News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

GW Presents - 'Let's sell more flyers'

Started by Cammerz, February 16, 2013, 01:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cammerz

So instead of a bunch of new flyers like were suggested (although it isn't too late for them to appear), GW have released 'Death from the Skies' which is like Apocalypse in that it gives you new formations of flyers such as the 'Flight of the Valkyries' (which couldn't have been named anything else). It also allows Codex: Black Templars and Codex: Space Marines to make use of the Storm Raven so every man and his dog can get one (or several if GW have been wishing really hard).

Anyway, everything is actually already in 'New Releases' so you can buy it all right now, here's the link;
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440161a&rootCatGameStyle=wh40k

Narric

They've seriously missed the point of a Bundle deal :P

The FotV bundle is the same price as buying the contents separately :P

I'm personally starting to ignore near anything GW does. Its getting boring. They obviously have lost any connection to their past selves, and I can't help but think they did it on purpose.

Begel Dverl

So, lemme get this straight.

GW kinda nerfed the flyers out of every army list in the game.

And they took those rules, made them better, put it in a book, made it expensive, and made it Direct-Order only?

Gee Dubba-Yoo....wai?

GreaterGoodNewZealand

This honestly doesn't surprise me. Anything to sell more models, I guess. I can't blame them for trying to make money, but the bundle packs should be priced as though the buyer is getting a discount for buying such a pack, but no, they priced them by simply adding the prices of all the individual items in the packs.
I wrote a tabletop war game! It can be found here  http://thatkiwiguy.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/5/ -  if people wish to read the rules. Still working on some of the factions and most of the background.

Narric

Heh, looks like GW are at the brink of self-destruction :p

Get out why you can everybody, its going to be a spectacle of chaos when it happens.

The Allfather

I dunno, I feel like GW will survive, somehow. Even if they do crash and burn, I have a weird feeling that the game will come back...

Narric

For the most part, I have nothing real against the games they produce, Nor the staff they hire for their stores (With a few exceptions). Its the Head of the Company that needs to change

If this situation doesn't make them realize that, then they are only going to attract players for a year or two, then those players will leave for greener pastures from companies that don't force you to pay through the nose.

The Man They Call Jayne

Just did the math and when I started at the dawn of 5th edition, I got a BRB, Tau dex, battle force and an extra box of firewarriors for £115 ish. Today that exact same set up would cost £166. What justifies an extra £50? Ok the 6th ed rulebook is thicker and better quality, so I will allow maybe an extra tenner on that, but has the cost of plastic really risen so much that they can charge and extra £40? Not to mention that the EXACT same codex costs £20 now, when it was £12 at the time. Why has this happened?

As it stands, I am priced out of GW stuff unless I spend a few weeks saving up. Do they not realise that if it was cheaper they would sell more and thus make more money in the long run? As it is it seems that their plan is:

Raise price.
Notice drop in sales and therefore profit.
Make up the deficit by raising prices again.
Repeat ad nauseum.

I don't want GW to go under, I really don't. I love playing and collecting it all, but not listening to your customer base is going to bite you in the ass. Especially when the veteran players are practically staff in their regular shops.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Will's on Fire

If anyone has read the new FAQ's that have been released, as far as I can tell they removed the deep strike rule for all flyers, changed the disembark rule for the stormraven, and removed scout from the Valk and Vendetta.

Also

QuoteQ: Land Speeder Storms, Stormraven Gunships and
Stormtalon Gunships are all listed as Space Marine vehicles
in the Reference section. Does this mean that every Space
Marine Chapter now has access to these vehicles as well (i.e.
Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Grey Knights etc.)? (p411)
A: No – you may only select units and vehicles that are
available in the army list section of your codex. The two
exceptions are the Stormtalon and Stormraven Gunships,
which are only available to armies chosen from Codex:
Space Marines and Codex: Black Templars. The rules for these
Flyers can be found in the Death From the Skies
compendium

Have they just removed the stormraven from being available for BAngels and GKnights? Becase as far as I know, ONLY AVAILABLE means not for anyone else.

Am I just reading it wrong because I want it to be badly written, or is it actually badly written?

- Will

Railgun Convention

@Jayne: I'd replace ad nauseum with ad absurdium.

@Will: As written, that appears to be the case. Though I don't see why Black Templars should get any of this, seeing as it was the Dark Angels that got updated instead.
So how many crashes have I survived now?

Cammerz

Quote from: Railgun Convention on February 17, 2013, 12:00:31 AM

@Will: As written, that appears to be the case. Though I don't see why Black Templars should get any of this, seeing as it was the Dark Angels that got updated instead.

Perhaps because Dark Angels got their own flyers and the Black Templars don't have any at all?

The Allfather

Maybe they confused Black Templar with Dark Angels...

Black is a Dark color!

InsaneTD

Begel Dverl

Quote from: Will's on Fire on February 16, 2013, 11:24:26 PM
If anyone has read the new FAQ's that have been released, as far as I can tell they removed the deep strike rule for all flyers, changed the disembark rule for the stormraven, and removed scout from the Valk and Vendetta.

Also

QuoteQ: Land Speeder Storms, Stormraven Gunships and
Stormtalon Gunships are all listed as Space Marine vehicles
in the Reference section. Does this mean that every Space
Marine Chapter now has access to these vehicles as well (i.e.
Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Grey Knights etc.)? (p411)
A: No – you may only select units and vehicles that are
available in the army list section of your codex. The two
exceptions are the Stormtalon and Stormraven Gunships,
which are only available to armies chosen from Codex:
Space Marines and Codex: Black Templars. The rules for these
Flyers can be found in the Death From the Skies
compendium

Have they just removed the stormraven from being available for BAngels and GKnights? Becase as far as I know, ONLY AVAILABLE means not for anyone else.

Am I just reading it wrong because I want it to be badly written, or is it actually badly written?

- Will
Oh, I can see it now....

All of the upset/butthurt Blood Angels and Grey Knights players.....

Quote from: Tybalt Defet on February 17, 2013, 01:26:47 AM
What FAQ is that in?
The newset one.

Spoiler