News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

The Tau Codex

Started by The Man They Call Jayne, April 05, 2013, 12:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackPowderChocobo

Wow, if I'm reading this right, this is pretty cool:  Crisis, Broadside, Riptide, and Stealth suits come with free multitrackers and black sun filters.  Hells yeah!  This would explain the point increase on weapons now. 
I'm sorry Tony the Yodelling Shetland Pony can't sing tonight.  He's a little hoarse.

The Man They Call Jayne

You are indeed reading it right. It is pretty cool. Frees up alot of space. Marker Drones are going to become a big thing now, seeing as you can replace all the Gun Drones in a Gin Drone Squad with Marker Drones. 2 units of 4-6 of those floating around in good cover and you can really pester someone.

There are a few loopholes open to abuse. Primarily the Fireblade and Ethereal +1 shot with Pulse weapons and do they stack. If they do that means that at 15" inches, one unit is getting FOUR shots. That is just insane and cannot be what was intended.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Narric

Sounds like players who aren't beardy will have to play fair :P

The Man They Call Jayne

I am working in the assumption that you get the boost from one or the other, not both. And they both have different restrictions anyway. I shall write a list tomorrow and see how that goes, some of the Signature Systems are kinda fun. The Puretide Engram Chip for example. Or if you want to really lay down the hurt, a couple of upgrades that when paired make the unit Twinlinked and Ignore cover.

I think they have REALLY focussed on ways to make Firewarriors good units. And I think they have.

InsaneTD

Anyone else notice Aun'va guards don't have sworn protector?

And can someone please explain why kroot hounds are beasts? :facepalm001:

The Man They Call Jayne

I am more annoyed that Shield Drones don't have Sworn Protector. Seems like a thing they should have.

Narric

Aun'va guards without SP are pointless, but I don't see why a drone would be programmed for self sacrifice. They'd probably be controlled by the pilot and if the pilot doesn't recognise a threat, then how would his drones?

Kroot Hounds being beasts is curious. I'd have expected that if they could be taken as a Hound unit themselves. I guess the unit type is in place, for crafty players to kill off the Kroot first, leaving behind the Hounds :P

InsaneTD

Original drone fluff had them as willing to throw themselves in the way of danger to protect the fire warriors/controllers. You notice that you don't need the controller to have the drones anymore  it just gives an extra level of control.

The Man They Call Jayne

Yeah, the extra accuracy is nice. Although I just made a list up, and the Cataclysm, as I wanted it was 275 points. All because of the 2 Shielded Missile Drones. I don't see them being worth it frankly. Dropped them and I am down to 225 points.

InsaneTD

They do seem expensive, but I get the feeling they'll be worth the points. I've got a basic list very close to what I was running before trying new stuff. Just want to get a feel for the basic differences. Should play a game Monday.

The Man They Call Jayne

They are tough as nails sure, but they would only be BS2 as the Catty has no Drone Controller unless you take one, and then you are only getting BS3. All they are really is ablative wounds with some fire power that isn't very accurate. I cant see how that is worth almost 3 firewarriors.

New Tau are going to rely very heavily on Markerlights to get the real damage out there. Without them our shooting will be decidedly average.

InsaneTD

I think you're right. Noticed the "High-yield" missile pod was misnamed. It's an MRLS, not a high strength weapon.

The Man They Call Jayne

3 MMM88s will be the bane of fliers though. Especially if you fit Velocity Trackers. Although even Snapshots with TL with so many rounds fired, you are going to do so major damage.

InsaneTD

I'll agree with that. Gonna be the centre of my AA.

Edit, did anyone else notice pathfinders don't get stealth or shroud?