News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Tau Recon armour

Started by SILK, April 02, 2013, 09:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SILK

Heya, can't wait to start talking about the new book, so I'm just going to ask this plain and simple:

How do people feel about Pathfinders armour save being reduced to 5+? It was shown in one of the codex sneak peaks as a compilation of various types of armour available.

Is it going to be a case of "meh"? After all, what pathfinders are going to be out in the open anyway? Or is it going to really restrict their movement and deployment to ensure that 4+ cover save?

The Man They Call Jayne

The Recon armour may grant Stealth in exchange for loss of protection. Pathies are meant to be in cover and this may be a way to make them better off in there. They tend to get targeted very quickly as it is. Some sort of way to make them tougher to kill while camped out seems to be a sensible move.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

SILK

I suppose that we will have to wait and see. If they do gain the stealth special rule they may become a little too hard. A unit of pathfinders with a 3+ cover save? Thats just a little evil!

The Man They Call Jayne

But they would HAVE to be in cover, and if they arent, or some one has a flamer, they are gone, no saves. Unless its Lasguns. Also, from what I am seeing, Devilfish are no longer mandatory.

SILK

True, which brings me back to my original question: How much is that going to limit the pathfinders in their deployment and movement? After all, a ruin in the centre of your deployment would be perfect, but it isn't always there.

InsaneTD

Eh. I barely used them anyway. I'll give them a couple goes (Only cause I'll have the points to spare for a while) and see what they are like.

SILK

They still look like they will be the most point efficient way of getting markerlights into the army.

The Man They Call Jayne

Depends if the High Intensity Markerlight has moved from the Tetras onto other vehicles.

SILK

True.

But that might be on the fliers or the Skyray. Both of which are in rather hotly contested force org slots, especially if the leek proves true and the Vespid get 18" ranged guns.

The Man They Call Jayne

Well we are losing a lot of S10 AP1 thanks to the change in Broadsides. So Heavy Support is most likely going to be 3 XV88s and 1-2 Hammerheads. Although given the lower survivability of vehicles now, maybe just one Hammerhead and something else. A set of Missilesides maybe for light vehicle and Anti Horde work.

Vespid may still be smooshy as anything though, which would make them too fragile to be worth the risk. With the new Overcharged Ion weapons, we have much more AP3 than we had before.

SILK

I know it's all rumours and conjecture, but Disruption pods are meant to be granting stealth to vehicles. Combine that with movement and we can have tanks with a 4+ cover save and decent amount of armour.

Hell, play our cards right and we might just see 3+ cover if we jump back and forth between ruins.

The Man They Call Jayne

DPs give Shrouded don't they? Outside of 12" anyway. Unless that has been changed.

InsaneTD

I thought that the last FAQ made it so DPs just gave stealth now. It was the way it was worded suggested that to me. No 12" min.

Edit, any word what slot the riptide will take?

The Man They Call Jayne

Riptide is an Elite. 1 per slot.

When was the last FAQ for Tau? The last one I saw gave the DP Shrouded because people were kicking up fuss about Hammerheads getting a 3+ save and Pirahnas getting a 2+ if they went Flat Out.

InsaneTD

I must of missed one. Or I'm confusing stealth and shrouded. Which wouldn't surprise me.