News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

So... (Followup to 'A Question About Sportsmanship)

Started by Waaaghpower, April 17, 2013, 05:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waaaghpower

Remember my question about sportsmanship a few threads ago? About the guy who kept losing?

I played a non league game with him, and I think it'll be my last. In one game, he...
Tried to take 2 warlord traits or else change traits after rolling
Tried to move terrain after I deployed
Got several stats wrong on his own models
Tried to fire a squad at a tank, then use the rest of the squads guns to shoot who was in the tank
Repeatedly moved from front of the base to back of the base for free extra movement
Tried to fennagle a long scatter with a deep striking unit so it'd go twice as far and not fail (meaning he'd need like 16" of scattering.)
Complained that issuing a challenge against his furioso was 'retarded.'
Called Orks an overpowered army.
After I mentioned Ghazkull had a 2+ invuln for the turn three times, made all his terminators hit me then complained it was overpowered.
Misunderstood how fleeing from combat worked and tried to run without my sweeping advance.

Oh, and he was playing Dark Angels+Blood Angels.  And he said I won just because I had a dakkajet.
I'm never playing him again.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

The Man They Call Jayne

Sounds like a cheater a poor loser to me. Better of not playing him and advising others not to do so either.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Deraj

Why play against him? I know a few players like that and the only times I ever play them is during tourneys when I have to, and even so something I've learned about players like that: they aren't hard to beat. I get points and they get to do their favorite thing: complain. Everyone wins.

Waaaghpower

I just looked in the DA codex and realized he was using a completely fictitious rule and attributing Relentless to squads that didn't have it. Based off of 'stuff he heard from some guy I can't remember his name.'
For a while he was friendly enough, he's just gotten more and more bitchy. Also, a lot of his rules mistakes I didn't know to correct.

The Man They Call Jayne

So he wa cheating horribly and STILL lost? That guy needs a new hobby.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Mabbz

That reminds me of one time when I played a guy who claimed he had an advance copy (significantly before the release; GW had only just announced it was coming) of the latest Codex: Eldar. He didn't have it with him but he claimed he remembered the new rules. I couldn't be bothered to argue, so I let him use them.

I forget most of the stuff he came up with, but I was rather skeptical when he said his avatar had 6 wounds, and automatically regenerated d3 wounds every turn (mine and his). Also he had Eldrad killing two characters per turn with mind war, regardless of range or line of sight.

I lost, but somehow I managed to have my shaper survive about 4 turns of one-on-one combat with his avatar, which was fun.

Narric

Oh dear, someone forgot how to have fun :P

Well, you're definately the innocent party in this, and probably the one to be worse off. At worst, he's going to complain about a Powergaming Ork player, and try and muddy up your name.

Live and Let die, and make sure people hear the truth from you.

As to the guy needing a new hobby?
A new hobby won't do much, and more than likely he'll just dirty those waters also. What he needs is a swift kick in the attitude, and to not be such a brat in games.

Waaaghpower

Okay, I'm surprised.
He just asked me for strategy help.

Osiris

just say no Waaagh. if it doesnt work out for him, he'll blame you. next thing you know youll have a stalker, and then your car will go missing, and youll notice teeth marks on your models, and then your work-station will get weird notes saying "I know what you did last summer"; it is just to risky to help this guy out. best to let him down easy.
IF - 5k
UM - 2k
Eldar - 2k

Narric

I agree with Osiris.

However I say no becuase the guy has both turned you down when you offered yourself, and has now shown how little he cares for fun and just wants to win. Giving him "Strategy help" will only make him think he can act a dick and still get what he wants.

Find someone who actually wants help from the get-go, and give them the time needed. This guy will be a waste of your time and knowledge.

SILK

First of all: Orks overpowered? Pfft.

Next: Refuse to play him again, then send him to Wolverhampton so I can show him the true meaning of an arse kicking. Nothing to do with the game, I just hate cheaters and bitchers. Any chance to call someone up on their bull is worth it.

Third: Don't bother giving him the advice. As others have said, it means that you get the blame for the next loss, and he will expect that exploding in a shop is the best way to get some help with his hobby.

Tom

Just to take a different tack...

Maybe you should help this guy? It seems to me that maybe he's just really immature rather than inherently evil. (How old is he by the way?)

I'm going to take the (perhaps naive) view that no mature adult can be that much of a cheat without something else going on. Perhaps he's not cheating but hasn't ever been taught sportsmanship? taught how to lose graciously, taught that there's no fun even in winning if you cheat, taught to play nice...

If nobody ever plays with this chap he's never going to get a chance to learn how to be a good sport.

I would avoid playing him in a competitive setting where it's going to be really upsetting being told you're a bad sport for taking such an 'overpowered' army all the while he's got really bad etiquette and doesn't know his own rules but as the whole topic is about sportsmanship perhaps you can take it upon yourself to try and fix this guy up?

Be honest about the mistakes he makes when he makes them... examples:
- when he keeps forgetting his own units' stats tell him it is something he MUST learn for himself to play
- when he moves models front-of-base to back-of-base don't say 'You're cheating!' (not that I suspect you do!) say 'Look out you're making a mistake there' or something like that.

Maybe he really is the worst player ever but it seems to me that you've got nothing to prove to him so it might be pleasantly surprising if you can improve his behaviour.

Waaaghpower

He's fourteen, I believe, and I honestly have no idea if he's cheating or just not very bright. All his made up rules he ckaims he 'heard from someone' a while ago and he just never checked it, so he night just be clumsy and a little slow.I really can't tell.

Chicop76

Quote from: Waaaghpower on April 18, 2013, 02:34:38 PM
He's fourteen, I believe, and I honestly have no idea if he's cheating or just not very bright. All his made up rules he ckaims he 'heard from someone' a while ago and he just never checked it, so he night just be clumsy and a little slow.I really can't tell.

Are you saying he went full retard. You never go full retard. I came across this every now and than. i simply move the game on and when it's over look up the rules and show it them at the end of the game. When we play again that rule issue should be a non issue. If he conviently always forget rules against his favor at that point no longer play them.