News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Codex: Space Marine Up for Pre-Order!

Started by Begel Dverl, August 03, 2013, 04:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crisis_vyper

Quote from: salamut2202 on August 08, 2013, 06:49:57 AM

New Tank

So I see a Marine Mutilator/ Obliterator/Ironmonger.

As for the Stalker, I like the looks of it.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

With regards to the Grav weapons, I have to agree. I don't see why they're Marine exclusive. Asdrubael Vect sent someone a Black Hole in a box ffs.  So long as they're quite restrictive/expensive however, I'm ok with it. So long as similar weapons are included in other codexes where appropriate.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

The Man They Call Jayne

So Marines get to be the ones with stupid anti Air capabilities. Why Are they getting what does sound like an even more powerful HYdra? As if the Hydra wasn't powerful enough already?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

crisis_vyper

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on August 08, 2013, 11:30:34 PM
So Marines get to be the ones with stupid anti Air capabilities. Why Are they getting what does sound like an even more powerful HYdra? As if the Hydra wasn't powerful enough already?

Honestly I would let them have it, and this is from a Xenos player mind you. It keeps the rest of us a little more honest, and also prevents them from being killed too quickly for our own good. They need to be a competent codex once more.

Seriously, we do not know the true range of the unit and how much points is the Stalker/Hunter. Those two factors will be the main thing that will decide its competitiveness in the new Marine army composition. So once again Jayne, just take this with salt until the true extent of it is revealed for good.  :facepalm001:

P.S: No offense, but we have been in this hobby for a while now, and we should be behaving a little better.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: crisis_vyper on August 08, 2013, 11:54:46 PM
Honestly I would let them have it, and this is from a Xenos player mind you. It keeps the rest of us a little more honest, and also prevents them from being killed too quickly for our own good. They need to be a competent codex once more.

Seriously, we do not know the true range of the unit and how much points is the Stalker/Hunter. Those two factors will be the main thing that will decide its competitiveness in the new Marine army composition. So once again Jayne, just take this with salt until the true extent of it is revealed for good.  :facepalm001:

P.S: No offense, but we have been in this hobby for a while now, and we should be behaving a little better.
Your last point is entirely valid. However there's a couple of flaws in the logic of GWwhich, while not bulletproof may explain the responses shown by Jayne and others,

1) Marines getting a (seemingly) improved anti-flier weapon. Given the Guard's American ethos of throw enough at it and bring it down the improvement doesn't seem entirely impossible. However, given that the Hydra has pretty much been the benchmark for AA the Marines getting an equivalent/improvement is highly suspicious.

2) As I've already mentioned, if Grav weapons are being introduced the Imperium should be amongst the last to implement such technology. The Dark Eldar, Eldar and Necrons should, arguably, be the first 3 factions with this capability.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Railgun Convention

Just thought I'd throw this in; the Tau have a pretty decent understanding of grav tech, and are starting to deploy it in the field (inhibitor drone), so that's one more race on the list of "We should have grav weapons first".

On the other hand, Hydras cost less than a Whirlwind and come in squadrons of three. Your move.
So how many crashes have I survived now?

The Man They Call Jayne

Well the Whirlwind is a weaksauce area bombardment weapon, and the Hydra is an AckAck unit that happens to be able to do good work against ground targets.

As fro the who coming in 3s, that is just because the IG dex needs to be seriously OP or it won't get taken seriously. They NEED Hydras and Basilisks and Leman Russes and Vendettas to come in 3s because 1 just don't do nothin'. Every other codex has shown that if you can only have a single vehicle in a slot, it is useless, so IG get 3 of everything.

Deraj

First off on the imperium being the first to get grav weapons: they've had the same gun for 10,000 years, IE since approximately the fall of the elder and when tau were throwing sticks at eachother.

And a new codex getting something better than what's in a 5 year old codex? There's no way to address that without sarcasm.

And a third thought: I would love to like those suits, the idea would seem great for a warsmith or an iron father or such, but.... man are they ugly. I do love the idea of them bringing back a mk 1 look to tanks though.

The Man They Call Jayne

A new codex getting something better than a 5 year old one, no problem. Getting something better than what is in a 5 year old codex that is STILL considered to have the best toys, some of which are STILL outperforming things from the current new codexes, problem. A Hydra or 2 makes flyers redundant. It has skyfire and it ignores any cover saves you might choose to take, it is TL to ignore IGs mid level BS because heaven forbid they have a weakness, and it's weapons have the range to cover the whole damn table. And it might have Interceptor, I admit I don't know that bit for sure. And it is cheap as all hell too.

WHY does that need improving on other than "Because fuck it why not"?

Chicop76

Remember that Marines can find lost technology and use it. What's possible is they could had gra tech thousands of years ago and rediscovered it.

Thantos

Quote from: Chicop76 on August 09, 2013, 06:11:02 AM
Remember that Marines can find lost technology and use it. What's possible is they could had gra tech thousands of years ago and rediscovered it.

Scene 17. Marneus Calgar and Lion El'Jonson are playing Wii Boxing.

Lion: Ha! Take that! Knockout! I beat you again Marny-arse! In your face!

Marneus: Whatever ... that move wasnt codex astartes approved anyway. It doesnt count...

Marneus slumps down on the sofa in defeat, his hand comes into contact with something between the cushions

Marneus: Hey!

He digs down and pulls an object out from between the seats, covered in bits of fluff, broken up tissues and the odd melted jellybaby

Marneus: Nice! I found another STC!

Lion: Oh? Really .... thats great.... great... really great.... HEY! Want another round? Ive changed the colour of my gloves!

Marneus: Yea sure, load it up . . . Hmm an STC for grav weapons... this must have been there since the heresy days! Hey Lion, i wonder what other STCs are down the back of our sofa!

Marneus blows dust off the STC and sets it aside ready to fish in the sofa

Lion: Yea not now Marny-arse! Round 1 is starting. Put um up!

Marneus grabs his Wii remote again and forgets all about the likely cache of STCs down the back of their sofa until the next time when Space Marines get a new codex released.

:P

New one

Doest seem to fit with the current marines... although if its an old rogue trader style imperial robot... that would be cool :D

Narric

Quote from: crisis_vyper on August 08, 2013, 11:54:46 PM

"keeps the rest of us honest" Well, clearly GW release updates to ensure a balanced game for all races. We have never seen them Release something just because, or maybe to boost sales ;)

All it means is that the Riptide/Wraithtitan/Helbrute have something they have to destroy first, before continuing with the players personal targeting choices.

Yes we have all been in this hobby for a while now. Some of us are seeing more negative aspects of GW, while others are not.

Quote from: Chicop76 on August 09, 2013, 06:11:02 AM
And theres the one thing that makes Marines somewhat a Mary Sue race. They will always be able to pull out their arse the best equipment to deal with the current (Meta)game, and they only need to say "We found an STC *shrug*" its an overused and quite frankly lazy tool to add new features. If we were told "The Mechanicum has been developing this since this first contact with the Eldar/Anomalous threat" it makes the equipment seem like a genuine addition, that the Marines and Imperium have worked towards. They've had to field test it, they've had to prototype it. It makes Marines feel less sterile. But no, GW will always pull "Its a rediscovered STC" because why not, they've done before.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: Deraj on August 09, 2013, 01:07:06 AM
First off on the imperium being the first to get grav weapons: they've had the same gun for 10,000 years, IE since approximately the fall of the elder and when tau were throwing sticks at eachother.
If they had the tech then why has there never been a mention of it? (to my knowledge at least)

Furthermore, even if it is Heresy era weaponry rediscovered, that still doesn't explain why the Eldar and Dark Eldar don't have any grav weapons as their understanding of such tech would have been far, far superior even at the dawn of the Heresy.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Wargamer

Piss-poor writing is common in GW, but surprisingly not in Forgeworld.

Storm Talon vs Storm Eagle is a prime example.

Storm Talon: "Err... we found an STC! Yeah, that's it! An STC for a gyrocoptor gunship thing that was totally used all the time in the Horus Heresy! Yeah... that sounds right... right? STC!"

Storm Eagle: "What this? Oh, it's always been there... it's just not really meant for front-line combat. If you want to go in hot you use a Thunderhawk. Storm Eagles are more for when you want to get stuff down outside of the line of fire, or if you need to perform an air strike and the Imperial Navy is too busy. It's not something that really fits into the scale or style of warfare that Warhammer 40,000 represents."

Now, how brilliant is that? How simple, elegant and utterly believable is that Storm Eagle logic? They do it again and again, taking something that fills an obvious "well they must have something that does x" role and then justifying its lack of presence thus far in believable ways. Why haven't we seen the Leman Russ Executioner before? Because they're only built on Ryza. Destroyer Tank Hunter? A bitch to build and maintain, so aren't standard issue. Firestorm Grav-Tank? Eldar Fighters are so damn scary they don't normally need AA weapons - they can count on their Nightwings achieving air superiority! Squiggoths? Feral Orks are a lot rarer than normal Orks, so you don't see that many of them.

This stuff doesn't need to be shoehorned in. It's easy to explain why it's not been seen or mentioned before. You just need to know a bit of 40K lore and care enough about it to put some effort in... which, of course, explains why Forgeworld does this (or did, not so sure these days) and GW does not.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Vyper

Quote from: Thantos on August 09, 2013, 07:54:23 AM
New one

Doest seem to fit with the current marines... although if its an old rogue trader style imperial robot... that would be cool :D

It's a transformer lol.  :derp: