News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

What's your loadout for your Cataclysm?

Started by KCKitsune, May 05, 2013, 12:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCKitsune

Just as the subject says:  What are you putting on your Cataclysm?  I'm thinking plasma rifle, Counterfire system, and Stim injector.

The reason I'm asking is that I want to know what everyone else is putting on their's. 

Also does anyone else think the stim injector is overpriced for what it does.
From the Makers of Lemon Flavored Kitten souls, comes the newest in Taste Sensations... Mutant Evil Sauce(tm)*!

Mutant Evil Sauce is Good(tm) on EVERYTHING

* == Evil Snacks Inc is not responsible for any uncontrolled outbreaks of flesh eating zombies

The Man They Call Jayne

Personally I go Ion Accelerator, Plasma, Velocity Tracker, Early Warning Override.

You can gun down anything you seen, and with the Override you can make a real mess of Deep Striking units that enter play in range and LOS.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

KCKitsune

How many fliers do you normally face?

The reason I'm asking this is that if you have two or three markerlight hits then you've got anti-air taken care of.

EDIT: I, of course, take the Ion Accelerator.  The Burst cannon is kinda worthless since you've got so many guns that do near that level of damage... in your troops choices
From the Makers of Lemon Flavored Kitten souls, comes the newest in Taste Sensations... Mutant Evil Sauce(tm)*!

Mutant Evil Sauce is Good(tm) on EVERYTHING

* == Evil Snacks Inc is not responsible for any uncontrolled outbreaks of flesh eating zombies

The Man They Call Jayne

1-3 depending on my opponant. And it is cheaper on him than the 60 points it would cost to deck out 3 XV88s with them. Plus better range and AP than the HYMPs my 88s have.

My markerlights have better things to fire at usually, using all 10 pathies just to get 2 markerlight hits isn't massivly cost effective, when they could be making my crisis suits or fire warriors BS5, no cover saves.

Carrelio

I've been loving the: ion accelerator, fusion blaster, early warning override.
The big benefit is that for 5 points you throw a wrench into the plans of anyone trying to take advantage of flexible deployment; you turn their ability into a way of controlling their movements based around the line of sight of your riptide.

The Man They Call Jayne

Annoyingly, you can't Nova Charge when you Intercept. That happens at the start of your movement phase, and only the Shield carries into the next round.

Carrelio

Doesn't need to nova-charge. If anything it would be ill-advisable to do so.  Overcharge on the other hand works just fine, and that will mess up hordes, meq, or teq on the deepstrike; even without overcharge, monstrous creatures and vehicles hate it.

salamut2202

Quote from: Carrelio on May 06, 2013, 01:01:10 AM
Doesn't need to nova-charge. If anything it would be ill-advisable to do so.  Overcharge on the other hand works just fine, and that will mess up hordes, meq, or teq on the deepstrike; even without overcharge, monstrous creatures and vehicles hate it.
A thousand times, this. Not to mention we have rail weaponry for high strength nastyness, not need to almost kill 200 points for it.
Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on May 05, 2013, 08:17:48 PM
1-3 depending on my opponant. And it is cheaper on him than the 60 points it would cost to deck out 3 XV88s with them. Plus better range and AP than the HYMPs my 88s have.
Not sure why you wouldn't be using skyrays if that were the case. Those strength 8 hits and networked marketlights would to a better number on them, I'd use the riptide for other things.

Okay, I'm trying out the plasma/ion build (which I shall now dub Aurora arduus just with the drones. I think the feel no pain is too spenzive for it and the reason I use it is because it practically has a battle cannon, the drones keep it alive and pop a few shots for good measure. It has worked for me so far.

BlackPowderChocobo

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on May 05, 2013, 11:33:35 PM
Annoyingly, you can't Nova Charge when you Intercept. That happens at the start of your movement phase, and only the Shield carries into the next round.

Where does it say that Jayne?  According to page 45 of the Codex, it states that whatever Nova Reactor power you select, it lasts until the start of its next Movement Phase.  Looking into the Nova-charge section for weapons, the line states that 'The Riptide Shas'vre's ion accelerator or heavy burst cannon can fire using its nova-charge profile".  Thus, there's nothing stopping you from using an nova-charge ion accelerator profile.  Honestly, it's a slightly better deal to do that to, since you're getting two uses of the nova-charge profile out of one Nova Reactor use, so on the second turn you can either choose ripple fire for more weapons or nova shield for extra defense. 
I'm sorry Tony the Yodelling Shetland Pony can't sing tonight.  He's a little hoarse.

The Man They Call Jayne

But, if your opponant went first and Drop Podded behind your lines, you cannot choose to Nova Charge in HIS turn is what I meant.

BlackPowderChocobo

Oh yes, of course.  It's why the EWO are probably going to be standard on my Broadsides now. 
I'm sorry Tony the Yodelling Shetland Pony can't sing tonight.  He's a little hoarse.

The Man They Call Jayne

They are on mine. There isn't much that can come in that is better than AV12, and anything with a T value is going to get eaten by the number of shots.