News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Drone Controller Question?

Started by Chicop76, April 29, 2013, 03:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicop76

If I take a drone controller for my commander will theses drones in these situations receive his or her BS.

1. On the discription of drone controllers missile drones are not mentioned to benefit from drone controller, however under the quick referance it says drones. My question is simply if I stick my commander with broad sides would the missle drones from the broadsides receive a BS of 5 due to drone controller.

2. If I take velocity tracker and a drone controller on my commander, and stick him with broadsides. If I was to use 6 missle drones in that unit, and fire upon an air unit, would I be firing at bs 1 or 5. My think tank says that since the commander's bs is 5 shooting at an air unit it would apply to the drones as well. Originally I was thinking 6 since they don't have skyfire, but since they have the commander's bs when firing upon the target and it's 5 due to skyfire. Than the drones woul technaclly have skyfire.

My thoughts on this is I can have 12 twin linked, MC and tank hunter, ignoring cover missles that can have skyfire. I was gonna give my broadsides split fire, so my other 12 twin linked missles can fire at another target if needed, and due to the high yield twin linked part I don't really have to worry about using skyfire.

InsaneTD

I get the feeling there is supposed to be an etc in the rule. Seeing as both broadsides and the riptide can have done  controllers, be pointless on a riptide if it's drones can't benefit from it and I'd say the same was true of missile drones.

As to the second part, I dunno. I'd email GW about it and wait for the FAQ.

Carrelio

1) The quick reference works as a quick reference, thus the main rule in the codex itself overrules it.  Missile drones do not benefit from drone controllers.  Broadsides may take drone controllers because they don't actually have to take missile drones, if you wanted you could take markerdrones, or even gun drones.

2) The velocity tracker allows the user to skyfire, not his unit.  Drones would be boosted by the drone controller to BS5, and then skyfire snapshot at BS1.

Chicop76

Quote from: Carrelio on April 29, 2013, 03:36:00 PM
1) The quick reference works as a quick reference, thus the main rule in the codex itself overrules it.  Missile drones do not benefit from drone controllers.  Broadsides may take drone controllers because they don't actually have to take missile drones, if you wanted you could take markerdrones, or even gun drones.

2) The velocity tracker allows the user to skyfire, not his unit.  Drones would be boosted by the drone controller to BS5, and then skyfire snapshot at BS1.

On #2 not saying that they will get skyfire. If the bearer and drones firing at the same target the bearer will have bs 5 against that target. Meaning when they fire at target will they be bs 5 or they will just be bs 1 even though they would be 5 due to the bearer being at his full bs vs the same target.

Carrelio

Like I said, they become BS5 from the drone controller, and then must skyfire at the target, reducing them to BS1.  The drone controller gives them the bearers BS, not his special rules.

salamut2202

Drone controller
"All Gun Drones, Marker Drones and Sniper Drones in the same unit in the same unit with a drone-controller uses the bearer's Ballistic Skill instead of their own."

Velocity trackers-
"A model with a velocity tracker can choose weather or not to have the Skyfire special rule each time he makes a shooting attack."

So for question 1, until Errataed, I would say no - as written missile drones they do not benefit.

On question 2 generally on drones, I'm not sure. I am leaning more towards 'the drones are models without velocity trackers' rather than 'they use the bearer's ballistic skill, he's firing at 'x' so do the drones'.

P.S. On question 2, it is FAQed to be the latter rather than the former, my unit of marker drones lead by a drone controlling commander gives any unit I want skyfire in any practical sense.

Chicop76

Quote from: salamut2202 on April 29, 2013, 11:25:07 PM
Drone controller
"All Gun Drones, Marker Drones and Sniper Drones in the same unit in the same unit with a drone-controller uses the bearer's Ballistic Skill instead of their own."

Velocity trackers-
"A model with a velocity tracker can choose weather or not to have the Skyfire special rule each time he makes a shooting attack."

So for question 1, until Errataed, I would say no - as written missile drones they do not benefit.

On question 2 generally on drones, I'm not sure. I am leaning more towards 'the drones are models without velocity trackers' rather than 'they use the bearer's ballistic skill, he's firing at 'x' so do the drones'.

P.S. On question 2, it is FAQed to be the latter rather than the former, my unit of marker drones lead by a drone controlling commander gives any unit I want skyfire in any practical sense.

Have to relook at the FAQ, so as long as the drone controller opts to skyfire than the drones can fire at air targets.

I was thinking no on #1 since gun drones and missile drones are not the same.

However it means it would work just fine on marker drones just fine. Although I was thinking twin linked missle drones, tank hunter, and ignore cover configuration might not be a bad ideal.

salamut2202

So you think that if a drone-controller has a velocity tracker they get sky fire? Really? I wouldn't play that as is.

The Man They Call Jayne

It does state that only the model gets skyfire. A  drone controller is stated to confir the BS of the bearer and that it all it says.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

InsaneTD

I would say all drones benefit from the drone controller out it wouldn't be of any use on the riptide.

Chicop76

Quote from: salamut2202 on April 30, 2013, 05:46:37 AM
So you think that if a drone-controller has a velocity tracker they get sky fire? Really? I wouldn't play that as is.

I never said it did. Just saying that the drons have the bs of the bearer. it depends if the controllers rules overides skyfire or not. I can see it working both ways honestly.

If you fire at a flyer you are reduced to snap shots, but if the drones are linked to th bearer and raw says it has the bearears bs than they shouldn't be afflicted.

The problem I have is if it was stated that the drones start the turn with said bs and last to x and effects can lower it than I would say no. The problem is they always have the bearers bs. If his bs is reduced than all the drones would be reduced as well.

I not saying drones get skyfire.

Charistoph

The thing is, without Skyfire to override Hard To Hit, the Drones will always be reverted back to BS 1, no matter what a Drone Controller's abilities are.  It's that simple.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Chicop76

The point I am trying to make is that how long the effect last.

Seceneros:

Controller bearer have bs of 5 and the drones themselves get. Boost of +5 and not the controller. Do the drones have bs 5 or 10. I am thinking that they will have a bs of 5 unless the bearer itself receive a bonuc.

2. If commander has target lock and fires at a flyer without skyfire his bs will be one. Even though the drones have bs 2 and the bearers original bs is 5. My thinking is that it turns the drones into bs 1 even shooting at normal targets.

The point is does bonuses are negatives even apply to the drones. The drones have the bs of the bearer. If the bearer have bs of 10 than the drones do.

With the reasoning I hear so far. Than drnes wouldn't be the bs 2 bonus during overwatch since the contoller bearer can have a bs of 2 during over watch.

If the bs of the controller was a bonus similar to marker lights than I can possibly see no, but at the same time marker lights can work on snap shots. The problem I have is does the controller do these things.

A. Does the drones always have the bearer's bs.
B. Drones have bearer's bs with bonus and negatives than added.
c. Are negatives and bonuses applied first than you go by bearer's bs.
D. Does drones go by the bearer's base bs.
E. Do drone go by bearer's base bs after negatives or minuses applied.

I can go on and on. Simply if it is always than if the bearer have skyfire or they shoot at a flying target they will go by the bearer's bs. My question is does hard to hit override the controller at all, or

salamut2202

Think of it in this way. The dones still have the balistic skill of the bearer but because they don't have skyfire than it doesn't matter. If something was balistic skill 2 or 3 or 5 without skyfire they still snapshot at ballistic skill 1. If a spacemarine fires against a burner bomber does that mean his ballistic skill 1? No, he's still BS 4 but he's firing a snap shot. Same deal with the drones until further notice - they have the ballistic skill of the bearer but they're firing at ballistic skill one. Just because the bearer or marler lights are firing at a different BS doesn't mean their statline changed. Here's where it would change though, for example. A hive tyrant casts pyroxsm successfully on them and have their BS changed to 1 for the turn.

Why am I making this distinction between one's ballistic skill and the ballistic skill one shoots at? Here's the exact wording on page 13 of the Rule Book:
"If a model is forced to make Snap Shots rather than shoot normally, than its Ballistic Skill is counted as being 1 for the purpose of those shots."

The model isn't BS 1, it counts as such for that shooting.