News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Why, Games Workshop, Why?

Started by Waaaghpower, April 19, 2013, 03:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waaaghpower

Is it just me, or does it seem like Games Workshop is actively trying to kill their own company?
As a preface, I ONLY buy models in their store (an official GW,) because I like the guy who works there and I want the place to not close. If I went to another hobby shop, I'd buy from them. Otherwise, I'd buy from the internets. They have about the worst prices you can get, (seeing as everywhere else gives a discount it seems like,) and almost everything can be found on Ebay for a fraction of the cost if you make sure to get deals.
In other words, I only buy from them because their in-store customer service is great.

Aaaanyways... So I wanted to pick up some Sisters of Battle. In store, I directly ordered the models I wanted. Payed cash. All the models were in stock and would ship to the store with their next shipment of product to the store. Easy peasy, no shipping, fantastic. (I could have gotten free shipping anyways due to the cost of the models, but whatever.)
That was last Saturday. Today I get an E-mail telling me 'One or more items is out of stock' and that it'll be at least a 1-2 week delay while they get it. I'm watching the same stuff on Ebay, keep in mind... I have the option to call them and remove the out of stock items, of course, but only during standard mon-fri business hours.
Meanwhile, I'm looking at their website where they SAY they are in stock of everything I ordered.

Tomorrow, I'm going to call, cancel everything not in stock, and get a refund. Then I am going to buy what I didn't get off of Ebay. Hopefully it won't be hard to get a refund, but since I payed in cash at the store... Something tells me this won't be easy nor fun.

But hey, the customer service is great!
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Deraj

I'm all for ragging on gw and their business practices, and I buy from my lgs for the same reason you do, but to be surprised by SoB being out of stock, and only a 1-2 week delay is a bit much. Hell, go on their website and I bet below several of their models in the SoB section it will tell you that there will be a shipping delay. Before they got finecast I always had the same problem with ogre models, be they gorgers or maneaters.

Don't let this sour on buying from your lgs, but at the same time don't feel like you have to get absolutely everything from there either.

Chicop76

Quote from: Waaaghpower on April 19, 2013, 03:23:33 AM
Is it just me, or does it seem like Games Workshop is actively trying to kill their own company?
As a preface, I ONLY buy models in their store (an official GW,) because I like the guy who works there and I want the place to not close. If I went to another hobby shop, I'd buy from them. Otherwise, I'd buy from the internets. They have about the worst prices you can get, (seeing as everywhere else gives a discount it seems like,) and almost everything can be found on Ebay for a fraction of the cost if you make sure to get deals.
In other words, I only buy from them because their in-store customer service is great.

Aaaanyways... So I wanted to pick up some Sisters of Battle. In store, I directly ordered the models I wanted. Payed cash. All the models were in stock and would ship to the store with their next shipment of product to the store. Easy peasy, no shipping, fantastic. (I could have gotten free shipping anyways due to the cost of the models, but whatever.)
That was last Saturday. Today I get an E-mail telling me 'One or more items is out of stock' and that it'll be at least a 1-2 week delay while they get it. I'm watching the same stuff on Ebay, keep in mind... I have the option to call them and remove the out of stock items, of course, but only during standard mon-fri business hours.
Meanwhile, I'm looking at their website where they SAY they are in stock of everything I ordered.

Tomorrow, I'm going to call, cancel everything not in stock, and get a refund. Then I am going to buy what I didn't get off of Ebay. Hopefully it won't be hard to get a refund, but since I payed in cash at the store... Something tells me this won't be easy nor fun.

But hey, the customer service is great!

Before the update the models was half the price. I saw buy them of ebay if you can get the cost of what they use to be. A squad of 10 sisters in a pack cost be roughly 40 american dollars or about 30 pounds. I waited for the update and the models doubled, plus they have to be bought in 3s. i almost quit the hobby off that.

Irisado

It doesn't sound like a major issue to me.  If there's an error on the website regarding what's in stock, why not just inform them?  Mistakes do happen.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente