad day light. Everyone else can benefit from marker lights that take away cover saves. In reality night fight just hurts the other player.

I love it when I talked to a Necron player that was saying I can make it nigh fight for you and daylight on my turn for an easy win. I told him I have enough equipment to where my whole army ignores night fight anyway.

I just want to say pathfinders don't need black sun filters. Marker lights max range is 36" which makes getting night vision null and void. Since the seeker missile ignores night fight it is silly to even bother with filters in pathfinder squads unless you are using the mini rail guns.
Quote from: Pottsey on May 20, 2013, 05:46:46 PM
Quote from: Chicop76 on May 16, 2013, 08:49:30 PM
I wasn't using riptides till I played them in a few games. After using one you ask yourself why bother with crisis suits or stealth suits. The. Long reaching pie plate of doom kills all. It is flavor of the month though :(.

I was thinking of using an ion on longstrike myself. 1st of 3 strength 8 pie plates is really good with ap 2 or ap 3. The ion canon is helpful against dem monsters.

I droped expesive longstrike for more broadsides for now.

I agree with your Ethereal points. It's funny when you do it to a person who doesn't know about the mass over watch.

Typical reaction is the rip tide does what??? Once they get over the rip tide and see the ethereal in action the WTF start coming out and once you start the mass over watch with 12 fire warriors with 36 times you get the Tau insults.

Like I said I'm still trying to see how good Tau is. Out of the 6th edition codexes the Tau codex is the best one. However when compared to the reall strong meta list it's hard to tell.

What's worst most people are playing the new armies, or crons mostly.

The cron played I played was ok, but so far Grey Knights, Space Wolves, and Ig scare me more than crons so far.
I do not get how people are mass over watching unless they misread the rules. Unless you jam pack your units all together you barely get any extra overwatch shots. If you do that one blast and you lose 3 squads. I find the extra overwatch nice but not that usefull. My last game I did not manage to kill 1 single enemy unit and overwatch barely gave me any extra shots. Nids are proving to be a problem as you just do not have the firepower or range to deal with swams and MC.
"Near by let's say 6" away I have 2 other fire warrior teams, an ethereal which turns kroot and tau overwatch shooting 3x, a riptide, and my broadside team."
I do not see how you can possibly have all that in 6" unless you are doing supporting fire differently to us. I was told the rules mean models within 6" not units. Say I had a Kroot in a chunga line maybe 2 or 3 Kroot could support fire and the rest would be out of 6"
Last game and I can show a photo later I had Nid warriors deep strike turn 2 and get about 10 glancing hits on my hammerhead rear armor blowing it up. Then the turn after they took 3 wounds of my battlesuits with shooting then went into assault to finish them off. 3 other MC came on from reserves on turn 2 in my deployment zone and the spearhead of his army has MC's with 2+ armor save, feel know pain, regen and at least one of them had Will not die. I did wounds but not enough to kill anything and with two regens per MC a turn lots of the wounds came back. How are we meant to deal with that as Tau? I lost most of my firepower before even getting a chance to shoot in turn 2. He always take barrage as well so bubble wrapping key units with Kroot does not work.

Pottsey

Quote from: knightperson on May 20, 2013, 08:36:18 PM
Well, you only need one model of each unit within 6" of a model in the other unit, so you don't have to pack them super close. Keep close to maximum spacing for coherency and leave one or two guys reaching out towards a central point and you won't lose all that many to a blast. Admittedly, your opponent can aim a large blast at that center and be basically guaranteed  to hit something.

I think the important part about the massed overwatch is if you have pathfinders behind the fire warrior gunline and they can get a markerlight hit or two, then you've just doubled the hits from the next unit to fire. Another option is if there is a crisis team with flamers in the mix, I don't see any reason why they can't do wall of flame even if they are behind the charged unit.
I was about to do it like that in my last game but was told that is incorrect and not what the rule says. A model that is in a unit and in 6" can support fire. You have to measure 6" per model and part of the unit outside of 6" cannot support fire. The rule does not say units it says models.

Railgun Convention

"All friendly models within 6" of the charging unit's target", so yeah, models only. Which means compactness.
So how many crashes have I survived now?

Chicop76

I just looked at it again. the unit just have to be 6" away for th whole unit to support. It's worded in a way that just the models with supporting fire can shoot. Meaning a farseer in the unit wouldn't be able to do so.

Quote from: Railgun Convention on May 21, 2013, 07:39:25 AM
"All friendly models within 6" of the charging unit's target", so yeah, models only. Which means compactness.
Wow! Good catch! Than why take fire wariors at all. That means you have to bunch up to the extreme. If you do use it only x models in that unit can do. If 4 out of 12 is in range of one over watch ability and another squad get assaulted and the other 6 can't do anything cause the unit already overwatched.

That's a very huge differance. It is still workable, but thinking about it some more it makes the riptide much better, crisis suits, and broadsides. Taking a ton of troops doesn't really he'll with over watch due to mass bunching.
Quote from: Pottsey on May 21, 2013, 06:52:32 AM
Quote from: Chicop76 on May 20, 2013, 08:28:25 PM
Quote from: Arkitek on May 20, 2013, 03:17:16 PM
We usually play objectives at my place. I've won one game and drew another. Mind you, I have not been using allies.

That said, if you're tabling your opponent, its because there isn't enough terrain on the board, in my humble opinion.

Let me put it this way. Against nids we had enough terrain to cover 2/3 of the board. 2 pieces was 2x2 and was ruin 3 story buildings. The rest was like 6 forest, 6 other medium sized ruins 3 stories, and 2 smaller ruins.

To put more the whole board would have been terrain, played those games before, it's rather annoying.

Now on my placement I made sure I minimized terrain blocking los. The only time he didn't get a cover save was via over watch.

The reason why he lost so bad was he wanted to play kill points instead of objectives. Also I was striping cover saves from him all day. I had to move units around buildings at times to even get the oppurtunity to shoot him.

Quite honestly Tau putting a bunch of terrain on the board is benefiting Tau more than people think.

1. Now you making the other army take even longer to get to you and shortening possible attack ranges.
2. Tau is getting cover saves and the other player is losing cover saves due to terrain ignore abilities

What you should say is enough block line of sight terrain. Even this is a benefit. If you get your army close and fail to assault they are now exposed to like 300 bs 5 rapid fire shots which wipes them out.

The last edition Tau you could had said the same thing, but now it's like when it's the Tau's turn the Tau player just can shoot away like the terrain is not there.

If anything I would say no terrain may help armies like daemons actually beat Tau.

Let's not mention night fight. I've found night fight just benefits Tau again. All the suits and vehicles can easily fire away like it's broad day light. Everyone else can benefit from marker lights that take away cover saves. In reality night fight just hurts the other player.

I love it when I talked to a Necron player that was saying I can make it nigh fight for you and daylight on my turn for an easy win. I told him I have enough equipment to where my whole army ignores night fight anyway.

I just want to say pathfinders don't need black sun filters. Marker lights max range is 36" which makes getting night vision null and void. Since the seeker missile ignores night fight it is silly to even bother with filters in pathfinder squads unless you are using the mini rail guns.
Quote from: Pottsey on May 20, 2013, 05:46:46 PM
Quote from: Chicop76 on May 16, 2013, 08:49:30 PM
I wasn't using riptides till I played them in a few games. After using one you ask yourself why bother with crisis suits or stealth suits. The. Long reaching pie plate of doom kills all. It is flavor of the month though :(.

I was thinking of using an ion on longstrike myself. 1st of 3 strength 8 pie plates is really good with ap 2 or ap 3. The ion canon is helpful against dem monsters.

I droped expesive longstrike for more broadsides for now.

I agree with your Ethereal points. It's funny when you do it to a person who doesn't know about the mass over watch.

Typical reaction is the rip tide does what??? Once they get over the rip tide and see the ethereal in action the WTF start coming out and once you start the mass over watch with 12 fire warriors with 36 times you get the Tau insults.

Like I said I'm still trying to see how good Tau is. Out of the 6th edition codexes the Tau codex is the best one. However when compared to the reall strong meta list it's hard to tell.

What's worst most people are playing the new armies, or crons mostly.

The cron played I played was ok, but so far Grey Knights, Space Wolves, and Ig scare me more than crons so far.
I do not get how people are mass over watching unless they misread the rules. Unless you jam pack your units all together you barely get any extra overwatch shots. If you do that one blast and you lose 3 squads. I find the extra overwatch nice but not that usefull. My last game I did not manage to kill 1 single enemy unit and overwatch barely gave me any extra shots. Nids are proving to be a problem as you just do not have the firepower or range to deal with swams and MC.
"Near by let's say 6" away I have 2 other fire warrior teams, an ethereal which turns kroot and tau overwatch shooting 3x, a riptide, and my broadside team."
I do not see how you can possibly have all that in 6" unless you are doing supporting fire differently to us. I was told the rules mean models within 6" not units. Say I had a Kroot in a chunga line maybe 2 or 3 Kroot could support fire and the rest would be out of 6"
Last game and I can show a photo later I had Nid warriors deep strike turn 2 and get about 10 glancing hits on my hammerhead rear armor blowing it up. Then the turn after they took 3 wounds of my battlesuits with shooting then went into assault to finish them off. 3 other MC came on from reserves on turn 2 in my deployment zone and the spearhead of his army has MC's with 2+ armor save, feel know pain, regen and at least one of them had Will not die. I did wounds but not enough to kill anything and with two regens per MC a turn lots of the wounds came back. How are we meant to deal with that as Tau? I lost most of my firepower before even getting a chance to shoot in turn 2. He always take barrage as well so bubble wrapping key units with Kroot does not work.

You should reply about 6th edition nids which are very easy to table lol.

It sounds like drop pod gaunts, Tyrannofex, and biovore's. It can be done, hince why I run with 2 riptides. Also I have a skyray.

All I can say is strip cover and down the creatures that is the worst threat. The Tyranofexes usually go for the 2 strength 10 shots. To be honest unless if it is geared in that way I would ignore it. If it has the torrent flamer than that is a differant story. You can't ignore that.

If he has trygons and tyrants I would get rid of them as a priority. Mainly his psykers. The tervigons are dangerous in 6 th now, but you can weather their fire. Tau can also deal with the gaunt spawning as well.

The best you can do is keep a cool head and shoot away. If nid x gonna take 4 turns to get to you and is close combat, why are you shooting at it in the first two turns.

My last game against nids I picked up if I go first kill all the it will not die users. Regeneration is not bad, but it will not die is too good.

In otherwords kill the tervigons or tyrants that have it will not die as a power, if they are too well protected than kill a tervigon.

Turn 1 you should go for his alpha strike like biovores, hiveguard, tervigons, and any model that can engage you in turn one. In turn 2 kill the range and any models that can kill you in turn 2 and move from there.

I have to re look at the tyranid codex since I didn't read it since 5th, even though I play it a few times in 6th, got everything memorized with them. Daemons I am still remembering all th changes and Tau is easy to remember.

I still would had won the games I played, but due to using that over watch rule wrong I would had lost a few units.

Chicop76

That is incorrect. I am quoting from the book to eliminate confusion.

Pg. 104 " Suppori Fire: When an enemy charges, all friendly models with this special rule in units within 6" of the unit being charged can choose to fire Overwatch."

Pg. 32 says the exact same thing, but specifies to treat like targets of the charge "... Remember that a unit can still only fire Overwatch once each phase.

In other words if the friendly model decides to overwatch they have to be in a unit within 6!

To word it this way

" ... all friendly models with this special rule within 6" of the chargng unit's target can choose to ..."

When I delete in units than it would just be models within 6" away.

Carrelio

Chicop's interpretation above is the correct one; supporting fire is activated by the unit being within 6", but only models with the rule may take advantage of it.  This means a Shas'O joined to a kroot squad could supporting fire if the kroot unit was in 6" of an enemy, but the kroot could not.  Or as stated earlier, if a Farseer was part of a fire warrior unit, she couldn't supporting fire, but the rest of the models in the unit could.

Pottsey

I keep hearing nids are easy to table but in my local area they are rated as the hardest to beat army's. They are the one army I massively struggle against. Biovores are always placed in area terrain, behind ruins and/or out of LoS so how do we kill them?

I find as Tau we have 1 turn of shooting perhaps two if lucky then we get tabled.

Last game it was turn 2 and 2 Mawlocs poped up in my deployment zone, 1 Tervigon came on from reserves in my deployment zone spawning termagants soon after and warriors deep strike via spores doing 27 shots killing pretty much whatever they hit. After all that I have pretty much lost all my firepower and the turn after its CC time for them.
It might help if I had a riptide, must get one.

Chicop76

Quote from: Pottsey on May 21, 2013, 04:12:37 PM
I keep hearing nids are easy to table but in my local area they are rated as the hardest to beat army's. They are the one army I massively struggle against. Biovores are always placed in area terrain, behind ruins and/or out of LoS so how do we kill them?

I find as Tau we have 1 turn of shooting perhaps two if lucky then we get tabled.

Last game it was turn 2 and 2 Mawlocs poped up in my deployment zone, 1 Tervigon came on from reserves in my deployment zone spawning termagants soon after and warriors deep strike via spores doing 27 shots killing pretty much whatever they hit. After all that I have pretty much lost all my firepower and the turn after its CC time for them.
It might help if I had a riptide, must get one.

In your case you should have early warning systems on all your suits. Also it's important if they are cheating or not with the Mawlock. Many gammers get it wrong in favor of them maxing out the wrongly interpeted use.

The Mawlock has a marker. Than roll for deep strike. It's powers only goes off if it actually lands on top of a unit. It can still mishap by being within 1", lol, or going off the board edge. It's not that great due to it sucking and combat and a mis hit means rapid fire death. Unless you are deepstriking on large units, or a master at deep strike rolling a Trygon is much better.

Nids plays all kinds of ways to be honest. If you are facing droping nids you need to take interceptors. My intecepting units can kill a trygon easy.

Nids win tournaments. Like I said before I never got tabled playing nids. I lost games, but never tabled. I don't have a problem beating nids due to me playing them since 2005. Anyway that is why I have 40 kroot snipers in my army.

Tx Carrelio!!!

Pottsey

Thanks for the advice. One more question battlesuits plasma or fusion and twin linked or two weapons? I also prefer your version of over watch supporting fire.

Chicop76

Quote from: Pottsey on May 21, 2013, 06:54:42 PM
Thanks for the advice. One more question battlesuits plasma or fusion and twin linked or two weapons? I also prefer your version of over watch supporting fire.

"Twin linked counts as a single weapon of that type". Pg 43 it's paraphrased, but I quoted in case. Any way to have twin linked you must take two weapons. On pg 95 you notice for example a heavy bolter 20/25. If you wanted on heavy bolter it will cost 20. If you wanted a twin linked heavy bolter it will cost 25.

When you want two weapons you pay double, so 2 heavy bolter would cost 40. Tau FAQ for the taking two weapons.

If let's say you overwatch with twin you can fire it as one weapon and be able to fire it. If you take two weapons you can only fire one.

Honestly with the two weapon thing. No one cared that MC's for example was overwatching with two weapons. When tau came out with the new dex is when people start quoting you can't fire two weapons.

Personally I think you can. Honestly I will start doing one and hop that FAQ clears it up. It only impact my riptides anyway, so it's not a big deal, and my broadsides.

I think taking two weapons is a good ideal though. I wouldn't go missile pods due to the sides. You can go 3 suits with 6 fusion guns or 2 fusion guns w/ target and 4 plasma with early warning. With two weapons you can keep firing, while with one you lose the ability to fire a turn if you use the early warning.

One thought is to put 3 plasma rifles on your suit. Making on twin. That way on over watch you can use your twin and fire both with one of them being twin. An intercepting commaner would be cool to have with 3 weapons.